Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Red Ripper re-release

dannybuoy

I did a little side by side when I briefly had both. The Red Ripper can get close to The Prunes sound, but the prunes is wilder and squelchier (for want of a better term) it is far more synthy. The Red Ripper can do a whole lot more as it can cop big muff sounds as well as sounding like a brassmaster, it's all to do with the RIP control. I sold the prunes to get a 5 string Yamaha, then bought the red ripper, and once again sold it to get other things. I did compare with some fuzz/filter settings on the C4 which were close enough to make selling them easier.

I do wish I had the disposable income to just keep things 😂

20210310_192336.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Little addition! If somebody wants a Red Ripper Esq fuzz then the Emma Okto Nojs gets very close. It also has a synthy Square wave has an Octave down AND a nice Analog octaver. A very cool pedal indeed, and maybe easier/,cheaper to get hold of 😁

I had one but sold it! Great pedal, should've kept it in retrospect. Would still like to try a Red Ripper though just out of curiosity.

The TWA DynaMorph / MiniMorph are meant to be similar too, also some of the Source Audio distortions can pull off a similar sound.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 21:00, dannybuoy said:

Always wanted to check one out to compare to the Prunes & Custard...

Well after Mike Kerr bigged it up and they got hit with tons of requests, they are reissuing it!

I guess I owe Mike Kerr for shifting my RR - went pretty much the next day for full asking price after he made his announcement, having not had much interest on here or eBay beforehand (cheers Mike!).

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If you want Prunes and Custard sounds you want a Prunes & Custard pedal. It's not like they are expensive! Mr Crowther will happily mail you one.

Does he sell them direct? I can’t even find a website for them, just a few sites selling them for over £200

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJE said:

Does he sell them direct? I can’t even find a website for them, just a few sites selling them for over £200

Yep and would imports from NZ get hit with import tax? It may work out £200+ even if imported from him directly, I don't think that's cheap.

Loved mine though and regret selling it.

There are other things that get that dynamic fold over Distortion, but the prunes is unique.

2 hours ago, NJE said:

I didn't know he had got UK distribution going. Usually that would seal the deal. Having a look around they have gone global! The NZ chains have them and Paul has retired to his shed to solder and test by the looks of it. 289NZD retail here. 200 quid sounds like too many layers. That's ~400 NZD.

Paul is an old man already already so you better hop to it before he retires to the big stage in the sky.

• Like 1