Why become a member? ×

Fender American Std P (2012-2016) Colour options?

Deedee

I’m feeling the urge to fill the P shaped void in my armoury.

I’m probably going to be looking out for an American Std 2012-2016 as I’m a big fan of that model. However, my absolute top choice colour combo would be natural body with a rosewood board.

Question is, were they even available in that combination?

5 hours ago, skej21 said:

If you can find one, Jade Pearl Metallic with rosewood board was beautiful in the flesh! I reckon it wasn’t a very common choice though, so it’ll be pretty difficult to find one

Nice colour. I also like the Charcoal Frost (I do like a Charcoal bass)!

Now this is leading me down the slippery slope toward the Pro and Pro II colour options. 🤔

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deedee said:

Nice colour. I also like the Charcoal Frost (I do like a Charcoal bass)!

Now this is leading me down the slippery slope toward the Pro and Pro II colour options. 🤔

Speaking as an unbiased seller of one (ahem), the Pro II's are really worthwhile looking at. My main squeeze has got an '07 neck and I actually prefer the Pro II's 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Speaking as an unbiased seller of one (ahem), the Pro II's are really worthwhile looking at. My main squeeze has got an '07 neck and I actually prefer the Pro II's 

Yours is indeed a lovely example. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If you do a Google Image Search for natural finish rosewood fretboard American standard Ps, there are results from 1999 and 2000

That sounds about right. I had two naturals that were from that era. Lovely basses but no option to string via the base of the bridge (string though only) which I prefer doing when I use flatwounds. 

6 hours ago, Deedee said:

I used to have a Pro I with the CAR finish. Nice bass but did not like the pickup much. Ok, I could have swapped it, but I sold the bass without much of a loss and recently got a Pro II. I definitely like the Pro II pickup more than the one on the Pro I. It sounds darker too, which I like, as my bass is the dark (k)night after all 😎 

I was going to ask what the collective thoughts were on the the Pro II pickups. I’m a big fan of the Custom Shop ‘62 but not such a fan of some of the others. I think it was the Vintage I had in one P and it did sound ‘dark’ compared to the CS 62.

3 minutes ago, Deedee said:

I was going to ask what the collective thoughts were on the the Pro II pickups. I’m a big fan of the Custom Shop ‘62 but not such a fan of some of the others. I think it was the Vintage I had in one P and it did sound ‘dark’ compared to the CS 62.

In this video, you can hear both the Pro I and the new Pro II side by side.  

A bit more about the Pro II

• Thanks 1

It's not dark as such, but certainly a bit more old school than the first Pro models. It does go dark if you want it to, but it actually has quite a wide range of really useable sounds. 

If you can check one out I'd recommend it. The necks and build quality are excellent. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

It's not dark as such, but certainly a bit more old school than the first Pro models. It does go dark if you want it to, but it actually has quite a wide range of really useable sounds. 

If you can check one out I'd recommend it. The necks and build quality are excellent. 

Agree, but admittedly "old school" (k)night does not sound nearly as good as "dark" (k)night 😉 

• Haha 1

I’ll have a think. I do like the rolled fretboard edges etc and I’m sure the build quality is top notch (if they’re anything like the Elite I had which was  very well screwed together).

Ultimately there are a lot of P basses about but if I’m just going to end up putting my pickup of choice in anyway, then I may as well widen the search a little.