Why become a member? ×

New Bass Head?

Phil Hardy

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I am playing in a standard guitar, bass, drums, vox band. Have been using an Orange Terra bass 500 head with an Eden Nemisis 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 rig at 4 ohms.

I am sick of the amp cutting out when pulling strings.

So, I am looking for a head with a bit more head.

I have been recommended https://thebassgallery.com/collections/heads/products/eich-t-1000-head

Has anyone had any knowledge of this amp or can recommend a 1000 watts amp that won't keep cutting out.

Cheers

phil.

Hi Phil

First off welcome to the forum.

Secondly I’d get the amp checked out by Orange before looking at new amps.

Having had a Terror and a Nemesis 410 myself both are extremely loud and capable of handling far more than your ears (or anyone else’s) can. Unless your eq is entirely low-end and driven those cabs should easily take all the Terror sends their way, shouldn’t cut out at all.

• Like 1

The amp cutting out could be the amp working correctly, not a fault. You mention that it cuts out when pulling on the bass strings; the amp could be detecting a dangerous condition for itself or your cabs and is going into protection mode. Simply using a more powerful amp might just give you the headroom to destroy your cabs. If you are using a fair amount of low end boost try reducing that a bit to see if it helps.

If the OP is driving his TB500 close to its limits he could be maxing his 115 cabinet which I believe may only be rated at 200 watts. The 410 is rated at 400 watts so could be okay but 250 watts into the 115 especially when pulling/hitting strings hard is going to cause distress that the amp may well be detecting. Another example of why 410 and 115 isn't the best combination. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

There’s something not quite right going. I would try the head with different cabs or get in touch with Orange.

I used to gig in a very loud band with a 350 watt head and really pushed it a few times and it never cut out.

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

If the OP is driving his TB500 close to its limits he could be maxing his 115 cabinet which I believe may only be rated at 200 watts. The 410 is rated at 400 watts so could be okay but 250 watts into the 115 especially when pulling/hitting strings hard is going to cause distress that the amp may well be detecting. Another example of why 410 and 115 isn't the best combination. 

Good call Mark, may be worth trying it with the 410 on its own

9 hours ago, Phil Hardy said:

...I am sick of the amp cutting out when pulling strings...

Any chance of a recording of this..? It might well offer clues as to what's really happening. I suspect the amp of cutting out as overload protection, trying to supply more than it's capable of. A recording would help confirm that. It doesn't sound, from your description, as being simply an intermittence (but it could be, just the same...).
If it really is the protection circuit cutting in, you're (all...) playing ferociously loud; a sample would help clear that up, too.
It could be a cab problem, though. Are you absolutely sure of the impedances of the cabs..? If one is really 4 Ohms, that could explain things.
No 'phone recording available then..? B|

I would be really interested what volume levels some of you folks gig at when 1000w heads are being spoken about.

I play in a pretty loud rock band, bass, drums, guitar and vocalist and have never on any occasion had my 2 x 15 MarkBass rig anywhere near flat out, we have our own PA and my bass rig is never put through it, just used as backline.

We had our first gig last weekend since the start of Covid, I have just took a photo of my amp settings as they were at the gig, the master is hardly on and my sound was plenty loud enough on the gig.

0C0E29E7-6D77-48A9-985C-6D9C1003CC1B.jpeg

FA596DB8-6AA2-4D5F-B783-44C49E34282A.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, steantval said:

I would be really interested what volume levels some of you folks gig at when 1000w heads are being spoken about.

I play in a pretty loud rock band, bass, drums, guitar and vocalist and have never on any occasion had my 2 x 15 MarkBass rig anywhere near flat out, we have our own PA and my bass rig is never put through it, just used as backline.

We had our first gig last weekend since the start of Covid, I have just took a photo of my amp settings as they were at the gig, the master is hardly on and my sound was plenty loud enough on the gig.

0C0E29E7-6D77-48A9-985C-6D9C1003CC1B.jpeg

FA596DB8-6AA2-4D5F-B783-44C49E34282A.jpeg

Interesting to see you have the VPF at maximum ( bass boost and mid cut) at the same time as boosting high mids and cutting the lows.

• Like 2

Are both these cabs 8 ohms?

Your Orange amp goes down to 4 ohms. That means both cabs have to be 8 ohms.

The 115 is 8 ohms, but the only Eden Nemesis 410 I can find is 4 ohms. If that is correct then your cabs combine  to be 2.67ohms and that is a mismatch to the amp. Which might be why it's overheating and cutting out.

You can either run the 410 on its own or run the 115 with another 8 ohm cab, or you can buy an amp which goes to 2.67 ohms.

ps

You won't get 1000 watts out of the Eich. That's rated at 1000 watts bridged into 4 ohms, which might be too much for your 410. It has 2 x 500 watt channels so you might be able to plug each cab into its own channel. But this is just shy of £1200. That's not a financially sensible solution to your problem. There are plenty of amps that go to 2.67 ohms for a lot less than £1200.

I'd just get another 8 ohm cab.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Last gig, pub gig, 500W into 2x1x10" - master at just over half.  With the amp sitting right next to the drums and no other monitoring, I could hear myself no bother.  DI from the amp into the desk for a bit of reinforcement through the PA.

I'm also of the suspicion that you've got a cab mismatch, which takes the impedance below what the amp is designed for.

There's no way you need 1000W unless you are playing large venues and your drummer is going through the PA or if you are doing outdoor festivals.  As suggested above I'd try the amp with one or other of the cabs and if it's still cutting out have it looked at.

Have you got your cabs connected in series? That would put the total impedance too low and cause the head to over heat and cut out. If that's the problem, the same will happen with almost any head.

My Terror 500 with a 4x10 and 1x15 is deafeningly loud and until a recent power supply short circuit,  it would play at extreme volumes for as long as I could keep playing. 

Edited by SteveXFR