Why become a member? ×

ABBA are back!!!!!. New album and ‘gig’

dave_bass5

Lemmy was a fan... Enough said, no ?

If it's not enough, listen to this :

They are a great band and they have a great sense of the melody and composition.

Like most of us, I discovered these facts only when I grew up. It was so easy to hate them back in the day.

That said, I have none of their albums, but I don't turn the sound off when I hear them.

Muriel's Wedding was also a fantastic film for (non) Abba fans, and with an amazing Toni Collette !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

No Rutger this time around though.

True. But I assume Mike Watson, The Other ABBA studio bass player, is still around?

While lacking the quirkyness of Rutger’s unique style, he apparently (according to an ABBA bass transcription book I have) played on:

The Winner Takes it All

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Does Your Mother Know

SOS

Super Trouper

and Mamma Mia!

Some damn fine bass work on those tunes! 

Very interesting interview with Mike here, although quite a bit of music interspersed: https://thestrangebrew.co.uk/?powerpress_pinw=10527-podcast

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 1

Always loved abba . Back in the day , I used to buy lots of  7" singles . Abba , Boney M , Hot Chocolate , Sparks , atomic rooster etc etc . 
Forward to present , all 7" singles gone . Everything went heavy metal or Tangerine dream .  Still love sparks , although I'm selective about their catalogue .  Saw them a few times .  
I have a cd box set of all abba albums ,and tbh only dislike about 2-3 tracks . 
In this day and age, I'll wait to see if the new album is good . If so, I'll get that on cd too 

That album cover for Abba greatest hits reminds me of good times ...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

At least they realise they have all aged and wont be just making the best they can, unlike a lot of bands who should really not be touring anymore. 

Saw Herman’s Hermits a couple or so years ago - one original member, the drummer.  And didn’t he build up his part.

Searchers, 1.5 originals, but so sad to see them frankly (sorry) not being very good.  I believe they’ve now retired.

At least with ABBA we have all 4 originals, well, voices at least, even if they’re not performing live.

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Cheesy pop tunes disguising deep and disturbing lyrics, written by two couples being torn apart by bitterness and divorce.

I didn’t know about this until I watched a documentary on sky arts one night, really interesting program, it’s worth watching 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the front pages of the press are anything to go by, ABBA are held in the same, almost deified league as the royal family, you can’t move for big pictures of them in those motion capture suits. Never been a fan personally and the reverence they are held in escapes me.

I now have Take A Chance as an ear worm; dammit!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ezbass said:

the reverence they are held in escapes me.

Probably because they were the biggest selling act of the time and since then their songs have taken on an almost legendary status. Movies have used their songs and there has been stage shows too. I didn't like them at the time but even I have realised what they did for music.

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I didn’t know about this until I watched a documentary on sky arts one night, really interesting program, it’s worth watching 🙂

I saw that years ago. I suppose if you dig deep enough into any artists personal life you are going to find stuff that normal people put up with. When you add extreme artistic talent to that you usually get someone who is very vulnerable underneath. No one can stand massive fame without getting some kind of backlash along the way. Unless you are Dave Grohl. That man is so down to Earth it's untrue!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

Probably because they were the biggest selling act of the time and since then their songs have taken on an almost legendary status. Movies have used their songs and there has been stage shows too. I didn't like them at the time but even I have realised what they did for music.

It’s still just pop music though. Don’t get me wrong, I really like pop music. 

Don’t get me started on musicals and the unoriginality of a great many of the modern ones, either stage or film. Just a soundtrack of previously released material with a flimsy storyline. Full disclosure - I can count on the fingers of one hand the musicals I actually like. I’m not a fan. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I can count on the fingers of one hand the musicals I actually like. I’m not a fan. 

I was the same until a few years ago I took the Mrs and my Mother to see The Miserables. When it started and they were mime digging the road I was "get me out of here". By the end of it I was out of my seat applauding the lot. That was me hooked.

This is brilliant news!  Their hologram tour looks amazing from a YouTube feature.  ABBA were, and still, are one of the biggest pop groups ever and I don't think they made a bad record.  The first two new tracks are number 1 and 2 in the download chart (whatever that is) and blow all the current formulaic chart offerings out of the water.  This 70 year old bass player is a very happy bunny to know they are back!

Edited by LeftyP
  • Like 4

Not  really  into the music, but the quality of writing and  musicianship is exemplary.    Stephen Fry once said about their music is that the songs were  over engineered  into  incredible tracks.  They didnt just write parts that could be considered '  that'll do '      They went beyond the call of duty

• Like 4

They had it all...good tunes, good vocals good production, along with great playing and top arrangements.

I really liked Voulez-Vous, the only track they recorded outside of Sweden. The music track was recorded in Miami.

The band used were called 'Foxy', with Arnold Paseiro on Bass.

• Like 1