Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Nottingham

Benjamin Bassoon

Hello folks, I am Andy from Nottingham and have finally decided to sign up after lurking for a couple of weeks.

I've been playing bass since the early 80's - although it's more of a spare time thing - and I don't get much of that. 

I started off playing drums but picked up a bass during an early band practise and it just felt right. I sold the drums and bought a Vox bass and a bass combo. In the mid 90's I bought a Bass Collection 4 string and joined / helped form a 70's disco tribute band, eventually purchasing a Musicman Stingray 5 string. I've also been in a classic 70's rock band and one or two other projects. I recently bought a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 string bass as I'm getting the itch again.

I played through a Marshall 400w bass head with a 1 x 15" and 2 x 10" cabinets. 

For me it's all about enjoying learning and playing songs that I like and the camaraderie. I'm not creative enough to do original music and it holds no appeal to me. I enjoy gigging and watching audiences getting off to the music that I'm making.

I haven't been in a band for over 10 years but am wanting to play again - if only I can find the time (having a busy job and a family).

It would be nice to meet a few fellow players and I hope to get to the Midlands meet up tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, welcomes etc. It was great to meet some of you on Saturday at the Midlands Bass Bash.

I'm so glad that I took along the Sire Marcus Miller but regret leaving it in the van until towards the end.

Hopefully we'll catch up again soon.

@SpondonBassed, you're just down the road from me (I'm at the other end of the A52, just over the Derbys/Notts border).

• Like 1