Why become a member? ×

Boss Waza Air now available for bass. Personal Amp System.

dave_bass5

I think they look awesome - I love playing with headphones and have a pretty fearsome setup for use at home. A mobile version of that would be heaven. 

I’ve tried all the other solutions and they are all a compromise to a degree. I had a long chat with Roland about these (full disclosure, they are taking out some advertising and we’re helping them promote them) and I’ll be first on the list to buy a pair (yes, buy!). 

We talked about the fact that Roland make super quality kit which is sometimes very niche, rather than items with wider appeal with compromises. Bass players are already quite niche let alone those on board with a headphone setup. But most knock it before they’ve tried it - paired with a feedback device like a backbeat or a floorboard, it’s absolutely Hifi and tactile. 

GuitarWorld : BOSS Waza air bass headphones ...

Bassists can choose between three advanced ambience setups: Surround – which places the user in a virtual room for a recording studio experience; Static – which provides natural spatial localization, changing as the user moves their head; and Stage – which delivers the amp sound from a virtual backline behind the player.

Looks interesting - but I'll wait for the cost of the tech to come down.

Edited by Dad3353

5 hours ago, ped said:

I think they look awesome - I love playing with headphones and have a pretty fearsome setup for use at home. A mobile version of that would be heaven. 

I’ve tried all the other solutions and they are all a compromise to a degree. I had a long chat with Roland about these (full disclosure, they are taking out some advertising and we’re helping them promote them) and I’ll be first on the list to buy a pair (yes, buy!). 

We talked about the fact that Roland make super quality kit which is sometimes very niche, rather than items with wider appeal with compromises. Bass players are already quite niche let alone those on board with a headphone setup. But most knock it before they’ve tried it - paired with a feedback device like a backbeat or a floorboard, it’s absolutely Hifi and tactile. 

Agreed - but there is literally zero reason why any modelling device can't deal with guitar and bass now.

The guitar version could just be updated with bass sounds. Job done.

Instead they've done a bass specific one at a higher price. That's taking the michael.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Agreed - but there is literally zero reason why any modelling device can't deal with guitar and bass now.

The guitar version could just be updated with bass sounds. Job done.

Instead they've done a bass specific one at a higher price. That's taking the michael.

I suspect the hardware varies a little, but Roland will be along to give more info in due course. I suppose the bass market is a much smaller niche than guitar, so the investment needed was going to end up making the bass model more expensive (that said I haven’t looked at the price of the guitar one) - I think the same was true of the VB99 vs VG99. I still think it’s a fair price if they’re as good as I expect (and that’s before I even think about the 3D settings and other features)

On 03/09/2021 at 12:38, TheGreek said:

Bassists can choose between three advanced ambience setups: Surround – which places the user in a virtual room for a recording studio experience; Static – which provides natural spatial localization, changing as the user moves their head; and Stage – which delivers the amp sound from a virtual backline behind the player.

This sounds like one of them solutions to a problem that doesn't exist 😄

I have the guitar version and to be honest it's not very well supported with patches, Mine when on Surround drifts a bit and its a common problem.

The Sounds are alright but not a patch on my Spark and very limited compared to that.

Hope the bass version is better but I would look elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone been checking out this advert that's poppin up on this site?

It's got some very tasty bass playing and sounds, Sandberg action, and dunno what Dave Swift's playing but sounds cool as well.

As to the actual system, if I was in the market for something like this I'd like to try it.

• Like 2

Mine just arrived!!!

Absolutely fantastic. I've had an hour or so to get set up (took 2 mins) and have given everything a very quick whirl.

Essentially, I've got everything I love about my beloved VB99 in a pair of headphones (minus the GK pickup stuff).

I set everything flat, added a touch of Boss Limiter (same settings I use normally) and a tiny bit of reverb, turned the '3D' effect off, and bang, there it is - a beautifully full and detailed unadulterated bass sound.

I had a play with the 3D stuff, which I think will be great, especially when you turn your head and get a subtle impression of an amp in front of you.

It paired with my phone for playing along with music and the app itself seamlessly. I will probably use them as headphones even when I'm not using the transmitter.

I plugged the transmitter into the output of my Backbeat so I could feel the rumble and it was perfect - of course you can plug it right into your bass, or a pedal. 

VERY little noise, barely audible and you know how picky I am about that. 

I'm really really pleased with them. I'll do a full review once I've had a proper play - but this is basically my dream product!!

• Like 4