Why become a member? ×

Boss Waza Air now available for bass. Personal Amp System.

dave_bass5

I bought one. Amazing piece of kit.

The popularity of this will accelerate the development of other products from Behringer and the like. I too was worried about the battery as a sealed unit, but the lifespan for these is likely to be less than a decade, and so for that I think it's OK. I bought the guitar version as I'm back to playing the thin stringer, but it works flawlessly for bass too. I'm yet to try it on the EUB, that's tomorrow's experiment!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I bought one. Amazing piece of kit.

The popularity of this will accelerate the development of other products from Behringer and the like. I too was worried about the battery as a sealed unit, but the lifespan for these is likely to be less than a decade, and so for that I think it's OK. I bought the guitar version as I'm back to playing the thin stringer, but it works flawlessly for bass too. I'm yet to try it on the EUB, that's tomorrow's experiment!

Just played on this for 2 hours and it’s a game changer for home practice. I’ve never heard a set of headphones this good for guitar and bass. Blown me away a bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@Bunion, presumably you’ve got a cable from bass to backbeat, then the wireless transmitter from backbeat to headphones?

Yes a short cable clipped to my strap from the bass to the backbeat then the transmitter pushes into the ‘out’ Jack of the backbeat 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Waza Air Bass prices are starting to go down a bit, £359 from PMT using the Black Friday BF10 code at checkout, £379 from GAK , still a few chancers trying to get £421 for them though.

I'm still a bit put out that the guitar version can be got for significantly cheaper though (£299) for what seems to be exactly the same hardware, I'm hoping the prices will eventually match. 

Edited by SumOne

How have people's experiences with the App been? If the Apple and Play reviews and star ratings are anything to go by then it's not great.

I'll have very high expectations of excellent sound and connectivity and functionality if paying £350+ vs the £55 Nux (which works perfectly well). It's all app based so if the app doesn't function well I think I'd be returning for a refund pretty quickly. 

image.png.560bbcf1f8cf8eeb2ca7c8bd360af5bf.png

image.thumb.png.345960bb0f9a6dfd44e35d7fcb472ed1.png

On 25/11/2021 at 13:55, SumOne said:

Waza Air Bass prices are starting to go down a bit, £359 from PMT using the Black Friday BF10 code at checkout, £379 from GAK , still a few chancers trying to get £421 for them though.

I'm still a bit put out that the guitar version can be got for significantly cheaper though (£299) for what seems to be exactly the same hardware, I'm hoping the prices will eventually match. 

Yeah it would need to come down significantly. That money could get a nice squier jazz :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving mine. I use it all the time especially in the lounge. I think I’ve got my basses pretty much dialled in now. 

On 02/12/2021 at 18:24, CameronJ said:

I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but does anyone have any issues with the transmitter in active basses? I know some “bug” type wireless transmitters don’t behave well with active electronics!

I rarely plug the transmitter straight into a bass; instead I plug it into the Backbeat pack. However I did plug it straight in to my Celinder the other day and it emitted a rhythmic pulse at about 80bpm constantly, whilst the bass itself could be heard underneath fine. It was fine having the backbeat in between. So I’m not sure what’s going on there - the pre in the Celinder is 9v but quite unusual I suppose - I could try changing the dip switches as maybe it’s something to do with that?

I almost never use the 3D setting - I find it a bit too strong - if you turn your right ear away from a real amplifier you can still hear it in your right ear quite a lot, whereas in this mode the headphones make it too quiet in the furthest side. 

I also find the headphones a tiny bit tight on my (big) head - I’ve stretched the metal fingers that hold the cups a little bit to ease some of the pressure which has worked ok. 

Finally I think the headphones slightly lack treble and boost the low mods a little. This is apparent when playing music into them but also when I transfer settings across from my VB99 which has, from what I can tell, identical patch parameters to these. On that I use Beyer DT770s which are very flat and unflattering for listening to music but playing bass through them (and on top of music) sounds like you’re doing so in a very natural sounding way, rather than a crowded soundscape. 

Once I pinpointed that with the WAZA it’s easy to compensate with a slightly higher compressor ratio and lower threshold and by EQing the upper mid and bass parts of the signal to match as closely as possible. And all in all, I like using them for streaming music as regular headphones so I’d rather that have a more flattering sound for that. 

Mine have been absolutely rock solid, I’m so happy with them and think only a couple of tiny things would make them absolutely perfect: 

- adjustable ‘pressure’ on head

- audio output/through mode

- software could be more intuitive especially when it comes to banks and effects 

- 3D-ness is a bit too strong (see above)

- It would be useful to have somewhere to store the transmitter on the headphones; some sort of clip or Jack which doesn’t engage said transmitter. Using the case is only so practical day to day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and you know I'm the pickiest person in the world when it comes to noise? These are fantastic in that regard, but because of the bluetooth-ness you can occasionally hear that kind of digital shrill chattering in the left cup when you're not playing anything. I assume that's the receiver in the cans and isolating that would be a challenge with everything else jammed in there. 

Has anyone tried the ‘live sets’ feature in the library section? Currently I’m using each stored channel 1-6 for clean patches of each bass, but wondered if the live sets could be made for each bass individually and then use channel 2-6 for that bass with certain effects? It doesn’t really explain that in the manual (and I’m not interested in downloading or sharing my patches)

Just made a nice little stand for them! Used an old laptop stand which has rubber inside to protect the contents. Also put some command strip on the side of the big, stand and headphones so I can snap them together when required. Wife isn’t impressed for some reason

D7B93A8F-89C1-4EB7-9FB1-30D7B53346D8.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ped said:

Has anyone tried the ‘live sets’ feature in the library section?

I’ll be honest I’ve been so busy I haven’t really had time to delve so apart from some compression and a few tweaks to stock that’s all I’ve been using and I’m still loving the Waza 

Edited by Bunion