Why become a member? ×

Need Nifty New Neck Now

Happy Jack

My Mike Lull P5 is slowly developing insurmountable problems. Still plays, still sounds great, but every few months I have to tweak the saddles a bit higher to avoid choking. The trussrod is either jammed solid or at the end of its travel, and proper professionals have tried to de-banana the neck without success. Time to move on.

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.

I want a 35" scale graphite neck, preferably 4-bolt (in case by sheer blind luck the holes line up), suitable for a 5-string with 19mm spacing at the bridge. Although it's to be fitted to a P-bass I would actually prefer a J-neck though I'm not precious about it.

I'm thinking maybe Modulus, maybe Status, y'know - the usual suspects. Happy to be told I've missed someone.

Suggestions? Contacts? Anyone here actually have something suitable they'd be happy to part with (for money, natch)?

You want 19 mm bridge spacing and you are in trouble. Status does not have, neither does MG. Modulus builds wide necks but I only know about complete basses, like Quantum and Genesis.

Wide 5 is pretty uncommon, so a luthier could really be your best bet. Graphite is not the most obvious choice and it will definitely cost quite some.

14 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’m shocked. A Mike Lull with a dodgy neck! When you spend that sort of money for a “quality “ bass, you should be able to rely on it performing the functions it was made for. 

I've got two Lulls and in the last five or six years (since delivery), I've never felt the need to venture anywhere near the truss rod.  These are the most stable basses I've ever owned and the JAX-T4 has the skinniest neck of any bass I've owned, as well.

With all due respect to HJ, I'm of the belief that this kind of seasonal tweaking back and forth is just a slippery slope down, but then I don't live in an area where there's huge swings in seasonal humidity.