Why become a member? ×

Octave Pedal recommendations

mattbass6

27 minutes ago, Oomo said:

I've heard a lot of people saying good things about the Source Audio C4's octaver, but haven't found any audio clips of it.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Urm, urm : https://www.google.com/search?q=source+audio+c4&prmd=vsixn&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbhef98PX0AhWhhP0HHVpXDjEQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=393&bih=722&dpr=2.75#ip=1

51 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Sorry, I meant the octave sound specifically... Like you said, I didn't fancy sitting through hours of video in the hope of hearing it 😀

It looks like a fun pedal, but not sure I'd use 90% of what it does.

2 hours ago, Oomo said:

I've heard a lot of people saying good things about the Source Audio C4's octaver, but haven't found any audio clips of it.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Check out the Aguilar Octamizer... it might be analogue but all the better for it. I have reviewed it in the BC effects review section with some audio clips.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oomo said:

Sorry, I meant the octave sound specifically... Like you said, I didn't fancy sitting through hours of video in the hope of hearing it 😀

It looks like a fun pedal, but not sure I'd use 90% of what it does.

It tracks very well and is very tweakable (via phone /laptop) and does a good OC-2 type sound, I didn't like the hardware interface as much as having an actual octave pedal though and I could never get it to sound quite as good as the Octamizer or MXR BOD for their types of analogue slightly growling octave sounds though (although they are more lible to tracking/warbling type issues). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Aguilar Octamizer and it is the only one I've heard which preserves the essential character of the bass being played. However, for me it only works down to C on the A string (others have said theirs goes lower) and it breaks up as a held note decays. That means you have to think about precisely how you are going to use it, but it can be wonderful when it's right; you'd have to construct your song around its capabilities.

I've also got an EBS Octabass (Mk 1); it's more stable but less characterful.

On the octave-up angle, I've got an EH Mosaic, which is really designed to make a 6-string guitar do a 12-string, but it does interesting things on a bass, albeit slightly synthetic sounding.

I've also got a Mooer Tender Octaver, which is a bit plinky, but might work in a mix.

I’ve tried a few, including the much celebrated OC5 but I’ve now found the absolute beast that is the Foxrox Octron. It is, to my humble ears, the best out there by a mile. 
It has 2 flavours of octave down and a really musical octave up fuzzy side. To be honest I think it is basically an expertly executed analogue version of the OC3: an OC2 sound plus a dirt tone. Sounds epic and needs no tweaking.

I know I sound very gushing here but having bought and sold lot of pedals in the last few years I’ve become very picky, so it was such a treat to find this.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

I’ve tried a few, including the much celebrated OC5 but I’ve now found the absolute beast that is the Foxrox Octron. It is, to my humble ears, the best out there by a mile. 
It has 2 flavours of octave down and a really musical octave up fuzzy side. To be honest I think it is basically an expertly executed analogue version of the OC3: an OC2 sound plus a dirt tone. Sounds epic and needs no tweaking.

I know I sound very gushing here but having bought and sold lot of pedals in the last few years I’ve become very picky, so it was such a treat to find this.

I’d love to give one a try as I’ve heard good things about them. 

35 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

love to give one a try as I’ve heard good things about them. 

I’ve never had the pleasure of a 3Leaf so a temporary swapsy might be fun at some point… but not yet! Having too much fun with it :)

This looks good

Screenshot_20220108-113854_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ad52fddbd9d7f9f6590c393a7036ec0e.jpg

https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-poly-blue-octave/

"MXR has unveiled the Poly Blue Octave, a pedal that offers four separate octave divisions and a “thick, unruly” fuzz. The octaves include one down, two down, one up, and two up." 

“You get to control the level of each in the mix as well as decide whether to
run them with the contemporary clarity of polyphonic mode or the raw vintage grit of
monophonic mode,” the company writes. “With a Blue Box Pedal-inspired fuzz mode and a dual Leslie-inspired/Phase 90-inspired modulation mode, you can infuse your pitch-shifted output with liquified thunder and lightning."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SumOne said:

This looks good

Screenshot_20220108-113854_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ad52fddbd9d7f9f6590c393a7036ec0e.jpg

https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-poly-blue-octave/

"MXR has unveiled the Poly Blue Octave, a pedal that offers four separate octave divisions and a “thick, unruly” fuzz. The octaves include one down, two down, one up, and two up." 

“You get to control the level of each in the mix as well as decide whether to
run them with the contemporary clarity of polyphonic mode or the raw vintage grit of
monophonic mode,” the company writes. “With a Blue Box Pedal-inspired fuzz mode and a dual Leslie-inspired/Phase 90-inspired modulation mode, you can infuse your pitch-shifted output with liquified thunder and lightning."

Just when my gear habits were calming. MXR octavers have the best tracking I’ve ever encountered so I’m sure this will be worth checking out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Just when my gear habits were calming. MXR octavers have the best tracking I’ve ever encountered so I’m sure this will be worth checking out. 

Yeah, I keep thinking I'm done - then something like this comes along.