Why become a member? ×

Best Small Footprint Amp?

MattW

Hi All,

I've joined a new local band.  Fairly standard pub rock covers, but done well and blooming loud 😂

It's a 5 piece and I know the venue's we play are going to have very limited stage space, and the load in's/outs are going to be a pain.

I used my Big Twin II and ABM 600 on the weekend and whilst it sounded awesome it was just a little OTT and took up too much stage space.

I was thinking that I might look out for a rig that would be smaller and easier, whilst also being loud enough to keep up.  Possibly an upright 208 or 210 combo (Like TC BG250-208 or Mark Bass 802)  with a matching cab underneath, or two cabs and a head.  Really like to have at least 500w available to me if possible.  I'm not so worried about weight as I am size, and definitely want something with some hight rather than a combo alone on the floor with all the sound going under me!

Budgetwise I'd like to keep it under £4-500, so probably looking at second hand.  I've already elected not to take my best basses to these gigs as they are pretty rough and things are likely to get knocked about, so have a cheap Ibanez 4 string and Sire V3 5'er lined up for this project, so just need a cheapish amp to match.

However I may be asking too much of little amps like this, so if anyone has any recommendations or experience of similar set ups it would be great to hear!

Cheers,

Matt

I have recently joined a new loud rock covers band and have found that my RM80@ and pair of One10s is more than adequate in rehearsals. I can’t imagine gigs getting much louder tbh as I know the other musicians and the way they work ;)

• Like 1

My suggestion would have been the Markbass CMD121P & NY121 - smaller footprint, quite tall and 500 watts but unlikely to get that within budget.

There’s not much on the market with a smaller footprint than Barefaced that is very loud and good on the wallet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

My suggestion would have been the Markbass CMD121P & NY121 - smaller footprint, quite tall and 500 watts but unlikely to get that within budget.

There’s not much on the market with a smaller footprint than Barefaced that is very loud and good on the wallet.

Will have a look at these - may be able to stretch the budget a little 😬

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

A pair of BF 210 stood up tall would be pretty much as capable as your big twin cab. Trading in wouldn't cost too much if you keep the amp.

Run a ratchet strap around the stack to make it resistant to a shoulder charge if you are that concerned about shenanigans.

Actually this is one of the first things I thought too.  However I'd rather keep the Big Twin for other gigs and have a cheaper and more expendable amp for this band if possible!

3 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

What's the need for the Big Twin if two 210's can get the job done and solve the stage footprint issue?

It's as much that I don't want to take £1.5k+ worth of amp to these gigs tbh.  Also the ABM is a rack mount and only just fits on top of the Big Twin, so pretty sure it would be a bit precious on top of a vertical 210.

1 minute ago, MattW said:

It's as much that I don't want to take £1.5k+ worth of amp to these gigs tbh.  Also the ABM is a rack mount and only just fits on top of the Big Twin, so pretty sure it would be a bit precious on top of a vertical 210.

You'll have to explain the problem with £££'s worth of gear on this gig. Eg I have a problem with leaving my good stuff overnight at venues I know to be insecure. As far as worrying about my stuff under supervision goes, I don't allow any beverage storage on top and that takes care of it.

It's very hard to knock over two 210s that are ratchet strapped together.

22 hours ago, Merton said:

I have recently joined a new loud rock covers band and have found that my RM80@ and pair of One10s is more than adequate in rehearsals. I can’t imagine gigs getting much louder tbh as I know the other musicians and the way they work ;)

... and I'm using an RM800 with a BF210 in rehearsals and smaller gigs and it keeps up fine.

I find I'm now using the RM800 with my BF610 too in preference to my rack mounted ABM600...

• Like 1

Not sure how people can think that 2 bf210s would be considered small. I mean, yes, it has probably a few square inches of less floor, but as someone that plays in small pubs, I would never have the space for that. the 2 RH112s with an amp on come up to waist heigh and if necessary fits under the cymbals by the drum kit.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure how people can think that 2 bf210s would be considered small. I mean, yes, it has probably a few square inches of less floor, but as someone that plays in small pubs, I would never have the space for that. the 2 RH112s with an amp on come up to waist heigh and if necessary fits under the cymbals by the drum kit.

Yep think a couple of smallish 112's and a Class D head might be they way to go.   There are some Eden ones that look very compact that have caught my eye.

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

You'll have to explain the problem with £££'s worth of gear on this gig. Eg I have a problem with leaving my good stuff overnight at venues I know to be insecure. As far as worrying about my stuff under supervision goes, I don't allow any beverage storage on top and that takes care of it.

It's very hard to knock over two 210s that are ratchet strapped together.

I really love my Big Twin and ABM, I don't want to change it as it's perfect for my other projects.  I have a custom Zoot plus a Stingray that just sound the nuts trough it.  I've spent years and thousands of pounds (and not to mention lots of false starts/dead endings with other gear) putting it together and I absolutely love it.  

This is not the gig for that gear.  This is playing small/medium sized pubs with rowdy punters and a lively band in small alcoves!  I'm using sub £300 basses that I don't care if they get knocked over, hit into cymbals etc so aside from the practicalities of the Big Twin/ABM and not wanting them to get damaged/nicked there's very little point in using such a high end amp for this gig.

I just need a half decent sub £500ish set up that's small and up to the job, and again I don't mind if it gets knocked about.  I'll save my other set up for other gigs. 

Edited by MattW

51 minutes ago, Merton said:

What about an RM combo? Not the tiniest footprint but will be small, light, loud and sub-£500…:

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-rootmaster-rm-c210t-500-evoii.html

£332??  Is that right??  They are £849 from Ashdown!

The only thing that puts me off is that you'd realy need another cab underneath to get the full 500w out of it, but it's mighty tempting!   Good find - and I do love Ashdown...

I got one of those rm 210 combos from musik prod and paired it with a rm 210 cab. Great light weight stack. Powerful and a whole host of options - compression, drive, headphones etc. Looks a nice cool rig too.

BUT it's probably very similar footprint as your big twin.

I also have a big twin for another band and I think it's the best compromise between footprint, power and quality out there. It isnt much bigger than a super compact.

16 minutes ago, la bam said:

I got one of those rm 210 combos from musik prod and paired it with a rm 210 cab. Great light weight stack. Powerful and a whole host of options - compression, drive, headphones etc. Looks a nice cool rig too.

BUT it's probably very similar footprint as your big twin.

I also have a big twin for another band and I think it's the best compromise between footprint, power and quality out there. It isnt much bigger than a super compact.

Yep getting the 210 cab crossed my mind too.   It works on price, power, sound and features, but not on footprint.  Might look at an RM500 or 800 head with smaller cabs though.

Edited by MattW

2 hours ago, Merton said:

Amp:

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-rootmaster-rm-800-evo-ii.html

Cab:

https://m.thomann.de/gb/eden_tn210v5.htm?o=19&search=1630524635

Prices include VAT and all the customs malarkey. And you have the possibility to add another cab of the ~450/500W isn’t enough :)

That's pretty tempting!!  

• Like 1