Why become a member? ×

Anyone gigging a Rumble V3 2x10 cab?

dave_bass5

Being ‘forced’ back on bass for the time being. Still out of work but I need a cab. Budget is low, just over £300.

I’ll be using my Rumble 800HD head, and quite fancy a 2x10 The only 2x10 Ive ever owned or played through was a BF Retro two ten, and hated it. To me it was too deep and, well Retro. Not a bad cab, i just hated it. 

So, im thinking of the Rumble v3 2x10. Lightweight, takes a lot of power, and perfectly matched to my head. It even has cut outs on the top to accommodate the head. 

Some of you may know i loved my CN212, but another is way out of budget, and id still like to try a 2x10 anyway. 

Just doing standard covers and will need the rig to do FOH as well. 

Not looking for recommendations as such, as i can pretty much guess what they will be, but happy to hear from other users who are in the same situation as me (i.e, no PA support and just using the one cab).

Well, if it was me i would be looking at these as I don't think a single 2x10 will cut it in a live situation. Haven't tried the Fender so can't comment on that but i'm working on the premise that the 2 suggestions below would have been considered more premium when they were new so should perform a bit better.

Thanks. To be honest the second is too large, and the first is too expensive as im assuming postage is either going to take it over £400, or its too far away.

And neither are 2x10’s, which is what i want to get this time. 

Im pretty sure a 2 driver cab rated at 700watts will do the job. Ive gigged a 1x15 rated at 300watts and that was fine. I know specs dont tell the whole story, but cant see why it wouldn’t work. Its Fender after all. I know they aren't, or have never been flavour of the month on BC, but having been more than impressed with the head im going to give it a shot. 

I have to disagree with @Mudpup that a 210 won't be able to cut it live - if its got sufficient power handling capability (and efficiency, articulation etc), a decent 210 should be absolutely fine with a full band, and that was certainly my experience with my former VK210 LNT. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I have to disagree with @Mudpup that a 210 won't be able to cut it live - if its got sufficient power handling capability (and efficiency, articulation etc), a decent 210 should be absolutely fine with a full band, and that was certainly my experience with my former VK210 LNT. 

Cheers Bas. I know the VK210 costs a lot more and is probably nicer sounding, but the Fender is well rated and ive used combo’s that are rated a lot less than the  rig im proposing. I know a 2x12 would be better, but the 2x10 is something i want to try and, i just dont see much written avbout this cab, although there is a lot of prise for it in the TB Rumble thread. Probably a bit more boxy sounding than more costlier cabs, but im thinking a bit more vintage now anyway. 

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers Bas. I know the VK210 costs a lot more and is probably nicer sounding, but the Fender is well rated and ive used combo’s that are rated a lot less than the  rig im proposing. I know a 2x12 would be better, but the 2x10 is something i want to try and, i just dont see much written avbout this cab, although there is a lot of prise for it in the TB Rumble thread. Probably a bit more boxy sounding than more costlier cabs, but im thinking a bit more vintage now anyway. 

I understand that the Fender Rumble cabs & combos ( not the amp part) are outsourced to Eminence who design & manufacture at their plant in China. Eminence work to Fenders cosmetic and headline specifications and do the rest, design the cab, select the speakers, make the speakers and source other components. Eminence ODM & OEM for other major brands in the same Eminence factory. I have had a Rumble 500 head and a Fender 1x12 V2 cab ( made by Fender in Mexico with Eminence Neo speaker) for some years and both have served me well in different bands I also now have a Rumble 800HD and I am pleased with the flexibility the amps offer. I know there isn't a lot of commentary on here for Fender Rumble amps and cabs but Fender is not going to harm their brand by putting their name on something that performs poorly. I am sure you won't be disappointed with a Fender Rumble 2x10 cab, after all the Rumble 500 Combo does seem to enjoy some love on here. 

• Like 1

Thanks John. Yes, the magnetic holder is a good idea, especially with lightweight gear like we are talking about. 

It ticks all the right boxes for me, but having been used to higher end cabs i just have a small doubt. Not a huge one that would stop me getting it, and like you say, all the Combo reviews seem to be very good, but cant help feel there will be something missing. 

