Why become a member? ×

Boss Waza Air now available for bass. Personal Amp System.

dave_bass5

7 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Those look awesome @ped. Still on the fence as they are pricey at minute but hopefully will drop a bit. Enjoy

Yes, pricy but well worth it imo. Should be great at bass bashes too, so you can try other basses using your own wazas! 

• Haha 1

I think the settings you save in the app are written to the transmitter, so once you’ve set them up you only need to use the app if you want to change/engage effects or use the 3D settings. 

Just wondering if that could mean saving a clean patch with my favoured limiter settings and then in the studio simply buying a receiver to bung into the desk. Not 100 % sure if that’s true (maybe the data on the transmitter can only communicate with the headphones?) but have asked anyway. 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Pretty sure its all saved in the headphones. The transmitter is just their standard WL20 by the looks of it. 

I assumed that too but I’m sure I read it in the app manual (writing to receiver) unless they’re referring to the cans as such. I’ve asked the chaps at Boss anyway. 

The system is amazing though, and just so convenient and easy. 👍🏼👍🏼

31 minutes ago, ped said:

I assumed that too but I’m sure I read it in the app manual (writing to receiver) unless they’re referring to the cans as such. I’ve asked the chaps at Boss anyway. 

The system is amazing though, and just so convenient and easy. 👍🏼👍🏼

Not tried the bass ones, but I’ve used the guitar ones a few times now. Pretty cool features but more features than I’d need. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Can they also be used as normal Bluetooth headphones?

Yes they can, and they're excellent - very comfortable and easy to listen to. Relatively flat although slightly more pronounced lower midrange as you might expect, perhaps some slight attenuation at the very top end - but that results in a very non-fatiguing listen and when using your bass you have access to a whole range of EQs to get the exact sound you're looking for. I have recently switched from Spotify to Apple Music and some of the albums I have in my library are mastered differently which has made comparisons a bit more tricky but I'm hearing every detail - 50mm drivers designed specifically. They also go extremely loud, even with your own instrument if you want them to - without distortion.

As I mentioned I have set up my Stingray so far with a near identical sound to my existing setup and I can wander around the house with complete freedom from wires or ridicule (but only because I can't hear it!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ped said:

Yes they can, and they're excellent - very comfortable and easy to listen to. Relatively flat although slightly more pronounced lower midrange as you might expect, perhaps some slight attenuation at the very top end - but that results in a very non-fatiguing listen and when using your bass you have access to a whole range of EQs to get the exact sound you're looking for. I have recently switched from Spotify to Apple Music and some of the albums I have in my library are mastered differently which has made comparisons a bit more tricky but I'm hearing every detail - 50mm drivers designed specifically. They also go extremely loud, even with your own instrument if you want them to - without distortion.

As I mentioned I have set up my Stingray so far with a near identical sound to my existing setup and I can wander around the house with complete freedom from wires or ridicule (but only because I can't hear it!)

Nice one. Although I had just got to the point of deciding that I'm done buying Bass stuff (after spending an afternoon at Bass Direct last week and realising my Bass is just as good as anything in my price range, and getting a Stomp XL and realising that it can replace my other pedals).....this is making it look like I'll go back on that short-lived resolution! 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Nice one. Although I had just got to the point of deciding that I'm done buying Bass stuff (after spending an afternoon at Bass Direct last week and realising my Bass is just as good as anything in my price range, and getting a Stomp XL and realising that it can replace my other pedals).....this is making it look like I'll go back on that short-lived resolution! 

I see you have a nice FEA compressor  - the Roland Limiter 'effect' which is on my VB99 and these headphones is amazing, and has seen off my FEA and Cali big box.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 19:34, dave_bass5 said:

Pretty sure its all saved in the headphones. The transmitter is just their standard WL20 by the looks of it. 

The lithium batteries in the standard WL20 can't be replaced, and limit the lifetime of the unit. I wonder whether it will be possible to buy another transmitter for these. If not, it seems that the life of your expensive headphones is also limited by the inability to replace the batteries when they expire.

3 minutes ago, pete.young said:

The lithium batteries in the standard WL20 can't be replaced, and limit the lifetime of the unit. I wonder whether it will be possible to buy another transmitter for these. If not, it seems that the life of your expensive headphones is also limited by the inability to replace the batteries when they expire.

The transmitter can be any WL20 which you pair by inserting it into the 'phones. Not sure about replacing the battery in the headphones themselves, but assume they have a pretty decent service life. I'll ask if it's replaceable down the line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akarst said:

I use the Mighty Plug from Nux with bass. Sounds great, plays Spotify/whatever from my phone via bluetooth, and MUCH cheaper.

https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-plug.html

I have one of those too, and I did a review here somewhere. You're right, it's pretty cool. And ideal for a practice tool. The limitations for me were the noise, the lack of a limiter and the wire. Neat little thing though for the price, and streets ahead of the previous plugs I tried from Vox. The Rolands are well worth it though if you play along with music a lot at home and want a super hifi experience.

When I say the NUX is noisy, it's actually pretty quiet and a great little thing for the price, but there's a definite noise behind your notes when playing (almost like it's noise around the transmitted signal) which is offputting if you intend to use it in the way I had envisioned (i.e as a 'go to' headphone setup) but excellent as a travel accessory/fun 'now and then' type device, and largely not noticeable when playing with music. It was frustratingly close to being amazing for my needs. Weirdly the reduction of wires to a single one from plug to headphones somehow made that single wire more annoying. 

