Why become a member? ×

Pairing my 2x4ohm cabs

chrisbass5

Hi all

I've got 2 barefaced cabs.... a 2x10 and a 6x10. The 6x10 is 4 ohm and the 2x10 is switchable between 4 ohm and 12ohhm. 

I'm interested in the Handbox WB 100 amp and noticed its outputs were marked at 4ohm and 8ohm. 

Is it possible to run both cabs from this amp? At the moment I use a Mesa subway d800 on the 2 ohm setting and put the cabs together for a 8x10 stack, which is great, but I fancied trying a valve sound and the Handbox is small and neat and not too heavy! 

Any help appreciated as I'm not too sure when it comes to amps/cabs/and ohms! 

Cheers. 

If you set the 2x10 to 12 ohms and ran the two cabs in parallel, you would have a 3 ohm nominal load, and the 2x10 would get 1/3 of the total power (which would mean equal power distribution to each 10").

Most valve amps are unlikely to have any problem with a 3 ohm load on the 4 ohm tap but you could always check in with the maker to see what they think of the idea.

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Most valve amps are unlikely to have any problem with a 3 ohm load on the 4 ohm tap but you could always check in with the maker to see what they think of the idea.

They would have no problem with a 3 ohm load. They'd not be pleased with a 7 ohm load, but that's what the 8 ohm tap is for. The impedance rating for SS amps is the minimum you may use, with valves it's the maximum.

• Like 1

Would running an 8ohm cab off a 4ohm tap at low volumes be a problem? I've seen plenty of discussions on this topic and the general consensus is that it's not advisable at gig volumes but I've never been clear on whether the volume is a factor. I have an SVT style amp that I picked up cheap which only has 2 or 4ohmn outputs but I only have single 8ohm cab at home for practice and I've never been sure if I run the risk if damaging the amp. The amp is a Bugera so it's possibly not the most robust thing even under perfect operating conditions.