He doesn't understand how humbuckers work. Connecting two single-coil pickups which are the same winding direction and magnet orientation together just gives you two single-coil pickups that are wired together, not a humbucker (which needs the two coils close together to actually buck hum anyway). I'm not greatly enamoured of P and J basses, but even I feel that they deserve a fate better than this.

• Like 1

Last week I made my new squier mustang guitar more comfortable to play by gently rolling the fingerboard edges with a superfine sanding sponge which has also softened shape at the ends of the frets.

Maybe I should have just used a machete to hack away at the edge like this instead

screenshot-695.thumb.jpg.2ed39e44e5884a5e63372119781292e9.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Last week I made my new squier mustang guitar more comfortable to play by gently rolling the fingerboard edges with a superfine sanding sponge which has also softened shape at the ends of the frets.

Maybe I should have just used a machete to hack away at the edge like this instead

That pic is a dreadful warning of what could happen if someone attempts to round over the edges of the fingerboard without knowing exactly what they are doing.

Reading a few of his sales pitches. 

Quote: "I carved the Telebass head shape and did the cligraphy before applying coats of spray varnish" unquote.

In other words I've made a right f**king mess of this perfectly fine headstock, then scribbled on it like an infant, and you'll have to work like f**kery to get it off cos I've sealed it in.

Quote: I have got a 2006 Fender USA Precision bass here at present, but this Telebass is a slightly nicer instrument unquote.

No! no it's f**king not!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

He originally thought this is what a scalloped fingerboard was and described it as such in earlier listings, eventually realised his error but still persisted with it and claimed it as a feature.

He at one point claimed it was for "thumb style" guitar playing (his customers evidently have huge hands but tiny thumbs) but no apparently it makes normal fretting easier too.

16 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

He originally thought this is what a scalloped fingerboard was and described it as such in earlier listings, eventually realised his error but still persisted with it and claimed it as a feature.

He at one point claimed it was for "thumb style" guitar playing (his customers evidently have huge hands but tiny thumbs) but no apparently it makes normal fretting easier too.

Also useful for feeling where you are on the fretboard, in case the big metal things across the front don't give enough of a clue.

That's a thought - has he done a defret yet?

I dread to think what's hiding under the pickguard where he "moved the neck further into the body". It also means, if you look, that the neck is bolted through the neck profile, not the flat heel (!?)

And the pickup spacing is now completely wrong, so years of experimentation to get the correct tone by Leo is out of the window. I guess this is rendered irrlevent by his "humbucker" wiring advantures.

And surely string spacing should be to the centre of the string not the edge? FML.

This must be one of the worst yet......

Edited by Max Normal

I feel these poor instruments are like Sid's projects in Toy Story; arrivng at MDPs workshop only to suffer an inevitable run-in with a bandsaw and sander, before an untimely appointment on the workbench/operating table for transplantation or extractions.

If there's little joy to be taken here, it's that he only seems to have sold a handful of things in the last few months.

I don't know if it's possible to feel sorrow for an instrument...

• Like 2

I just looked at the Shine (7-string to 6-string conversion) he has up for £400.  Searching on sold listings, two have sold on eBay for less than £125.00, hedging my bets, I'd say his source instrument was one of those.

We're obviously in the wrong careers.  

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

He writes as if he's an experienced luthier but the sad thing is that unknowing punters are taken in by this and are led to believe that he knows his stuff as they don't have the experience to see through his waffle and BS and can't recognise a bodge job.

Dude - anybody who can't see that headstock has something severely wrong with it deserves to have it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well shame on you Basschat! 

Lot's on here are too scared to attempt the sort of work this fella is undertaking. I'll give a hearty round of applause to anyone who has the courage to have a go at this level of luthiery. 

He just should've stopped about ten minutes after he started f**king years ago. 

• Haha 2