Why become a member? ×

I want to use 2 amps with one bass....HELP...please...

bob_atherton

25 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

That isn't Kirby of Stretch fame is it?

One and the same. I also played on a Curved Air album with him just before lock-down. 

Stewart Copeland was also playing on the album.... that made my day/month/year/life...!!!

Edited by bob_atherton

On 06/09/2021 at 10:15, fretmeister said:

So 2 outputs from the bass, or a splitter box then into different paths.

1: The drives and FX into an amp with some of the low end rolled off. Loads of mids and high end clank.

2: Into a different amp & cab with the treble and some of the mids rolled off. Like a reggae dub sort of thing.

This is exactly what the Barefaced Machinist pedal does isn't it ? (not the cab part obviously)

On 24/09/2021 at 15:35, bassman7755 said:

This is exactly what the Barefaced Machinist pedal does isn't it ? (not the cab part obviously)

It's not quite how it works in my rig.

The signal is split at the end of all EQ, compression, LPF, etc. The top amp is set to a more mid punch tone, not much low end. The bottom amp feeds the lower cab which give a fat low end sound without much mid punch.

I wouldn't feel comfortable being at a gig with only one amp and only one cab, so I might as well use two of each in a very versatile rig.

37 minutes ago, bob_atherton said:

It's not quite how it works in my rig.

The signal is split at the end of all EQ, compression, LPF, etc. The top amp is set to a more mid punch tone, not much low end. The bottom amp feeds the lower cab which give a fat low end sound without much mid punch.

I wouldn't feel comfortable being at a gig with only one amp and only one cab, so I might as well use two of each in a very versatile rig.

Ah fair enough, so it looks like your not doing parallel clean+low / OD+highs as I assumed but more like bi-amping your basic tone.

I'm currently investigating various means of doing clean low / OD highs "live" at the moment (without using 2 amps ...)  as its what I use for recording, been looking at the likes of the BF machinist and Darkglass microtubes 7. Probably a discussion for the effects forum though.

Edited by bassman7755

On 21/09/2021 at 11:31, bob_atherton said:

One and the same. I also played on a Curved Air album with him just before lock-down. 

Stewart Copeland was also playing on the album.... that made my day/month/year/life...!!!

Very envious. His playing with Stretch is sublime. Stewart Copeland is a huge bonus too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bob_atherton said:

I will let him know you think that. Thanks..! FWIW we now play "why did you do it" as a slow blues, it was the original version that never made it on the album.

Thank you. Feelin' Sad on the If You Can't Beat Your Brain album is simply one of the most tasteful blues solos ever recorded.

Love the idea of the original version of WDYDI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Thank you. Feelin' Sad on the If You Can't Beat Your Brain album is simply one of the most tasteful blues solos ever recorded.

Love the idea of the original version of WDYDI.

Well, we will be playing that track and many others at a 1 off gig at The Sheppey, Glastonbury on Oct 23rd

On 05/09/2021 at 18:34, bob_atherton said:

Hi. I want to run two Barefaced 2x10 cabs with a Markbass LMIII for the top cab, and a Mesa WD800 for the bottom cab. The Markbass on its own gives me lovely articulation and sounds just right, but, looses the heft of using the Mesa on its own.

I want to also run both cabs at 4ohm to give me loads of headroom from the two amps. I thought this would be pretty straightforward but it would appear to be a bit of a minefield with reference to phase, ground loops etc. I never want to run just one cab at once so I guess I dont really need an ABY box, or do I..? Any help is very seriously appreciated. Thanks, Bob 

ABY box.  You know that an ABY works two ways, right?  Two in, one out or one in, two out? 

If you suffer from ground loop hum, see whether there's a ground switch on either of the heads, but only use it on one of the heads, not both.  All this does is effectively drop the earth on one of the amps; you will still have an active earth on the whole circuit back through the ABY; just make sure that when you're using either of the amps in insolation that that amp is grounded (ie, switch the grond loop on).

• Like 1

The protective earth ground is never lifted from the chassis, it’s not allowed (via a switch or otherwise) under any code for a class 1 safety certified device in any region that I am aware of.

Lifting circuit ground is different, though generally goes hand in hand with transformer isolation on unbalanced applications (including ABY boxes).

• Like 1