Why become a member? ×

Why is my typing getting re formatted to something i don’t want?

dave_bass5

Question

Its just taken me almost 20mins to make a post, as every time I tried to type a speaker confirguitstion like 2x10, the ‘x’ jumps off the base line. I don’t want this and it shouldn’t be happening. 

Im on an ipad using the latest IOS, and it’s happening on 3 different browsers. I have all the auto correction stuff to unread off on my ipad, which i should stay need to do just for one website. 

This never happened in the past and not happening on any other website that ive visited (I've actually just tried a few to prove this). 

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Typographically having the x above the baseline is correct when it is in the context of being 2 x 10.

Then typographically webservers have been wrong for as long as bass forums have existed! Us dinosaurs of bass wish to maintain our familiar incorrectness! 210 isn't 20 anyway, it's a bass cabinet with 2#10" speakers in it.

Wanna know what's really weird about this? The quote preview box of your post shows it 'correctly' !!

Typographically the internet has been terrible for decades, so any attempt to improve it should be applauded, and not met with resistance. The glyph "x" should only sit on the base line when it actually a lower-case letter "X". In all other instances where it either a multiplication symbol of shorthand for "by" it should be centred on the the cap height.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Meh, i want it on the base line, even if its typographically wrong 😎

Can I ask why?

For me it's one of those things I put up with on the internet because until recently the workarounds to get it typographically correct are more trouble then they are worth. Now that it is available it looks a lot better with the glyph in the correct place in relation to the baseline.

However I'm sure that because it is automatically generated, it will be possible to “fool” the algorithm in some way to raise up the glyph when it should be on the baseline, much in the same way that it is possible to fool automatic smart quotes with the phrase Rock ’n’ Roll where first apostrophe will be rendered the wrong way around because the algorithm doesn’t know that the the first apostrophe is for a missing “a” and not single quotes around the letter “n”.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Can I ask why?

Well its more what im used to. Its short hand for a cab’s speaker configuration, not a maths equation, so id prefer it didnt look like one. No one that ive seen types it as you have suggested, so it is the norm, even if its not ‘correct’. 

As we know, making just one letter italic means we can type whatever word we want without it being changed, so yes, there are ways around it, but i was just surprised it was happening in the first place.

Even the email notifications have it written as i wanted it.

• Like 1