Why become a member? ×

Stingray for punk?

SteveXFR

6 hours ago, Maude said:

Pete Steele from Type O Negative used to strap on a doublebass like a regular bass guitar. 

Anything is doable, but turning up to a metal audition with a doublebass wouldn't be advisable. 🙂

There was Death Metal band called "Cadaver" who's bass player used a double bass. They toured with a load of Industrial bands in the early 90's IIRC. Saw them, and it was an amazing sight!

• Like 1

I think I remember reading in a Bass Player magazine interview at the time that Matt Freeman used a StingRay for some of the recording of Rancid's 1998 album Life Won't Wait (I don't know which tracks though)... Matt Freeman rocking on a StingRay - it's enough to make a man pregnant!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

I think I remember reading in a Bass Player magazine interview at the time that Matt Freeman used a StingRay for some of the recording of Rancid's 1998 album Life Won't Wait (I don't know which tracks though)... Matt Freeman rocking on a StingRay - it's enough to make a man pregnant!

That's it then. If it's good enough for the man who in my opinion is the greatest ever punk bassist and also just one of the greatest bassists full stop then it's good enough for me.

• Like 2

A ‘Ray, P or Rick with rounds and played with a pick will do the job in most punk styles.  

As someone else said, the ‘Ray was used by guys like Steve Severin from the Banshees, also Simon Gallup from the Cure who arrived at the tail end of punk, and played with effects-heavy guitarists like John McGeogh and Robert Smith in the band.  A ‘Ray works well with middly, effects-laden guitar as it does the bottom-top end scoop thing and leaves the mid clear for the guitar.  This is why latterly, the ‘Ray was popular in the Shoegaze genre with bands like the House of Love, Ride and Slowdive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm not entirely convinced he uses the B string much.

A true but embarrassing tale. I broke many a B string years ago when I had my fiver. I used to leap around far too much and used the B string as a form hanging on to my bass. I'd hook my pinky and ring finger under the B and play it like a regular four with index and middle finger whilst bouncing around like a tw@t. 

• Haha 2

The bass players from propagandhi and A Wilhelm Scream both play stingrays. Less Thank Jake’s bass player also plays one even though they are more Ska. Actually I see them a lot in Ska bands. I’ve always been able to get a great punk sound from mine. It’s more pop punk but the bass player of Millencolin plays one also. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maude said:

A true but embarrassing tale. I broke many a B string years ago when I had my fiver. I used to leap around far too much and used the B string as a form hanging on to my bass. I'd hook my pinky and ring finger under the B and play it like a regular four with index and middle finger whilst bouncing around like a tw@t. 

So you did actually use the B string? Not for its intended purpose but that wouldn't be punk anyway. 

• Like 2