Why become a member? ×

NBD - The dark (k)night

Eldon Tyrell

As some of you may know, I have been on the hunt for a Motown and old-school (rock) bass for quite some time. Well, the hunt is over as I recently bought this Fender American Pro II P bass in the dark night finish. Very nice bass. I especially like the smooth neck and the build quality.

It was a bit difficult to actually find a Pro II in this finish. Couldn't find one in the UK. I eventually got hold of one on reverb, seller was LL Music Center in Belgium

https://www.llmusiccenter.com/gitaren/bas.html 

The owner Luc was very nice and packed the bass super safely (double boxing). The whole transaction went smoothly and I definitely would buy from Luc again.

As you can see from the photos, I added a Dark Knight hologram sticker I found on Etsy. I just could not resist. As I always buy and sell basses (this year, so far, I've bought six and also sold six), I got a replacement pickguard to protect the original one from unwanted sticker glue. The company is called d'Andrea and the pickguard is of excellent quality with perfect fit. I cannot notice any difference between this one and Fender's original one. Could it be that they produce pickguards for Fender? Would not surprise me. Anyway, I can recommend d'Andrea in case you are looking for a replacement pickguard. I got mine from Thomann. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dandrea_p_bass_style_pickguards_for_bass.html

I also added a thumb rest. It came with two screws but I am only using one as I did not want to drill an extra hole. Still works perfectly as I am anchoring my thumb near the end of the thumb rest where the screw is. 

Finally, I changed the strings to LaBella 760 FS. I love these strings. They really help create the sound I had in my mind for this bass.

So far, so good 🙂

DK.thumb.jpg.4f1c287bb1d393b131da12429bb081c4.jpg DKIV.jpg.d7ab79c613ba065659e1a94184e615bd.jpgDKV.thumb.jpg.1c7acabfcf73d2f9cd881f749df85178.jpg

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

Holy Bass Batman! Congrats. It is always good to achieve an aim.

Cheers, mate. I am still on the hunt for a Music Man Stingray (Classic), 4 H, 2 EQ, natural finish and maple fingerboard. My "Bernard Edwards" bass. No luck so far. Maybe next year! Have to start saving money first anyway 🙂 

Edited by Eldon Tyrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TrevorG said:

Got to be one their best looking production models out there. Really nice! Nice tone too! Congrats. 

Yes, so far, so good. It not only looks cool but as I mentioned in my original post, the build quality is great too. Everything is super solid, nothing rattles, nothing buzzes, nothing's flimsy. I especially like the smooth neck. This one and the one on recent EBMM basses (Stingray Special, Cutlass and TC sig) are my fav necks.  

• Like 1

On 05/09/2021 at 04:16, jd56hawk said:

Nice to see Fender introduce a new color that's actually new!

Well, I just did some digging and Fender actually already used the colour back in the early to mid 90s for their Strats. They called it "blue pearl dust". Haven't found a bass with that finish though.

srgek0lggsyip24sfbjr.jpg.f6fe9416aecfc7b889fa178c5e0a2f4c.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Well, I just did some digging and Fender actually already used the colour back in the early to mid 90s for their Strats. They called it "blue pearl dust". Haven't found a bass with that finish though.

srgek0lggsyip24sfbjr.jpg.f6fe9416aecfc7b889fa178c5e0a2f4c.jpg

I lusted after a Strat in a finish called midnight blue (dark blue metallic) that Fender launched in the late-80's when I was around 15. I finally managed to get hold of one in the early 2000's and it didn't disappoint. 

So I sold it....why do I do these things?!

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I listed after a Strat in a finish called midnight blue (dark blue metallic) that Fender launched in the late-80's when I was around 15. I finally managed to get hold of one in the early 2000's and it didn't disappoint. 

So I sold it....why do I do these things?!

Yeah, been there, done that and got the t-shirt