Why become a member? ×

Bass colour/ finishes

MM Stingray 62

I guess I've always been a sucker for trans cherry red. Metallics also work great for me. Gloss black offset with cream binding is a strong look too.

Oh whoops, I've just described my current basses, my first bass and probably about half the basses I've ever owned :)

Not what I play, but my ideal is a dark natural (non-coffee table) wood with just shellac over oil or wax finish with an ebony fingerboard.

Failing that a black finish.

My bass is a tobacco burst which I can tolerate. It has a black pickguard (and ramp) but my preference is no pickguard and a ramp that matches rhe body

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 1

It very much depends on the bass.

Daphne blue on a mustang.

Alpine white on a thunderbird

Transparent red on a mahogany bodied semiacoustic or clear transparent on a maple bodied semiacoustic

black on a steinberger (or hohner) cricket bat

Then each bass/colour will need a specific pickguard colour (if it has a pickguard of course) to complete the look...

Natural for me. 

I can live with a fine colour wash that still shows the grain. 

I can't stand anything painted. It always feels cheap to me. I know in reality the opposite is probably true. 

But I grew up playing really crap instruments that were always painted bright and shiny colours to make them look better than they were. 

I know that in reality, this has nothing to do with a good quality, well painted instrument. I just can't get over the ingrained feeling that paint = cheap and tacky. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

But I grew up playing really crap instruments that were always painted bright and shiny colours to make them look better than they were. 

I know that in reality, this has nothing to do with a good quality, well painted instrument. I just can't get over the ingrained feeling that paint = cheap and tacky. 

I have a similar thing with black basses with white pickguards.

Doesn't mater if it's a vintage pre CBS precision in mint condition

, it will still remind me of the Encores in the Argos catalogue when I was a kid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I grew up playing a natural finish guitar and found the refined tastefulness of its appearance jarred with the noises I was making with it. One day the ghost of my teenage self with be avenged and all those pretty strips of wood will disappear under a nice thick coat of blazing red.

• Like 2