Why become a member? ×

Going back the way you came: a GAS Aesop’s Fable

AndyTravis

Well.

Gas is cow poop.

there.

In 1997 I started on a Yamaha bb300 with a reverse P pickup.

I played (eventually) into a Trace Elliot combo. With 12” speaker.

After £10,000’s of buying and selling…

Im back at a yamaha bb350 (actually a 350f but with frets added…)

And something of TE lineage with 12 band eq on the way. Into a 212.

I’ve wasted my 25 years of playing.

all I’ve added into the equation is a j pickup at the bridge and an extra 12” speaker. Oh and about 200/250w.

Im such an idiot 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Do you know I've had almost the same epiphany. 

After what I now believe was a Kay SG copy, my first three proper basses were Yamahas. When I got my recently acquired BB424x, I thought I could keep this and the BEX4 and get rid of everything else.

But the rest are soooo perdy. 🙄😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Just think of the fun you’ve had with all that kit and the friends you’ve made playing/buying/selling… not all a waste… 🙂

Do you know.

There. That’s changed my outlook. 

Cheers mate.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I knew I liked you.

😘

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Do you know.

Cheers mate.

I knew I liked you.

😘

I’m glad my post gig wisdom has the desired effect. Awww fanks, and I like you to.  😊😗

Edited by bassfan
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Do you know.

Cheers mate.

I knew I liked you.

😘

Yep, it's not where you start, or where you end up...it's about the journey, right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

At least you didn't invade Afghanistan.

Nobody died, but given the amount of stuff I've seen Andy shift in the relatively short time I've been here, the financial costs must at least be in the same ballpark as the Tet Offensive. 😆

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 1

I'm just the same with Precision basses, really.  I like Precision basses.  I keep buying and trying all sorts of other things but, once the honeymoon period ends, I usually end up selling them because they aren't Precision basses.  Trouble is.... once you pick up the scent of a new bass ... the thrill of the chase is such a good feeling :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m in a similar position here @AndyTravis. Although it’s been fun buying and trying, I feel like I’m near saturation and have come full circle, which is actually nice and reaffirming. 

I started on a Ric, played them on and off whilst buying and selling all sorts of other things (Fenders, Alembics, Warwicks, Statii, Jaydees, Wals, Seis, a Pedulla etc etc - many many thousands worth) and currently - apart from my acoustic bass - only have Rics. The ones I have just work for me. But the rest of it has been an absolute blast. 😁

• Like 1

I suppose sometimes we just get the right fit early on, but experimenting and finding other loves takes us away for a while? 

My full circle of going back to Stingrays as a first choice was really complete when I recently got back one I first bought 25 years ago! Still amazed and feeling blessed I got it back after making some tough choices 12 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I'm just the same with Precision basses, really.  I like Precision basses.  I keep buying and trying all sorts of other things but, once the honeymoon period ends, I usually end up selling them because they aren't Precision basses.  Trouble is.... once you pick up the scent of a new bass ... the thrill of the chase is such a good feeling :D 

@Lozz196, @Lozz196...somebody's changed your username and picture...

• Haha 1

I started on a P-bass Sunn Mustang, now a US P after spending ridiculous amounts on many Rickys, and other similar things.

I was chasing a tone in my head, took me years to come to the conclusion that a) I am me, not player x/y/x, and b) Loads of the bass tones you hear on records aren't always what you think they are. I want bass x because of that record, only to find out it was something else entirely!

Upon returning to the instrument, my reasoning is to do what works - tools for the job and all that.

Can't regret the journey, all part of the process. Just wish it hadn't cost quite so much!

I think it's incredibly optimistic of you that this won't change again within a couple of months 😄

I remember seeing Ashdown share a photo of your rig on Facebook, it took a fair bit of self control not to point out that you'd already sold it on and were using another brand😀

• Haha 1

Just now, Graham said:

I think it's incredibly optimistic of you that this won't change again within a couple of months 😄

I remember seeing Ashdown share a photo of your rig on Facebook, it took a fair bit of self control not to point out that you'd already sold it on and were using another brand😀

Ah well…I’m sure they’ll forgive me next time.

77893757-9472-4462-8137-4E07AC35650C.jpeg

• Like 1

Guilty as charge me Lord!

First gig, 2005 ish, was with a Ashdown MAG 300 combo with 15" speaker, P bass of some description.

Next gig hopefully this year, Ashdown RM 500, 15" ABM Neo with Nate Mendel P.

There has been loads of different gear in between and too much money spent but I`m basically back where I started...:scratch_one-s_head: