Why become a member? ×

Yamaha bb1100s - in a sorry state

kingforaday

The fretboard is not glued anymore.

The rust can be removed with some TLC.

The bumps are not that big.

But the main issue is definitely the fretboard.

If it stays around £100~150 GBP, that's ok, over this the highest bidder will be losing his time and money.

So sad to see this...

• Like 1

It's already at the top end of what I'd be prepared to pay - the delaminating fingerboard aside there's a lot of dismantling and cleaning up to do.  No idea what state the pickups/electronics will be in.

For the fingerboard, I'd try injecting wood glue into the crack in several places then clamping it.  I've done that before for a couple of basses with good results.

Has it been submerged in water all this time?  Yuck, what a shame!

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's already at the top end of what I'd be prepared to pay - the delaminating fingerboard aside there's a lot of dismantling and cleaning up to do.  No idea what state the pickups/electronics will be in.

For the fingerboard, I'd try injecting wood glue into the crack in several places then clamping it.  I've done that before for a couple of basses with good results.

Has it been submerged in water all this time?  Yuck, what a shame!

Yeah, weirdly the electronics and potential problems you can’t see from the pics, scare me more than what’s on show. I bought a Peavey t-45 once that was described as excellent condition and with poor pictures…. It basically looked like this when I got it. Took ages to restore and by then I hated the thing for the time it had cost me, and sold it on as soon as it was good enough to sell 

Wow! Yeah it really shot up! I hope it’s not as bad as it looks and can be restored without too much more expenditure.

To be honest if it was a Peavey T-40 I’d have probably paid over the odds, just to try and ‘save it’ - as that particular bass is a serious obsession of mine. I once paid too much for one with a snapped headstock and a hacked up body, just to get some parts to fix a different one! 

All this did was make me miss the BB450 I rebuilt a few years ago from a body and a neck with no nut and a maxed out truss rod. Actually reunited it with some of its original guts and it ended up playing at a festival.

Maybe I'll try and track it down...

46 minutes ago, neepheid said:

All this did was make me miss the BB450 I rebuilt a few years ago from a body and a neck with no nut and a maxed out truss rod. Actually reunited it with some of its original guts and it ended up playing at a festival.

just to derail this thread further (it’s my thread I can do what I like right!?) how did you deal with the maxed out truss rod issue? The old extra washer under the truss nut method or something else? I have one to sort out once I find time 

1 hour ago, kingforaday said:

just to derail this thread further (it’s my thread I can do what I like right!?) how did you deal with the maxed out truss rod issue? The old extra washer under the truss nut method or something else? I have one to sort out once I find time 

You got me - a couple of washers did the trick.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 23:12, kingforaday said:

I got in contact with Yamaha who sent me out two replacements with longer thread.

Great customer service!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I got in contact with Yamaha who sent me out two replacements with longer thread.

Great customer service!!

That’s interesting. How much longer is the nut than the standard one?

My bb1100 is fine, with plenty of adjustment, but there is a lot of threaded rod sticking out of the nut which stops closed-ended wrenches fitting.

On 09/09/2021 at 22:23, neepheid said:

Was it a Metallic Orange/Red colour?