Why become a member? ×

One man’s obsession

JPJ

So quite a few years ago I became what began as an enthusiast but quickly became an obsession with the SWR sound. Over the years various SWR amps, cabs, and combos have passed through my hands but I think I’m currently at the most heads I’ve ever owned. 
As it was a typically miserable British bank holiday weather wise, I decided to spend the afternoon ‘testing’ and sorting my current stable.

I think I’m sorted for now, unless someone tempts me with either a Baby Blue or the even rarer Spellbinder 😎

4F17362D-95FC-4C9A-888B-311B7C5A54BA.jpeg

3D78914C-963D-43E3-8518-66CF4A3ECB70.jpeg

• Like 6

I have three items of SWR gear I’d love to get hold of. 
A Baby Blue head and monitor speaker with the 2x8/1x4 set up

and an Interstellar Overdrive. 

I used a Goliath and Big Ben set up years ago and the sound was sublime. 

I use bag end cabs after being introduced to them by SWR. 

• Like 3

My SWR experience has been very good.  They run hot (by design) have noisy fans ( can be improved with modern replacements) and the cabs are heavy ( stuck with that, but the heads are great with modern light cabs). 

I’ve had very few tech problems, and most of the repair/ maintenance has been fine.  They were put together by hand using very standard components of the time.  Not all techs like to work on them, but I’ve found it really helps if you can provide the schematic.  Saves a lot of time and stress - most are on the web in various forms, generally the SWR versions.  The amps I would be most cautious with are the later designs that used early “digital “ power sections (Amplite, Spellbinder) as these weren’t made for very long, and used power sections that have probably been long gone.  They could possibly be upgraded with modern versions, but that’s expensive.  

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 00:00, BassBod said:

My SWR experience has been very good.  They run hot (by design) have noisy fans ( can be improved with modern replacements) and the cabs are heavy ( stuck with that, but the heads are great with modern light cabs). 

I’ve had very few tech problems, and most of the repair/ maintenance has been fine.  They were put together by hand using very standard components of the time.  Not all techs like to work on them, but I’ve found it really helps if you can provide the schematic.  Saves a lot of time and stress - most are on the web in various forms, generally the SWR versions.  The amps I would be most cautious with are the later designs that used early “digital “ power sections (Amplite, Spellbinder) as these weren’t made for very long, and used power sections that have probably been long gone.  They could possibly be upgraded with modern versions, but that’s expensive.  

What’s ironic about your post is that the class D (has nothing to do with digital) power amp modules are far more available than the earlier class AB parts. They are still a current part stocked by Fender (the last owner of SWR), and it’s a part that I also stock as we used the same part in some Genz Benz amps.

• Like 1