Why become a member? ×

Donny Hathaway.

bubinga5

I first heard him many many years ago when I was 18, me and my sister listened to this live album and we just thought it was the best music we had ever heard. . . Still to this day he blows me away. His voice, his keys playing on this live album, his vocal power and control. No other soul singer even comes close to his vocal range. Willie Week,s bass playing on this live album is just..!!

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

Amazing vocalist who had a sad death. Left us way to soon.  A beautiful, sensitive and a true expressionist singer. When I first heard a song for you it hit me hard. The song was originally written and recorded by Leon Russel. I heard Donny sing it on the radio and I believe it was one of the first interpretation since Leon first sang and played it on his first record. Since Donny sang it there were many interpretations that were influence by donny's version. But Donny sounds so good and special.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just to resurrect this thread - I note there appears to be hardly any live footage of Donny but I just found this:

I am loving Willie Weeks' (assuming it is him) - green Precision.

Fred White's (again assuming it is him) drumming is just so solid.

I think this is the closest to the Live album lineup I've ever seen.

• Like 2

It's nice to see Donny Hathaway getting some recognition in recent years for his extraordinary talents. For so many years after his death he was to some extent overlooked amongst the pantheon of great soul singers from the 1970s.

The live album is just superb. Willie Weeks is on fire and the whole band are as tight as tight can be. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 11:12, Huge Hands said:

Just to resurrect this thread - I note there appears to be hardly any live footage of Donny but I just found this:

I am loving Willie Weeks' (assuming it is him) - green Precision.

Fred White's (again assuming it is him) drumming is just so solid.

I think this is the closest to the Live album lineup I've ever seen.

WOW. thanks for sharing