But yes, for the price, it's awesome.

The more I look into this the more it seems like it's not as over-priced as it initially seems - there's nothing else on the market doing what it does.

I have the Vox headphone amp but it's not very good and is being held together with tape so I had been looking at portable headphone amp alternatives like the EHX (£40 but no aux in or built in drums etc, needs wired headphones), Phil Jones Bighead (£180 for v1 £280 for v2, good sounds but needs wired headphones and wired aux in). The £52 Nux seems decent and I am tempted but it needs wired headphones and doesn't have the Waza-Air 3D sound things or the same amps and effects (and you don't get what are probably £150+ equivilant pair of bluetooth headphones with it). 

Another contendor is getting a wireless system like the XVive (£100) that obviously has the benefit of also working for live use but could also be used in conjunction with wireless headphone transmitter (£200) and monitor headphones (£150) for wireless home use. That adds up to more than the Waza-Air and seems like a lot of separate components to go wrong, I imagine it could be quite a palaver getting set up just to have a quick practice session in a different room. And it still needs wired headphones and doesn't have any of the Waza-Air phone controls or 3D sound things.

I think it's between the Waza-Air and the Nux, I can't figure out if the extra cost of the Waza-Air is worth it but I'm definitely considering it.

• Like 1

I’d happily pay it, I’m just a bit peed of you have to pay £30 extra for the case to keep it in. Around the house it probably wouldn’t matter but I travel a lot and don’t want to stuff it in a suitcase at the price it cost 

Other than these Bass ones being new and having Bass specific effects/amps etc are they doing anything additional to the guitar version? If not, the guitar ones now go for £311 on Amazon so I guess after a year these might go down to that price (I already know I'm not patient enough to wait that long though!).

Edited by SumOne

3 hours ago, ped said:

I have one of those too, and I did a review here somewhere. You're right, it's pretty cool. And ideal for a practice tool. The limitations for me were the noise, the lack of a limiter and the wire. Neat little thing though for the price, and streets ahead of the previous plugs I tried from Vox. The Rolands are well worth it though if you play along with music a lot at home and want a super hifi experience.

When I say the NUX is noisy, it's actually pretty quiet and a great little thing for the price, but there's a definite noise behind your notes when playing (almost like it's noise around the transmitted signal) which is offputting if you intend to use it in the way I had envisioned (i.e as a 'go to' headphone setup) but excellent as a travel accessory/fun 'now and then' type device, and largely not noticeable when playing with music. It was frustratingly close to being amazing for my needs. Weirdly the reduction of wires to a single one from plug to headphones somehow made that single wire more annoying. 

But yes, for the price, it's awesome.

I was looking at the Nux some time ago and dismissed it as it didn't have a compressor.  I noticed recently they've released a firmware update that unifies the guitar and bass effects, updated everything with a new algorithm and adds a compressor!. Sure, it's only a Ross circuit comp, but it's better than nothing, and will probably be fine for headphone practice.  If finances weren't so incredibly tight at the moment I'd get one now.  

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I was looking at the Nux some time ago and dismissed it as it didn't have a compressor.  I noticed recently they've released a firmware update that unifies the guitar and bass effects, updated everything with a new algorithm and adds a compressor!. Sure, it's only a Ross circuit comp, but it's better than nothing, and will probably be fine for headphone practice.  If finances weren't so incredibly tight at the moment I'd get one now.  

AH great that's good to know. I'll update mine. I might sell it now though tbh...

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

I’d happily pay it, I’m just a bit peed of you have to pay £30 extra for the case to keep it in. Around the house it probably wouldn’t matter but I travel a lot and don’t want to stuff it in a suitcase at the price it cost 

+1.

I’ll definitely be getting a Waza Air at some point, but it feels like a kick in the teeth to have to pay an extra £30 for a travel case which should have been included in the initial ~£400 purchase!

I'm actually thinking about the guitar version of this. It's a fair bit cheaper and I've got no doubt it will do a fine clean tone. Afterall the early Fender amps that are now so popular for guitar started life as bass amps in many cases.

When I practice on headphones it's really for sight reading and jazz band practice stuff so I'm not really fussed about anything other than a bit of compression.

The Guitar model does say that the clean tones are suitable for bass or acoustic guitar too.

Then I've got something I can also use for guitar. I suspect the other way round won't be nearly as useful.

The case is quite nice but the foam is cut to hold the headphones in a particular way, I.e with one cup at the end of its travel and the other on minimum. I had to cut the foam to let it accommodate them with both sides even. Also they go in the case with the right cup on the left which takes some getting used to. The zips on the case are noisy so I’ve taken them off to replace with rope toggles (made my own but have ordered some proper ones). I’m sure a cheapo non fitted case could be used just as effectively as the headphones fold flat very nicely. 

21 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm actually thinking about the guitar version of this. It's a fair bit cheaper and I've got no doubt it will do a fine clean tone. Afterall the early Fender amps that are now so popular for guitar started life as bass amps in many cases.

When I practice on headphones it's really for sight reading and jazz band practice stuff so I'm not really fussed about anything other than a bit of compression.

The Guitar model does say that the clean tones are suitable for bass or acoustic guitar too.

Then I've got something I can also use for guitar. I suspect the other way round won't be nearly as useful.

When i used the Waza it was the guitar version, and i only used a bass. Sounded just fine to me and my mate who owns it. I think you are better off going for the guitar version if you will be using guitar.