Why become a member? ×

Why is my typing getting re formatted to something i don’t want?

dave_bass5

Question

Its just taken me almost 20mins to make a post, as every time I tried to type a speaker confirguitstion like 2x10, the ‘x’ jumps off the base line. I don’t want this and it shouldn’t be happening. 

Im on an ipad using the latest IOS, and it’s happening on 3 different browsers. I have all the auto correction stuff to unread off on my ipad, which i should stay need to do just for one website. 

This never happened in the past and not happening on any other website that ive visited (I've actually just tried a few to prove this). 

57 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Some people seem to have a lot of time to spend at really useless details or huge OCD problems. Just to say. 😉

Some people have a lot of time to spend coming into a thread of someone else having a problem they don't care about just to say they don't care about the problem :D

10x2

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep. We discovered changing the font works. Shouldn’t need to though. 

The developer of this website set the default font for all the text. Including that used in this forum, but does offer several options for use. 
It’s up to the writer if they want to use one of the options, or even more than one. 

51 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yep. We discovered changing the font works. Shouldn’t need to though. 

All websites will have a default font plus alternatives to take account of different browsers and operating systems. 
The font stack for the website basschat.co.uk is “Inter", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif. 
Inter is the default for the forum posts, with user selectable options in the edit bar. 
Inter puts the x in 1x10 above the base line. It’s a small compromise to make for the sake of simplicity. 

14 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

All websites will have a default font plus alternatives to take account of different browsers and operating systems. 
The font stack for the website basschat.co.uk is “Inter", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif. 
Inter is the default for the forum posts, with user selectable options in the edit bar. 
Inter puts the x in 1x10 above the base line. It’s a small compromise to make for the sake of simplicity. 

Why do we need a compromise ? Its never been like this before, and isnt like this on all the websites ive visited.  If other fonts dont do it, why not use that as the default? Ive not come across a website that insists on changing what i type.

12 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Why do we need a compromise ? Its never been like this before, and isnt like this on all the websites ive visited.  If other fonts dont do it, why not use that as the default? Ive not come across a website that insists on changing what i type.

It’s not insisting on anything. It’s a feature of the default font in the theme used for the website. It is quite a common feature of many fonts. 
The x glyph as used in 2x10 is not a letter, it’s a symbol. The font and the forum platform understand the intended usage as a symbol or shorthand for “by” and correct what is typed.   It should be typed as 2X10 to be really correct. 
And yes the web developer could have changed the default font in the theme, but why bother, they are all sans serif and all look more or less the same. 

Edited by Cliff Edge

26 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

It’s not insisting on anything. It’s a feature of the default font in the theme used for the website. It is quite a common feature of many fonts. 
The x glyph as used in 2x10 is not a letter, it’s a symbol. 

I'm going to correct myself here having looked more closely at the Inter font this morning out of curiosity. It uses contextual alternatives to make certain characters adjust themselves according to the surrounding context. So the x in the examples here is moved off the base to be centred with the surrounding text. As it would be if typed as an upper case X.

This feature can be disabled by the web developer should he choose to do so. It can also be overridden in some web browsers.

@dave_bass5 It seems strange that you are so keen to change something that has finally been made typographically correct back to the old way when it was wrong.

Consider this: I'm mildly dyslexic (you can probably spot from my posts) and proper typography helps me, as I've learnt to recognise patterns of letters, symbols and punctuation from professionally produced books that recognise all the rules of typography. As soon as those rules start to be broken, it makes reading for me much more difficult. There are several people on my Basschat ignore list, not because I don't agree with what they say, but simply because they type it in such a way that makes my brain hurt trying to read and make sense of it.

Admittedly I can live either way with the instance that appears to be causing you such a problem (for me it's a very mild aberration), but others, like the insertion of a space before a punctuation symbol (something I think comes from posting from a phone), make reading what has been posted for me much, much harder. I always look at these posts and think "have these people never seen a properly printed book or newspaper before? Surely it is obvious that they are wrong?"...

• Like 2