Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congratulations to @Doctor J on his splendid win last month, and as is customary, he has supplied the following image for your inspiration and delight.

This picture, I think,  lens itself to some interesting ideas , but stay focused ....

7FB9FA0B-198D-47FE-B235-DA77DDCB7BDE.thumb.jpeg.637684c5f2f2f6ee2c30ebfdd832fda0.jpeg

Usual rules apply. You know the drill:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, summer equinox truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

Deadline wise , we will give a thumbs up to  midnight on  'International day of sign languages '  👍, and yes, yet again, again you probably have till about 19.00 on the 24th, ( the clue given here is that 'International day of sign languages 'is the 23rd).

As the challenge is starting on national letter writing day.....

Dear sir/madam 

Please take this as a green light to get busy for this month's challenge

Yours incredibly

Lurks

( I'm still probably getting these days off a U.S. site , sorry :P ) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• lurksalot pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my contribution to the August 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Doctor J.
Apologies in advance; I'm in a sombre mood, and it reflects in the result. A bit dark; more 'black' than 'white', I'm afraid. Despite this, no kittens were hurt in the making of this piece.
A collection of orchestral samples spliced together, with a 'Birds' Superior drum track to help the pace along. No Fx, just a Cockos compression preset on the drums to keep them present.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

Here it is.  

Pigeons.  Dirty, Dirty things.  I hate them.  The death of Lee Scratch Perry was in my mind when I started this, so you'll be pleased or not to discover an attempt at Dub Poetry in the comp.  

Technical details.  I didn't really know how to do the dub effects in Cubase, so the dub vox, guitar and piano are all on separe tracks - I assume I should have sent these to an FX channel but I wanted each dub effect to be slightly different.  Dub guitar is a tape echo simulator, and the others are mono delay from the Focusrite suite, with the dub piano having autopan as well.  Otherwise its pretty much as usual, Patricke Eggle New York is used for both guitar parts, and a Fender Precision for the bass into Amplitube with Fender amp sims.  The Bass is heavily compressed.  The VSTs are MT Powerdrums, Xpand2 for horns and Dexed for the piano.

• Like 4

Pigeons? They're Funky!

So here's a bit of Old Skool rap/rock to reflect this:

For those that like that sort of thing, drums are 2x EZ Drummer drum sounds (one phased Phunk, one Jabo Sparks kit) using Jabo patterns with fills and extra cymbals programmed by me. Bass is an ACG through Bass Whammy and Future Impact. Guitar is a strat through Amplitube (double tracked), rappers from New York and edited from Loopmasters loops. Mastered via Ozone 9 in Ableton.

• Like 4

took a while to find the time for this , and even then it probably wasn't anywhere near enough :lol:

I googled the photo and found all the fodder I needed , of course this is Alain Delon , this led to a veritable mine of information, which I mostly ignored and took liberties !

Techy 

EZ drummer played the most accurate parts , I hacked along with an Ibby 6 string through a Waves gtr3 patch and my (phineas and Ferb inspired) Bass-inator again through a waves gtr 3 amp setting .

The vocals were done late, on a bad weather night, when the neighbours were wrapped up tight with their windows shut , best way I find !

• Like 3

I went in a completely different (discofied) direction to start off with but then went in several other directions.

The song:

I have no specific ill will toward pigeons, unlike some of the other lads here, though I'd never fully trust one. From the perspective of the young gentleman looking through the lens, that pigeon would seem quite large. I thought of a conversation between Ted and Dougal about some cows.

The technical stuff:

I gave my brass snare an outing here. It's the Yamaha kit into Thomann and Behringer's cheapest mics and audio interface. Bass is a Blade B4 Jazz into an Avid Eleven. Guitars are a Bacchus Empire and Strat into the Eleven. No other funny business other than my dodgiest Ronnie Drew impression.

Edited by Doctor J
Some things needed to be "fixed"
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I went in a completely different (discofied) direction to start off with but then went in several other directions.

........From the perspective of the young lady looking through the lens,

That ‘young lady’ is Alain Delon 😉

you don’t fight Delon ‘cause Delon will win 😂

5B201FD4-506F-4BBC-BC6A-FD1DDF473B96.thumb.png.7e8b9ed44f6a6bf85ba817b3e10287fe.png

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, here it is.

Blurb:

The image bought to mind the saying that kids at school used to say if they thought someone was looking at them - "do you want a picture?".

As I was falling asleep the musical idea came. I decided to do something different - and recorded real drums, including my home-made suitcase bass-drum.

Technical stuff

Daw: Studio One

Drums: Un-named car-boot snare, Gear-4-music floor tom, suitcase bass drum. Played with thunder rods.

Bass: Vantage

Guitars: Squier Tele, Vox Standard 25

Vox: Shure SM58

• Like 5

Just in time after a prankster laptop catastrophe. I may as well blame the damned thing for the fact that the tune and picture have very little in common and I've now got to blather some spiel about what inspired me!

Hmm. I struggled to get a handle on this one. I went with a pop rock tune for a busy bunch of black and white birds and a bemused bloke. 

The usual suspects used, Westfield short scale bass, Epiphone Special guitar, Yamaha keyboard, Looperman drums, some echo effects, all recorded in glorious lo-fi with Wavepad and Audacity.

Edited by upside downer
changed a few words as mind was frazzled at the time of writing
  • Like 2