Why become a member? ×

ABBA are back!!!!!. New album and ‘gig’

dave_bass5

4 minutes ago, lowdown said:

They had it all...good tunes, good vocals good production, along with great playing and top arrangements.

I really liked Voulez-Vous, the only track they recorded outside of Sweden. The music track was recorded in Miami.

The band used were called 'Foxy', with Arnold Paseiro on Bass.

Like it. Very disco-ish. Cool bassline and not buried in the mix. I think I will look for the tabs later 🙂 

On 03/09/2021 at 07:54, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love ABBA. Cheesy pop tunes disguising deep and disturbing lyrics, written by two couples being torn apart by bitterness and divorce. Which made people tap their feet and sing along, with absolutely no idea what they're really singing about. Genius! 

I'm looking forward to hearing this one. 

Fully agree and yes, most ABBA songs are cheesy but it is good quality cheese, not cheap, plasticky cheese. But, yeah, it is still cheese and I am more the juicy and bloody steak kind of guy (aka hard rock and metal). Although there are Philly cheesesteaks. Maybe I should give it a try, like these guys did 😎

• Like 1

Never was a ABBA fan (I like maybe 4 or 5 of their songs) but I appreciate that they were something a bit special - and gave a lot of pleasure to lot of people.

However, I reckon the recent publicity photos in the papers make them look like characters from Disney's 1982  movie - 'TRON'.

Chris

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

However, I reckon the recent publicity photos in the papers make them look like characters from Disney's 1982  movie - 'TRON'.

Chris

Agree, has a bit of a TRON flavour to it. Let's see how it turns out. Gigs with avatars of living and especially dead artists could be big business soon. Just think of how many of the artists we grew up up with are now in their 70s or 80s. 

6 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Fully agree and yes, most ABBA songs are cheesy but it is good quality cheese, not cheap, plasticky cheese. But, yeah, it is still cheese and I am more the juicy and bloody steak kind of guy (aka hard rock and metal). Although there are Philly cheesesteaks. Maybe I should give it a try, like these guys did 😎

I went from Jazz to the Beatles and ‘60s pop to ABBA to Prog to hard rock and metal to electronic to punk to indie to funk to folk, accumulating everything I liked along the way. I’ve never really understood why people have a particularly strong leaning to one genre at the expense of something else, it’s a bit like saying “I love all food as long as it’s made from potatoes!”. Or, in this case, cheese. 😉😂 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I went from Jazz to the Beatles and ‘60s pop to ABBA to Prog to hard rock and metal to electronic to punk to indie to funk to folk, accumulating everything I liked along the way. I’ve never really understood why people have a particularly strong leaning to one genre at the expense of something else, it’s a bit like saying “I love all food as long as it’s made from potatoes!”. Or, in this case, cheese. 😉😂 

Maybe it's because I am lactose intolerant? 😉 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

Never was a ABBA fan (I like maybe 4 or 5 of their songs) but I appreciate that they were something a bit special - and gave a lot of pleasure to lot of people.

Chris

I suspect that may be intentional. ABBA ‘finished’ in 1982, the year Tron came out.😉

On 03/09/2021 at 11:02, ubit said:

I was the same until a few years ago I took the Mrs and my Mother to see The Miserables. When it started and they were mime digging the road I was "get me out of here". By the end of it I was out of my seat applauding the lot. That was me hooked.

I was the complete opposite - went in with an open mind, was losing the will to live after 10 minutes. 

Abba on the other hand I have gone from hating as a kid/teen through admiring and on to actually liking.

• 4 weeks later...

I put ABBA in the same bracket as the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. They're obviously well crafted songs, well performed, and the whole world likes them.

Personally... my life would be just that little bit better if I never hear another one of their tunes (😉). ABBA and ALW get nowhere near to pressing any of my buttons.

Having said that, ABBA do inspire me get around the aisles of Morrisons  like Max Verstappen around Monza😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t know why but this popped up on my YouTube, I quite enjoyed it 

Rutger Gunnarsson was a terrific musician. There was a lot more to him than just Bass playing as well.

The bassist became a part of ABBA in 1972. After struggling for a couple years, the band won the 1974 Eurovision contest with “Waterloo.” It would be the band’s first major U.S. hit, but certainly not the last. Gunnarsson played on all eight of the group’s albums in addition to multiple world tours. He played the bass lines on “Dancing Queen,” “Money Money Money,” and many more. He also contributed his arranging skills to several albums and worked on several musicals including Chess, Les Misérables, Rhapsody In Rock, 007, and Mamma Mia! After ABBA’s breakup, Gunnarsson continued to play bass and arrange for artists like Celine Dion, Elton John, Gwen Stefani, Adam Ant, and others.

ABBA paid tribute to Gunnarsson with a statement on their Facebook page. “Our friend, the bass player, guitarist, arranger and producer Rutger Gunnarsson (born 1946) has suddenly passed away in his home in Stockholm at the age of 69. His unique way of playing his bass, his beautiful string arrangements and thorough work as a producer for countless Swedish and foreign artists and musicians have colored pop music from the early 70s up until today. Rutger got the most attention through his long and intimate cooperation with Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and ABBA, participating in all of their albums, numerous singles, tours, movies and musicals. Keep plying your magic bass where ever you are Rutger.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 02/09/2021 at 18:40, Trueno said:

* I still fancy Agnetha… no digitising necessary. *

On 02/09/2021 at 18:48, ubit said:

* although I fancied the blonde bird something rotten, *

Back in the day everyone fancied 'the blonde one'. But as you get older, a bit of life experience and maturity, looking back you realise that actually the attractive one, was the one with the beard.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Back in the day everyone fancied 'the blonde one'. But as you get older, a bit of life experience and maturity, looking back you realise that actually the attractive one, was the one with the beard.

I didn’t - I always thought Frida looked more interesting