Its more the 2x10 aspect that im nervous about. I get there is more cone area compared to a 1x15, which ive happily gigged, and it’s going to be less muddy than a 2x12, but i cant stop thinking about 10’s being more useful for slap players, even though i know this is not the case. 

Ive struggled for years to get rid of the top end click i get with a pick, and while i will have EQ, im worried it might be too bright still. Saying that, the best cab ive ever played was an old TE 4x10 at a gig once. 

• Like 1

Cheers. I’ve also gigged 300watt 1x15 Ashdown combo and that was borderline loud enough for most venues, so power wise I’m not too worried. 

I’m looking forward to getting back on bass, and this time I’m doing it as basic as possible……although I still have an empty Metro16 pedalboard with Cioks DC5 underneath it 😎

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers. I’ve also gigged 300watt 1x15 Ashdown combo and that was borderline loud enough for most venues, so power wise I’m not too worried. 

I’m looking forward to getting back on bass, and this time I’m doing it as basic as possible……although I still have an empty Metro16 pedalboard with Cioks DC5 underneath it 😎

For pedals, just get yourself a Zoom B1-4 and be done with it. Fits very nicely within the new "basic as possible" regime! 😁

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

For pedals, just get yourself a Zoom B1-4 and be done with it. Fits very nicely within the new "basic as possible" regime! 😁

Still got mine but no, waaaay to distracting. 
One thing I found with the Helix is there is too much temptation to make life complicated. The last few rehearsals I had on bass were with just a comp, and to felt liberating. I also used to find no matter how much I used the Helix at rehearsals, I more or less left it off at gigs. Just kept the core tone like comp and BDDI on, and didn’t bother with the extra bits. 
My head has a drive that I like, and is foot switchable, it sounds warm and clear. That should do me for now. 
I do fancy the new Bass Fly rig though, but that’s for when I’m working again. 

I've got a 210 Rumble cab (paired with Peavey MiniMax 500 head), unfortunately I've yet to get to use it outside the house.

I do however, have a mate who uses the Rumble 500 combo regularly in his covers band, but then I think he puts his bass signal through the PA a lot.

It'll down to how loud the rest of the band are. I was in a stupid loud band once and I sold the Rumble I had because I just could get loud enough to cut through, I ended up with an Aguilar TH350 and Schroeder 1212 which was plenty loud enough.

Cheers. Please let me know if you do gig it. Im not planning on getting a cab for about 6 weeks, although GAS is GAS lol.

Ah yes, the sonic sledge hammer that is the 1212L. That cab is amazing, and although not as refined as more conventional cabs, i never, ever worried about not being heard with mine,  no matter what head i used. 

My band isnt loud really. They can let rip but its more noise than volume. Guitarist uses a 1x12 Fender combo (not valve), and we dont mic the drummer up other than the lock drum, so volume wise im going to be fine, as long as the room isn’t too large, and the stage doesn’t suck it all up (i do have a Gramma pad). 

• Like 1

I think normally the 210 can would suffice … but depends on your style of playing and loudness of fellow band members 

Last week my RM800 using two 210 cabs was buried at an audition with very loud hitting drummer and Marshall 4x12 guitarist 

I felt then my rig was under powered but of course it’s not !

Buying again however I would get the biggest and highest wattage second hand cab you can find, may even be a heavy beast but it will have a full sound .. TE, Peavey, Laney etc do fair priced heavyweights 

Edited by BassAdder27

Cheers. I've never not had enough volume from any rig I've owned, and i've never used two cabs (no car so its difficult). So with the Rumble rated at 700watts and my head at 800 i dont think i have anything to worry about. i know watts are not always a good indication, but im going by what other cabs ive owned have been rated at.

I live on the 4th floor in a block of flats with no lift, so weight is definitely a concern. Anything up to 50lbs is fine though, as long as the handles are those sunken metal ones.

On 30/08/2021 at 11:13, dave_bass5 said:

Being ‘forced’ back on bass ...  ...  I’ll be using my Rumble 800HD head, and quite fancy a 2x10 ...  ... im thinking of the Rumble v3 2x10. Lightweight, takes a lot of power, and perfectly matched to my head. It even has [magnetic] cut outs on the top to accommodate the head.   ...  ... 

