Why become a member? ×

Fender/Squier Precision Bass Bitsa ‘78 US Body SOLD thanks Alain
£625
Lancaster

ash

This is an interesting bitsa bass I built around an old ‘78 US Fender Precision bass body I came across. The intention was to use a Status graphite neck however being a cheap skate I ended up putting an Indonesian  Squier maple neck on it that works really well. It has a 70’s Fender decal replacing the Squier logo and a set of Hipshot tuners. It plays very nicely indeed and is currently set up with D’Addario flats. 

The pickups are a Fender Mexican P Bass taken from a 50s reissue and a US Jazz. It’s wired as a simple two volume, single tone circuit and you can get characteristic P or J sounds from the individual pickups and some nice variations when using both. 

The body itself was stripped many years ago and an oil finish applied. The ID stamp remain in the neck pocket, the enlarged control cavity has been well shielded. The screw pattern under the scratchplate matches the plate from my 77 Precision and there are no extra screw holes. The tortoiseshell style scratchplate is a reasonable quality replacement and has some extra holes drilled into it. The bridge is the threaded 50’s type that gives you better adjustment for string spacing. It’s top loaded of course. 

Importantly the body is not a boat-anchor compared to many of this era. The whole instrument weighs in at 4kgs. I’ve used this a lot as it’s a lovely bass to play, the neck is excellent - a surprise to me in fact as I haven’t played a maple Squier neck of this type before. The nut width is slightly less than my 77 P bass and around the same as my JV. 

I’m not looking for trades. I am open to decent offers as I’m not sure how to price it. Cash on collection would be preferable but I can post within the UK.

If anyone wants to buy the body on its own pm me with an offer as someone may have an original ‘78 neck out there. 

Thanks for looking. 

C7129DBB-CE78-40EA-B373-DBE3E73A6F87.jpeg

6EC45AB8-5E4E-4F3D-AF57-F5043690261B.jpeg

Edited by ash
Now sold. Thanks.
  • Like 5

• ash changed the title to Fender/Squier Precision Bass Bitsa ‘78 US Body SOLD thanks Alain
  • Silvia Bluejay locked this topic