Why become a member? ×

ABBA are back!!!!!. New album and ‘gig’

dave_bass5

I insisted on doing and singing a driving hard rock version of winner takes it all complete with Queenesque ' Now I'm here ' start , acapella audience sing along in the middle and motorheadish insane ending as the last song in Dr Blue's first set for several years. I even sang the proper words rather than a sweary offensive version which is what I'd usually do.. That's how good the song is.

It was when the other band members got serious - after 20 years (!) - and decided such joviality was beneath us that I knew our time was up.

Ive just listened to the new album, and don’t like it at all. 

To me its one of those albums you put on a loop Christmas morning at a low volume until the TV goes on later. 

Im sure its all very meaningful and serves its purpose, but for me its a one time play. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 03:07, Reggaebass said:

This came up on my YouTube, nice Basslines, gimme gimme gimme looks tricky 

A banjo clawhammer technique will get you there. :)  I'm not sure if Rutger played it that way but it works.

• Like 3

On 03/09/2021 at 05:22, ezbass said:

...Don’t get me started on musicals and the unoriginality of a great many of the modern ones, either stage or film. Just a soundtrack of previously released material...

I get it. And I'm not contesting you, but for perspective, maybe...

You've got 12 even-tempered notes and a closed mathematical system (theory), a small universe of popular instruments, and you're mostly surrounded by ears that like concise, catchy melodies.

The only thing that's new is the next bundle of personal energy that picks up a guitar- it either lights up or it doesn't.

The way I found to enjoy them was

to let go of my opinions (hangups) about presentation and let my ears do the listening. Abba, despite my dismissive sensibilities at the time, did a thing that my ears enjoyed hearing. Can't argue with that, even if I liked them in secret when I was 20!

Edited by Count Bassie
  • Like 1

Think it's a bit harsh to describe ABBA's music as cheesy. 'Cheese' is Agadoo, Itsy bitsy teeny weeny..., Hey macarena etc.  IMO Benny and Bjorn are every bit the equal of Lennon & Macartney, Bacharach & David and other highly respected tunesmiths. That many of their tunes are still hugely popular 40 years later attests to this. I'm not particularly a fan though I do like a lot of their hits.

• Like 7

On 06/12/2021 at 01:18, Kiwi said:

A banjo clawhammer technique will get you there. :)  I'm not sure if Rutger played it that way but it works.

Nah, I do it by dragging your fingers across the G and D strings without sounding them. Play the root then octave then drag your fingers across the strings and play the root again. works for me.

6 hours ago, ubit said:

Nah, I do it by dragging your fingers across the G and D strings without sounding them. Play the root then octave then drag your fingers across the strings and play the root again. works for me.

I use that technique for Super Trooper.