Why become a member? ×

Bass colour/ finishes

MM Stingray 62

I'm not really a fan of black guitars/basses but my main bass is black (go figure). I've never been a massive fan of white either. 

I'm won't own red guitars as (superstitiously) any time I've had a red instrument I've had a bit of bad luck. Again, highly dubious but you can't help the way you feel. 

I used to love sunburst (still do really) but it doesn't excite me as much to look at. 

I like Daphne and Sonic blue and a good surf green too but my favourite is a natural gloss finish. 

I do like a nice bit of sparkle though 😂

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I think I've owned more white basses (and guitars) than any other colour but I'm not sure I have a favourite.

At the moment I have 2 black and maple, a green and maple, white and rosewood, and metallic blue and pau ferro.

I don't mind any of them but I wouldn't be upset if they magically changed colour - unless tort was involved. Urgh.

I do have a soft spot for the Sandberg aged finishes though - especially the Masterpiece really battered looking ones. No idea why they appeal and the base colour isn't important. 

Nice that the existence of them seems to enrage some people though! :D 

I always feel that the colour of the sound of Bass guitars (clean tone) is a warm maroon type colour so that's what I tend to go for in Basses. 

Although if there was a lot of funky slap and filter stuff going on then it has to be purple. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I always feel that the colour of the sound of Bass guitars (clean tone) is a warm maroon type colour so that's what I tend to go for in Basses. 

Although if there was a lot of funky slap and filter stuff going on then it has to be purple. 

I seem to have a chocolate thing.  Precision: smooth dark; jazz: CDM with hazelnuts.

• Like 1

I think the body shape, hardware and neck all play a role in what colour looks good on a particular bass. I am currently lusting after a black body/black pickguard/maple neck p bass though.

Also, most of my basses appear to have unintentionally ended up being blue or some variety of blue, so I guess subconsciously that’s my fav colour. 

Not keen on sunburst or natural wood finishes.

I don't have a default preference, but the most of the last few basses I have fancied have been orange.

See this example from the bassist of The Orielles:

1507668179_EsmeOrielles.PNG.dea1790142abfd385bd873aa14ecd3ba.PNG

(Impact of bass is lessened somewhat by the brighter orange jumper, but what do I know about colour co-ordination!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

'm not really a fan of black guitars/basses but my main bass is black (go figure).

Me either.  

I have one precision in Black/maple/white/dot inlay pickguard and one Black/maple/black/block inlay

I prefer the look of RW for necks and don't really like block inlays but both play well and when they are hanging around my neck I can't see them anyway.  I can live with it and at least neither is tort or sunburst - if they had been I wouldn't even have picked them up to try them.

Given the choice I'd have CAR/RW/Black but the only one of those I saw in a shop didn't feel or sound as good as the one I bought.

My guitars are

Eggle: matt cherry red stain with rosewood and black pickguard.  They only made the model I bought in one colour.

Mex Tele: cream/maple/white - wasn't fussed but passed on a cheap US in sparkle silver cos I thought it looked dreadful.

ES339: Cherry/RW/black.  I wouldn't have bought anything else.

S&P acoustic: Satin spruce.

My guitars, basses, drums, car and shirts etc... are the colour they are. I don't factor it in as any sort of decisional thing; they are what they are. I acquired all for a Good Reason at the time, which hasn't changed; their tint was not one of them. My only 'thing' would be for the car : I do like it to be visible in fog, unlike many of the white/silver cars I see around. The ZX is a sort of metallic bronze, which is OK, but no more; I'd have Chrome Yellow is a first choice, for any car. I drive with the headlights on anyway, though, again, for visibility for others. :friends:

• Like 2