Why become a member? ×

Worth swapping new strings for the sake of .05 on two strings?

neepheid

I've got a couple of basses which came with 45, 65, 80, 100 strings and I've historically used 45, 65, 85, 105.  But it kinda grinds with my rural Scottish tightness to whip off brand new, perfectly serviceable strings for the sake of a tiny increase in string size on two of them.  Am I being mad?

The real question is, are you dissatisfied with the current feel and/or tone of the basses at the moment? If you didn’t *know* the gauge of the strings currently on them, would you have any gripes?

If so, replace ‘em and sell the old strings to someone here on Basschat.

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

I've got a couple of basses which came with 45, 65, 80, 100 strings and I've historically used 45, 65, 85, 105.  But it kinda grinds with my rural Scottish tightness to whip off brand new, perfectly serviceable strings for the sake of a tiny increase in string size on two of them.  Am I being mad?

given that different makes will have different tension anyway. aye, unless you can tell the difference and you're being a bit mad. 

I prefer 45-100s as you can get more bass onto the G & D without swamping the E & A and making them too boomy. Especially on a Precision where the pickup placement puts the thinner strings over the nearer to the bridge pickup, helps to balance it out a bit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CameronJ said:

The real question is, are you dissatisfied with the current feel and/or tone of the basses at the moment? If you didn’t *know* the gauge of the strings currently on them, would you have any gripes?

If so, replace ‘em and sell the old strings to someone here on Basschat.

This ^^^

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I prefer 45-100s as you can get more bass onto the G & D without swamping the E & A and making them too boomy. Especially on a Precision where the pickup placement puts the thinner strings over the nearer to the bridge pickup, helps to balance it out a bit.

This has always been my approach to string gauge choice.

On 27/08/2021 at 12:28, Lozz196 said:

I prefer 45-100s as you can get more bass onto the G & D without swamping the E & A and making them too boomy

I thought it went this way: if the E & A go up a notch of size, they have to go up a notch of tension, and that makes them brighter and less boomy?

When I tried Rotosound 66s at 45 65 80 105, that A string seemed to be more bassy, less vivid.