Why become a member? ×

Small heads with aux-in/headphone out?

Mylkinut

Hi all,

A new baby means I'm doing a lot more headphone practice than I used to, mostly playing along to songs using an aux input. I originally used a Vox Amplug, but it only lasted a couple of months before falling apart. I've since been using a Pandora Stomp, but I find it's a faff to set up and results in a nest of wires on the floor.

I've thought about getting a small head I can leave more permanently set up on one of my cabs, while also doubling as a backup to my TH500 - maybe one of these:

• GK MB200
  • TC BH250
  • TC BQ250

Any I'm missing? Looks like most of the truly tiny heads (ELF, BAM200 etc) don't have an aux-in, and the Ampeg PF350 doesn't have speakon connectors so I'd be getting new cables to use my cabs with it.

Also read the aux-in on TC amps can be really quiet, any users found this? How about the GK?

Cheers for any help!

Not sure about TC or GK but a TecAmp (or Eich) Puma would fit the bill. Great amps and very handy for silent practice.

…….. and available as 300, 500 or 900 watt.

Edited by Deedee
Doh! 300 not 350 (that was the mk1) 🙄

Don't buy an under-powered (for your needs) head ... instead buy the best possible device for headphone playing. I recommend the PJB Bass Buddy VERY highly. Truly excellent piece of kit, something of a Swiss Army Knife in its functionality, built like a tank, and will even drive a 110 or 112 cab at 5W if used as a practice amp at home.

Another vote for PJB but this time for the bighead. 
Headphones, aux in, good battery life (carry it anywhere.) 

I run an Ampeg preamp through mine for that tube smoothness. 
I picked mine up for £90 off flea-bay 

Zoom B1-Four. I do all my headphone practice with mine, great headphone sound and comes with a tuner, drum machine , dozens of fx and some useful built in cab and amp emulations. I use mine with batteries (rechargeable AA's) and get about 10 hours out of them. That cuts the leads down by one and means I can practice anywhere. And it's cheap!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Zoom B1-Four. I do all my headphone practice with mine, great headphone sound and comes with a tuner, drum machine , dozens of fx and some useful built in cab and amp emulations. I use mine with batteries (rechargeable AA's) and get about 10 hours out of them. That cuts the leads down by one and means I can practice anywhere. And it's cheap!

Same here, I also use rechargeable batts. Can’t fault it for the money and I really like the sound, it’s better than using the headphone socket on my amps.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Zoom B1-4. if only for headphone practice you will probable benefit from some sort of amp sim in the headphones. pretty sure those amps wont have this and will sound quite flat compared to something that can simulate (to an extent) a rig.

Not sure about the 'permanently set up' bit. most of these heads use the master volume knob to control the headphone, so you cant actuality leave it connected to a cab. Id also make sure you get a proper stereo signal, which i dont think you will with the GK (i can check mine if needed).

Its nice to have a back up, but IME the back up needs to be pretty close to the main amp, otherwise its too much of a compromise if actuality needed. Again the B1 will allow you to go via the PA if needed, and still have a fuller sound than just plain DI.

I use a Zoom B1.on for home practice. Like others with a Zoom it's just instrument cable in, headphones out, and aux in if you need a backing track (and rechargeable batteries). Never had any problems, it's small and you can practice anywhere in the house...within reason :D

You can also use a generic cheap bluetooth receiver to connect to your phone, I use one like this with my TC BH250 but I guess any will do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265235324042?hash=item3dc141dc8a:g:uTYAAOSwbhVgyxNh

I like that one as you can use a small male-male 3.5mm cable instead of the included adapter and velcro it to the side of the amp. 

I just use the head for home playing and more recently for full band rehearsals, was impressed with the smart eq when paired with a pretty dead sounding Warwick 4x10 at my last rehearsal as I could easily dial some nice mids back and cut boom without losing low end. At home I use it with a more flat sounding 1x10 which sounds great with everything at 12 o'clock.