Why become a member? ×

Free Melodyne Alternative??

lowdown

I thought this might be of interest. It's certainly grabbed my attention and I am going to give it a try.

It's in it's early days and it looks like you can only convert audio to midi files of ten seconds in length. But I suppose it's just a case of chopping up longer files into smaller bar lengths.

The website and link for download:

Edit audio samples with AI - Samplab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

I thought this might be of interest...

Well, it certainly works, but it'll make heavy weather of composing whilst it retains its limitations. Ten seconds is no time at all, and it takes a lot longer than that to process those seconds, so cutting a longer sample into ten-second slices is going to take a while. The result is good; too good, in fact. It depends a lot on the quality of the audio for rendering a clean result; my poor guitar strumming brought out a fit of ghost sounds, absolutely true to the original, but with all the noises, squeaks and rumbles (yes, so much in ten seconds. I play badly, OK..? Wanna make something of it..?) all translated into MIDI notes. True, yes, but difficult to manipulate, as they're very much interdependent. Reaper didn't allow 'drag'n'drop of the audio, so I had to firstly render the ten seconds, before importing the rendered audio  into the Vst.
To be followed; maybe I should try again with cleaner samples, rather than my own playing (OK, I play badly; I know. I know, alright..?). I don't know what Melodyne would make of the same samples, and I haven't the cash to find out; it'll be good to see how far this can evolve. What it did do was very good; it'll be of limited practical use for the moment. To be followed, then, whilst saving up, if this is a real need.
Thanks for the tip; it's interesting.

21 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, it certainly works, but

If you're interested in merely converting a guitar performance to MIDI without converter hardware then you could try Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2 plug in.

Arm and monitor your track, strap the plug-in across the recording input FX, put a VSTi in your track effects... er, that's it, apart from setting up the velocity sensitivities, noise gate etc.

Yes, it's fairly CPU intensive and there are as always false triggering issues if one's playing isn't pristine but it's easy enough to edit the performance afterwards

On the free trial version there's a two minute window until it mutes and you have to re-set it. Which is a bit of a pain when setting up but long enough for quick recordings (taps side of nose). I used it this way for the piano and sax on my last Comp Challenge entry and it was fairly convincing when set up for touch sensitivity for bends, etc.

Midi Guitar 2 was £80 until recently but the price has just shot up to about £109. Wish I'd moved earlier so it's back to the two-minute tango for me :(

Edited by skankdelvar

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

If you're interested in merely converting a guitar performance to MIDI without converter hardware ...

No, no; not at all. I have pretty decent MIDI hardware for my own instruments (Sonuus i2m, or how to play oboe on a bass etc...); the idea was to test stripping an audio file into MIDI. I only used one of my own poor samples by commodity; in 'real life' I'd be wanting to 'decompose' a stretch of Sonny Rollins, Joe Pass or the like. If I wanted to change my own major chord to minor, I'd just play it again, Sam..! The deconstruction of third-party samples would be interesting, but ten seconds doesn't go very far.
Thanks for the tip, though; it's the Thought that counts.

(I was tempted to add 'Bless...-_-', but thought that it might come across as Condescension rather than Humour, so I didn't. -_-...)

xD :P

• Haha 1