Why become a member? ×

Stingray for punk?

SteveXFR

I was wondering if the Kiloton would be similarly useful, but having gone away and listened again, it's a bit too rounded and wholesome a tone – hasn't got that needling quality that the Stingray can do.

Still, can imagine it sounding good growling away underneath a single guitar that's more jangly-fuzzy than thickly-aggressive

5 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Metal-ish with an upright:

Heavy on the -ish. Nice jazz break in the middle! Industrial dub grind jazzcore?

I didn't say nobody metals on an EUB. Whatever spins your wheels is fine by me. I play all sorts on my own EUB without compunction but I would not choose one for metal if I was leaning that way.

Hard work getting around it with the required attack.

Hard to get accepted into a band.

If I had shown up with a BC Rich pointy thing they would have given my job to someone else.

Pretty simple concept. Within reason you can play any bass on any gig and get away with it. But would you really want to?

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Try playing metal lines on a EUB and get back to me.

Then I'll ask you to audition for half a dozen metal bands and see how far you get.

No-one mentioned EUBs until you did, that's a bit of a stretch.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I have seen an Industrial metal band with an electric upright. Bow plus heavy distortion plus some very low tuning sounded like the apocalypse. 

Pete Steele from Type O Negative used to strap on a doublebass like a regular bass guitar. 

Anything is doable, but turning up to a metal audition with a doublebass wouldn't be advisable. 🙂

A Warlock, no, but I reckon a nice dark stained, burl maple topped Mockingbird would be acceptable. 

To be honest though I always felt that Entwistle's Explorer jarred with The Who's image, so what do I know? 😄

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

This below is simply not true! The Stingray first rolled off the production lines in 1976. Non punk, John Deacon had one when I saw Queen in Edinburgh that very same year. also ike I said earlier I saw the Buzzcocks in 1978 and Steve Garvey had a Stingray

Extrapolating from production numbers about 300 stingrays were produced before 1977.

http://www.musicmanbass.global/serials-pre-eb-sting-ray/

Very cool that you got to see some big shots with fancy instruments early on, but they were hardly standard issue.

I always thought many punkbands were from poor, working or at best middle class environments though I could well be mistaken there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bolo said:

I always thought many punkbands were from poor, working or at best middle class environments though I could well be mistaken there. 

Precisions and Ric's weren't exactly cheap in the mid to late 70's £400+ quid was a big wedge back then.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

We're punk band back then playing real Fenders?

I read that Mick Jones of The Clash spent his student grant on a guitar, I imagine he wasn’t the only one. Or people such as The Sex Pistols who misappropriated theirs from their rightful owners.

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I read that Mick Jones of The Clash spent his student grant on a guitar, I imagine he wasn’t the only one. 

Certainly guilty of that myself, I did a stint of the "art college" thing, until i got slung out for never turning up, due to spending all my time doing band stuff 

..luckily they never asked for their dosh back.. ;)

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

My first Ric 4001 cost £295 new in 1980. 

Seems cheap by today's prices, but as you know £200 went a lot further then, than it does now! Back then I was living in the North East, there was young lads in local bands who had Fender's and Gibson's, but they were the lads who's parents were well off, they were a minority. I got left some money by an aunt and I bought my first decent bass in 1983, a brand new £240 Sunburst Squier JV Precision, from Guitarzan in Middlesbrough, I got ribbed for owning one of Fender's "Poor cousins".... "Oh how that assumption got turned on it's head!" I sold it under duress in 1990 for £250.