On 30/08/2021 at 15:07, dave_bass5 said:

Thanks. ...  ...  Im pretty sure a 2 driver cab rated at 700watts will do the job. ...  .. Its Fender after all. ...  ... having been more than impressed with the head im going to give it a shot. 

Be aware that the Rumble 800 HD can output up to 400 watts continuous at 8 ohms.  And the 8 ohm Rumble V3 210 cab is rated (on paper) at 700 watts program, and "just" 350 watts continuous.  

Howsomeever, that rating on paper was when it was newly introduced in 2015 to handle a maximum expected 350 watts continuous, 700 watts program, from the then 1-year-old Rumble 500 head.  Since that's all the power handling that was necessary at the time, Fender conservatively left it at that.  That is still the published spec.!

Flash forward to 2018 and Fender introduces the Rumble Stage 800 combo with their first-ever output of up to 400 watts continuous at 8 ohms, 800 watts cont. at 4 ohms!  And what speakers do they put in this powerful combo??  And what extension cab do they propose to take the additional 400 watts cont.??  Why, none other than the exact same wildly popular 2x10" Eminences they've been putting in the Rumble 500 combo & Rumble 210 cab for the previous 3 years.  They even make the exact same 210 cab in stealth black cosmetics to match the Stage combo!!  Obviously, with that successful field experience, and additional lab testing no doubt, they must be quite confident it can take it!  

And I, too, believe you will very happy running a Rumble V3 210 under your Rumble 800 HD.  🤗  

• Like 3

Thanks, and very clearly explained.

Ive never run any amp over half on the master. I know thats not an indication of loudness, but the point being ill never push the head to anywhere near max unless the cab is really badly designed, and im sure its not. 

Im hoping to get the black version, but its harder to come by for a good price. At the moment DV247 seem the best, but i don’t want to use them as im getting nowhere with CS at the moment. Thomann’s might be best.

Ive got a few weeks before i need to get it so ill sort that out when the time comes. Not against the silver face, but id like it to match my guitarists Fender combo. 

• Like 1

Long time lurker here, but for what it's worth I've been running a Rumble Stage 800 combo for around 3 years now and I've yet to find any situation where it has been unable to keep up with the bands I've been playing in.  Admittedly they're not all out rock cover bands, but even on outdoor gigs that don't have PA support (think small-medium pub gardens), it's never needed to go higher than half to two-thirds on the Master.  I actually bought the black extension cab to get a really nice vertical 410 and to give me the full 800W at the bigger gigs and I just found myself never using it as I never truly needed it other than for looks / shirt flapping. Also worth noting that I run a pretty wireless setup now, inc IEMs to mainly help with monitoring my vocals however, it's meaning I can run the amp to the right level for the gig - which in some cases is often quieter than I first think once I stand out front playing for soundcheck.

I'm on that verge now of staving off the GAS for good and just going the FRFR route to cut down on equipment (I also play/swap to guitar for some gigs and songs)

I don't think you'll have any problem 'keeping up' with a 210 - yes you're not going to have bags of headroom and ridiculously thunderous output which you run at 1/8th all the time, but you'll have more than enough for the majority of gigs and you won't be maxing out the Master.  Equally, the setup is back forgiving!  Even my combo is only just a smidge over 20kg and easy to cart around.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, very reassuring. In the past ive found i do run my rig louder than is needed out front. I guess standing next to a drummer who likes to make some noise means i have to turn up a bit more, but out front it can get over powering. 

Ive always liked 12’s, but with some cabs ive had ive noticed a bit too much low end/low mid heft and loss of low end definition (not that there is much in the first place). Its just a thickening of some nots and its bugged me. This is why i want to try 10’s, as i believe they don’t (in general) exhibit this. Coupled with the fact that they are tighter im guessing i may need even less volume to sit where i need to be in the mix, and if i am too loud the lack of ‘mud’ might be an advantage. 

The CN212 i had was the perfect all round cab, but it still lacked some of the kick and clarity my old 1212L had. I really should have kept the 1212L and not started on the cab quest a few years ago. 

Obviously i know about EQ, which can fix all the above, but sometimes on a  hollow stage its a struggle to get rid of the low end, without sounding thin. 

Although ive said i don’t want to use effects, i do have a nice 30 band EQ i can use now.