Why become a member? ×

Calling Fender jazz experts

Chopthebass

I'd say it looks exactly like the GAK 2013 PJ. The only thing that contradicts that though is the GAK blurb (and they may be mistaken) which claims it's a Dyna Gakki build. @Chopthebass's pics clearly show 'Made In Japan' on the headstock & heel. As I understand it, MIJ is exclusively used on Fujigen-built Japanese Fenders, Dynas & Tokais have 'Crafted In Japan' instead.

Having said that I'm pretty confident the bass is the same model - either GAK have their facts wrong, or both Dyna & Fujigen both produced these, which reslistically is most likely. Fujigen stopped being Fender Japan's main manufacturer in 1997, but have done occasional production runs since. This bass is probably one of those - and as such might be a bit of a rarity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

I'd say it looks exactly like the GAK 2013 PJ. The only thing that contradicts that though is the GAK blurb (and they may be mistaken) which claims it's a Dyna Gakki build. @Chopthebass's pics clearly show 'Made In Japan' on the headstock & heel. As I understand it, MIJ is exclusively used on Fujigen-built Japanese Fenders, Dynas & Tokais have 'Crafted In Japan' instead.

Having said that I'm pretty confident the bass is the same model - either GAK have their facts wrong, or both Dyna & Fujigen both produced these, which reslistically is most likely. Fujigen stopped being Fender Japan's main manufacturer in 1997, but have done occasional production runs since. This bass is probably one of those - and as such might be a bit of a rarity.

I almost don’t think I should question bassassin - but I think that the JD range are very recent ones made by Dyna.

the fender japan range seems to had a bit of a reset in the last 2-3 years with differet series and model names so it’s possible they changed manufacturer?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I almost don’t think I should question bassassin - but I think that the JD range are very recent ones made by Dyna.

the fender japan range seems to had a bit of a reset in the last 2-3 years with differet series and model names so it’s possible they changed manufacturer?

By all means question me - I might know a bit about Japanese stuff, but I'm in no way a Fender expert! If the JD prefix on this suggests it's from a recent (post Fender Japan) range then that would make sense. Not sure how it works now but Fender Japan, which was set up in 1982 as a collaboration between Fender, Kanda Shokai & Yamano Gakki came to an end a few years ago, and the use of MIJ/CIJ as specific factory designations almost certainly ended with it.

Just now, gareth said:

Personally I think some of the MIM are of equal standard such as the classic series - which I think yours was - the flea, road worn and Mike Dirnt 

Mine was really nice, I couldn’t fault it, I just thought Japanese build was supposed better, but maybe not 

26 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I’d love to know how a bass that retailed new for £950 just a few years ago, with the terrible grain matching of the bass in the OP’s photos might be worth more than its original purchase price! £700 tops shop price, more like £600 in a private sale.

If anyone has one for £600 I’m your man

• Like 1