Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray/Giffin/Modulus hybrid
£850
Norfolk

E sharp

Musicman Stingray Modulus hybrid . 

Culling my 4 strings , and now selling the bass that I said , I'd never sell . 

I bought this in around '92 , as a fretless . Had a matched fretted one , but missed out at the last minute on that . 

Guy I bought it off wanted Modulus necks on his Stingrays , and shipped in two Modulus Quantum necks direct from the factory . He kept the MM hardware , and electrics , and got Rodger Giffin , to make him a more fancy topped body . Stuck all the electrics back in and fitted the neck . The neck is one of the old Quantum trussrod free ones . 

Needed it fretted , and only person who was willing to do it , was a guy called Steve Smith from Southend - there's a thread somewhere mentioning him . I can only assume that the frets are stainless , as in 27 years of hard gigging , I've only had one fret dress up - around 10 years ago , by Martin Booth . 

I have gigged this hard from '93 to 2020 . Had a large collection over the years , but this was the only bass I ever used , as I could do anything on it . 

Don't worry about having a bass relic'ed for you - I've saved you the trouble . 

I used to have heavy 'downtune' strings on this , and dropping from low E to a C , holds really well - better than many 5's I've had . 

Modulus neck # - 880641

MM Bridge # B022379

Weight on scales - 10lbs

I have this in a double gigbag , that has another bass in it , so alas , I have no case or bag to go with this . 

It'll be a gut wrench for this to go , as it's been my mate for close 30 years now , but as I've now gone 'full 5' , it'll never be gigged again . 

Difficult to price this , as it's sort of a 'one off' , but I reckon £850 is about right . 

I can travel a bit to meet half way , and would prefer cash really . 

Thanks . 

Paul . 

MOD16.jpg

MOD15.jpg

MOD14.jpg

MOD13.jpg

MOD12.jpg

MOD11.jpg

MOD10.jpg

MOD9.jpg

MOD8.jpg

MOD7.jpg

MOD6.jpg

MOD5.jpg

MOD4.jpg

MOD3.jpg

MOD2.jpg

MOD1.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

NICE mojo, chap. You’ll kick yourself if you sell this IMO….

I know . It was like new when I had it (guy who had it built, only probably had it for a couple of years) , and I've owned it for nearly 30 years now . Every mark on the body is mine - back of the neck is still as smooth as it left the factory . 

It'll be a bass I'll remember forever , but it's not going to get played at all . 

As much as it'll upset me to sell it , and it will , I have to be brutal about it . Hopefully meeting up with someone in a few days . 

I'll probably end up like Mr Travis , and try and buy it back in 10 years . 

• Like 2