Why become a member? ×

NBD - Consolidation

Bobthedog

I have been playing now for a number of years but rheumatoid arthritis in the fingers of both hands mean I struggle to get a regular position in a band. I have my 2nd gig in two years in December! Notwithstanding that I had put together four bass guitars that I loved but lockdown meant I was playing less and less and almost gave up.

I decided therefore to reduce my collection of four to one bass and just enjoy myself when I wanted to pick up a bass. Thankfully Mark at BD gave me a good deal to px all four. At the last minute I could not part with my MTD Kingston Fretless, however, so three guitars went in exchange for this absolute beauty:

Dingwall ABII 5/3. Glockenklang pre amp (passive / active), Super Fatty II pickups. Walnut Burl top / walnut chambered body. Wenge fingerboard. Ghost inlays. 3 x series / parallel switches (no idea what that means, but they change the sound).

This will probably be my last bass as I am genuinely happy with my Bergantino Forte HP / Barefaced Big Twin II and the Dingwall Super Fatty sound (My ABI also had these). The MTD Frettless is a bit of fun for me so stayed. Photos are the actual bass but are Bass Direct publicity photos.

The basses that went were my Roscoe Century Custom, Dingwall ABI and Fender MIA P.

F1.jpg

T1.jpg

RE1.jpg

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 15

Technically speaking, parallel sends the output of each coils separately where series feed the output of one coil into the other other coil. The end result is the parallel is generally a bit quieter, more traditional and has slightly scooped mids, whereas series has more volume and a more aggressive low-mid punch. It’s like the difference between a MM Stingray and a Sterling. I much prefer Series. this is different to the 4-position selector, which gives the bridge and middle pickups in series and the bridge and neck pickups in parallel. Confusing, huh!

Funnily enough I just got an ABZ5/3 with the S/P switches and I’m glad I did. Quick tip: set the outer pickups to Series and the middle to Parallel - then the 4 pickup settings will be roughly equal in volume. The ABII looks fabulous - well done :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pineweasel said:

Through body option for the B string

Really? It appears to be nowhere near the bridge end of the B string, and it doesn't even appear to align with the B-string. It would also completely defeat the purpose of those Dingwall taperwound strings.

Edit: here is a picture to illustrate the above. This is the back of a Z3 5-string, with a different type of bridge that has mounting screws on the back. A ferrule to feed the B-string through the body would have been below that furthest mounting screw, and not so close to the battery cavity.

Dingwall-Z3-6-Macassar-Ebony-Top-6-768x7

More pics of this particular bass

If anything, it looks like one of those recessed Dunlop strap locks but the position seems weird to me so I'm really curious and hope @Bobthedog will chime in :)

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Really? It appears to be nowhere near the bridge end of the B string, and it doesn't even appear to align with the B-string. It would also completely defeat the purpose of those Dingwall taperwound strings

Ah right, that's true. It was just a guess as I've seen the single B through body on some other basses.

It does appear to be a locking strap pin, the "Reach Reducing Pin" 

Edited by pineweasel
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

Ah right, that's true. It was just a guess as I've seen the single B through body on some other basses.

It does appear to be a locking strap pin, the "Reach Reducing Pin" 

That’s the badger!

image.thumb.jpeg.c3d265365fb575526956e552a0480de4.jpeg

photo from Talkbass, not mine.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, owen said:

Nice looking bass! As an aside I also have an MTD Kingston and despite the fact that I "should" sell it I just cannot part with it. They are criminally underrated.

Thank you and yup, loving this fretless one.

IMG_3206D.jpeg

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 1