Why become a member? ×

Amanda

Mands

Hi,can anyone offer me any help,my other half wants to learn bass guitar,he has no experience with guitars so he is a total beginner. I have seen two different guitars in one of my catalogues and was wondering if anyone could recommend which one would be best,I am thinking of getting him it for Christmas. I'm having trouble posting a link to it but here are the details...the website is called "very" search for bass guitars,the two that I'm trying to choose between are the 3rd avenue rocket series electric bass guitar pack and the other one is Rockland precision bass guitar package...if anyone could have a look and give me some help it would be really appreciated as I havent got a clue. Thanks

• Like 1

Hi,could anyone please help,im looking to get my other half a bass guitar for xmas and I have seen two in my catalogue,he is a total beginner with no experience and I haven't a clue which one would be best,the link for my catalogue is below and its between the rock jam bass package or the 3rd avenue rocket series package. Any help would be so much appreciated.

http://www.very.co.uk

34 minutes ago, Mands said:

Thanks for the advice but as I'm on a tight budget I really need to get it from my catalogue so I can pay in installments...so its between those two...thanks anyway 

Music shops offer finance deals. It would open up your choice. As said you cannot go wrong with a Squire. Good luck.

40 minutes ago, Mands said:

Thanks for the advice but as I'm on a tight budget I really need to get it from my catalogue so I can pay in installments...so its between those two...thanks anyway 

You will pay much more using Very on instalments than other places, their APR is 10% higher than most credit cards.

• Like 2

Seriously Amanda, try looking at Guitar Guitar. They offer deals to pay up and Im sure they would sort you out with a small practise amp and thrown in the rest

A bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. A decent bass guitar and amp

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210316367594025--squier-affinity-precision-bass-pj-pack-3-colour-sunburst

8 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I think the lady says she is on a tight budget 

And we were trying to explain that spending in the wrong place can actually cost more.

That said - @Mands, if you have to pick from the limited over priced offerings on Very - they're all effectively the same, pick which ever looks best.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ubit said:

Seriously Amanda, try looking at Guitar Guitar. They offer deals to pay up and Im sure they would sort you out with a small practise amp and thrown in the rest

A bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. A decent bass guitar and amp

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210316367594025--squier-affinity-precision-bass-pj-pack-3-colour-sunburst

Yes, and a Squier can always be sold on if the playing bug doesn’t stick.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I think the lady says she is on a tight budget 

False economy buying from a catalogue. As said above a Squire may be a bit more expensive but in the long run its a better deal and can be sold later if as mentioned, the playing bug doesn't bite.

5 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I would expect that she has looked at what other options there are. Rather like the thread about 'workshy' youngsters we don't know the circumstances and should maybe just answer the question asked without coming over as a bit preachy.

I hear you mate but we are trying to help her make the best choice. She came on a bass guitar forum and we are members of said forum expressing worry about buying catalogue deals which are the worst possible way to buy a musical instrument. Music shops can offer interest free deals for a higher quality instrument.

Edited by ubit

Thank you all for your advice,after calling 3 local very reputable guitar shops in Southampton and explaining to them I have been advise that the rockstar package is perfect for a starter that just wants to learn

it as a hobby for fun without a view of wanting to join a band or anything like that. Plus,if he's awful at it at least it'll annoy our horrible neighbour 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mands said:

it as a hobby for fun without a view of wanting to join a band or anything like that. Plus,if he's awful at it at least it'll annoy our horrible neighbour 🤣

Be careful Amanda, once he learns a couple of tunes he will be looking on the classifieds for a guitarist and drummer and your neighbour may have a lot more to contend with. Then there is the GAS monster (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) where he will want to improve his gear as he improves, as we all know better gear makes you play better.

Seriously, I hope you both enjoy his new hobby and just remember there are lots of helpful people on here if he needs it.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

Hey Mands.  I had the 1980's equivalent of what you are looking to purchase when I was 15 years old.  It was awful, badly set up and the amp was useless. But...... I loved it, because it was my first bass.  I learnt the basics on it, learnt how to change strings, tune it, set it up etc. I also posed in the mirror practicing stage moves that I never actually had the balls to do. I covered it in stickers and used it at an audition for my first band.  I got the gig, and after about 10 months of unfaithful service I upgraded it.  It still lives in my mothers attic (so she tells me).

Edited by kendall
  • Like 2

If he really does put in the practice time and gets good at it then at least he won't be so difficult to buy birthday/Christmas presents for. He already has the spare room claimed so he can use that as his practice room as the lounge is wall to wall full with my hobby of viking weapons and armour. I'm just hoping it's not going to be a fleeting hobby that he gets fed up with otherwise I may have to chase him with one of my many axes🤣🤣

• Haha 2