Why become a member? ×

Ideal mini pedalboard "challenge"!

Al Krow

Hear what you are saying and as I've just been using the Zoom B1-4 as a standalone micro board so far (and will still have that option with my second B1-4), it is indeed currently doing the heavy lifting!

Tbf I'm only using fx on half a dozen songs, most work great with simple bass-->amp but it's nice to add a bit extra on occasion whether it be tape echo, chorus or a bit of drive, and I'm sure that is a common approach for many covers players.

Speaking of drive, as I've said before, the Octava is fantastic and will definitely be getting used alongside the B7K sim on the Zoom.

The Z synth isn't labelled as being a Moog clone or anything else - so it looks like it's just a Zoom effect. The blurb merely states that it "adds analog synth fatness". Which, of course, is a little amusing given that the B1-4 is a digital multifx pedal.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

My board (I only have one so it is, by default, a gigging board, creative board, amp-less board etc.) may look like this for the 80’s band. I’m contemplating swapping the Cali76 TX out for the HXStomp and using the C4 in its loop but I’ll get a play about with them both and the make a call as to what’s what. I’ve not wired the C4 up to anything yet as I’ve been trying it out solo’d. It has a lot for functionality and the octave patches I’ve tried are pretty close to the Zeus (which is an OC-2 circuit). I’d really need to try and program some similar sounding patches with fuzz and octave (or find some in the community files) and do a head to head. 

688C3FB8-0D82-4533-8AA2-E87CCE9B049B.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, krispn said:

My board (I only have one so it is, by default, a gigging board, creative board, amp-less board etc.) may look like this for the 80’s band. I’m contemplating swapping the Cali76 TX out for the HXStomp and using the C4 in its loop but I’ll get a play about with them both and the make a call as to what’s what. I’ve not wired the C4 up to anything yet as I’ve been trying it out solo’d. It has a lot for functionality and the octave patches I’ve tried are pretty close to the Zeus (which is an OC-2 circuit). I’d really need to try and program some similar sounding patches with fuzz and octave (or find some in the community files) and do a head to head. 

688C3FB8-0D82-4533-8AA2-E87CCE9B049B.jpeg

That red BB424X looks familiar!!

Lovely choice of effects, but you need a bigger board 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lee650 said:

That red BB424X looks familiar!!

Lovely choice of effects, but you need a bigger board 😁

You’re not the first to say it 😀 The Cali76 normally has a pedal playing piggyback so that helps out. Once I know what will be the final set up sorted I can make it fit… honest guv! Plus the C4 is just a loaner from a mate so not a regular. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Well I'd best do this properly then :)

1. bassfan:   OC5 > Proton > VTDI > FI > Zoom B1-4             [3 correct pedals]

2. sumone:  OC5 > Proton > Octava > VTDI > Zoom B1-4     [3 correct pedals]

3. gisserD:   SY1 > OC5 > Proton > Zoom B1-4 > VTDI          [2.5 correct pedals - "half" for SY1 instead of FI]

4. lee650:    OC5 > SY1 > YYZ > Proton > Zoom B1-4           [2.5 correct pedals - "half" for SY1 instead of FI]

5. ordep:      OC5 > SY1 >FI > Mothership > Zoom B1-4        [2 correct pedals]

What I actually went for:  FI-->OC5-->Octava-->Proton-->Zoom B1-4

You were close Darren, but sadly no cigar! Ignoring the Zoom B1-4 which wasn't optional, actually @bassfan and @SumOne were the closest with 3/4 correct choices. Paul (aka Bassfan) will be coming over in a couple of weeks to return a piece of kit before the hefty new London car taxes come into force, so I'm sure we will sort this out with beer offsets. But Ben's previously agreed meet up beer got postponed due to hols so half the winnings will gladly go towards a beer or a transfer to his ever expanding pedal fund!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, GisserD said:

You went for the FI over the boss SY1? 

I DEMAND a recount!!

Well it is a gigging mini board and the FI is an actual bass synth with hopefully some pretty usable sounds rather than a synth emulator, which is what the FI is, and for gigs having numbered presets that you can scroll through is very helpful (which the SY1 doesn't have). Just like the Zoom B1-4 in that respect. Need to  work out how to use the thing now (which took no time at all with the SY-1)...lol!

• Like 1

@Al Krowyour ideal gigging board sounds like it would be the zoom and the wireless unit and maybe an additional drive. The rest of it doesn’t sound like it’s needed or isn’t really being used…(yet?) As @GisserD says the Boss Synth might be a wiser addition than the FI considering you’re not planning to do any programming etc for quite some time but again if the zoom is proving itself why complicate matters. Save the space and weight you know it makes sense 😀

I am aware of the irony in that I always encourage folk to try their gear out in rehearsals/live but after how many years I just don’t think of you as an effects guy and trust me I’m the same. Other than one or two units I don’t use much live either as I do t really need to. It’s like this 80’s thing… I like to be prepared to step up and fill out the sound but if I don’t have to then I’m not too fussed. Having to tap dance during a song will inevitably trip me up at some point while remembering the correct bass parts!

@krispn partly agree with you 😉

I will still have the excellent option of the Zoom B1-4 as a standalone micro board together with a Boss WL-20 wireless.

Not a pedal guy? Not convinced by that! I've loved trying out LOTs of pedals over past few years. I do agree that they are more likely to be used live by me for original material rather than with my covers bands though.

Having got to grips with the B1-4 and created 40+ bespoke patches on that (pretty much all of which are shared on the Zoom B1-4 ideas thread), I do have a bit more headspace for other PC editing but there are several things on that list of which the FI is one and only so many spare hours in a week, eh? The work that @Quatschmacherhas done on the FI PC Editor software is outstanding and has turned the interface from a PITA to something really good and is the key reason I've decided to get another one; being on my gigging mini-board will be a useful nudge...fingers crossed I won't be too far behind your attempts to get up to speed on the SA C4!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...oh and Gav, you're clearly a chap who doesn't suffer from OCD! 😁

Aye the work in progress nature of it means I’ll not get too anal about a cable here or there for now only so many spare hours etc. 

I love a good mess about with pedals as I know you do but I’ve little practical application in my current bands which is the point I was making rather than you ‘dislike’ pedals. 

Your initial post was about the ideal gigging mini board for you and by your own admission you have got by with zero pedals for most gigs bar the use of the zoom more recently. If the gig doesn’t call for filter and synths it seems redundant to populate  a board with them if they’re unlike to be used for a while. I know you like the VTDI and that’s a handy pedal for going direct to the pa etc if needed so might be a good addition too. 

At the end of the day it’s your gig so you’ll know what will be good solid choices for you. 

Edited by krispn