Why become a member? ×

Let It Be 2021 Remix

Hobbayne

11 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

... What do you think? ...

Why..? Just 'Why'..? Why can't folk just let it be..? T'was never a splendid song in the first place, Spector or not. I don't hear much difference anyway, certainly nothing that now makes it worth playing. Beatles fan..? Up to a point, yes, I am, but not for this stuff. Weak before, it's weak now. :|

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Why..? Just 'Why'..? Why can't folk just let it be..? T'was never a splendid song in the first place, Spector or not. I don't hear much difference anyway, certainly nothing that now makes it worth playing. Beatles fan..? Up to a point, yes, I am, but not for this stuff. Weak before, it's weak now. :|

'Weak'. LOLz

I think it's a great song (It's Let it Be, FFS) and I like the remix. If you like it, listen to it. If you don't, the old mix is still available.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Sounds good to me, a nice alternative to the original, but didn't they already do rhis a few years ago with Let It Be Naked?

That's what I was thinking, this mix sounds very close to the 'Naked  version.

After hearing the naked version the original sounds dreadful. The original is bloated, crowded and pastey. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Agreed.

Weirdly, they haven't completely removed Spector's additions from the remixes, you can still hear the orchestra really low.

Wasnt it The Long & Winding Road that had the orchestra? 

11 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

...that said, I've always hated the drum part. Sorry, Ringo.

I'm not really that much of a Beatles fan, but Ringo Starr is more a case of right place, right time. 

A mate of mine (and a Beatles fan) once said that his playing was 'clueless and uninspiring' and the the ability gap at the end was akin to having Meg White replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater.

Chuckle.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

TBH I think your mate is wrong, but that particular drum part is a stinker 50% of the time.

By a curious quirk in the space time continuum, 'A Day In the Life' just came up on a Spotify playlist.  Considering this was what, five or six years into Ringo's time with the band and this (as a track) is several country miles ahead of Love Me Do, the drums are just awful and yes, I know this is only one song.

To the casual listener (and perhaps non-muso), The Beatles are about melodies and words rather than the instrumentation.  The drums on Let It Be really aren't that dissimilar to A Day In The Life; I know it's a ballad, but there's no attack or flair, it's peppered with those awful (lazy) tom fills, the loose hi-hats.  Thing is, I don't have an answer as to an alternative and besides, it's never going to happen...the calibre of most modern rock drummers would leave Ringo Starr in their dust.  Could you imagine Dave Grohl, Matt Cameron or Stewart Copeland playing on either of these?  I could envisage Keith Moon, Clem Burke or maybe Roger Taylor doing it justice.

I thought Love Me Do was drummed by Andy White with Ringo on tambourine. 

IMO Ringo was a very good drummer. He changed the way drums could be played. Listen to all the drummers in the beat groups at the time, they were all playing bog-standard patterns. Ringo started to make his patterns more creative, and, probably helped by the others, came up with some great, different and original drumming.

• Like 2

And let’s not forget this was 50 odd years ago. Sure drummers of today would do things differently/better, but that’s with the benefit of those 50 plus years of music to take inspiration from.

Pretty much the same with Macca on bass, what The Beatles were doing back then was way ahead of the time, but judging them on todays standards & styles is pointless. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

By a curious quirk in the space time continuum, 'A Day In the Life' just came up on a Spotify playlist.  Considering this was what, five or six years into Ringo's time with the band and this (as a track) is several country miles ahead of Love Me Do, the drums are just awful and yes, I know this is only one song.

To the casual listener (and perhaps non-muso), The Beatles are about melodies and words rather than the instrumentation.  The drums on Let It Be really aren't that dissimilar to A Day In The Life; I know it's a ballad, but there's no attack or flair, it's peppered with those awful (lazy) tom fills, the loose hi-hats.  Thing is, I don't have an answer as to an alternative and besides, it's never going to happen...the calibre of most modern rock drummers would leave Ringo Starr in their dust.  Could you imagine Dave Grohl, Matt Cameron or Stewart Copeland playing on either of these?  I could envisage Keith Moon, Clem Burke or maybe Roger Taylor doing it justice.

I like Ringo’s part on A Day In the Life - the song is off-the-wall, and it helps with the vibe. The fills are memorable.

Let It Be’s just a mess. It’s like a rehearsal part where he tries something daft every few bars.

• Like 1

Wow, I wish I could write a weak song as good as this one.

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

the the ability gap at the end was akin to having Meg White replace Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater.

I would pay proper money to hear that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I picked this up today. It sounds just lovely. It's clearer, yes, but ballsier too. Top job from Giles Martin, I doff my cap.

Phil Spectors wall of sound has been toned down. It is still there but not quite as over the top  as it was.

A lot of people are asking why are all these albums being remixed?

I dont mind.

You have to bear in mind that the the originals were mixed 50 odd years ago to be played on the equipment available at the time.

These days with more advanced technology, its great to hear them in high def.

14 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Phil Spectors wall of sound has been toned down. It is still there but not quite as over the top  as it was.

A lot of people are asking why are all these albums being remixed?

I dont mind.

You have to bear in mind that the the originals were mixed 50 odd years ago to be played on the equipment available at the time.

These days with more advanced technology, its great to hear them in high def.

I agree. There's some albums out there I'd love to be given the full 2021 treatment (as long as it's genuinely better).

As an aside, sometimes even a simple bottom-up remix works wonders.

In The Evening is one of my favourite Zeppelin songs, but it's murky as hell. The remix on the In Through the Out Door deluxe edition is a revelation (apart from the War of the Worlds synth part.)