Why become a member? ×

Daddario Prosteels tension change ?

shoulderpet

Hi

Wanting to give Prosteels a 2nd chance now that I have a bass that has a pretty mid heavy pickup I got a set a couple weeks ago. 

Before I got them I looked up the tension information and got the 105-45 set as I wanted to go a smidge lighter tension than the Rotos I had on and these seemed to be very, very slightly lighter, looking them up online I found that they would be around 170ibs ish tension wise anyway the strings arrived and looking at the info on the back they are a good 10ibs lighter than stated by Daddario online so just wondered if anyone would know why, just want to know for the next time I order these, thanks

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Btw, how did you find the Pro Steels and their slightly looser feel? It's the one thing holding me from giving them a try.

I found them just a smidge looser than Rotosounds but not floppy by any means, more of a medium tension rather than the medium high tension of Rotos which are quite stiff in anything above 100-40, to be honest I think more people will have more issue with the mid scoop of Pro steels than the tension but if you are after a bright zingy string these are it

• Like 1

Which reminds me, I don't be believe D'Addario one bit when it says "String Tension Pro under construction", when you try to access their former great online string tension calculator,  it's been like that for years, if it was truly under construction it had been done and up and available years ago,

Something tells me they don't have any intentions of ever fixing it and making it available again.

I refuse to believe it is that much of rocket science project that it couldn't be done in a matter of at least a couple of month at max, if just they actually had someone working on it.

Would have been more accurate if the old D'Addario String Tension Pro site said "We don't care a flying hoot about your stupid string tension *lol*", instead of lying about doing something to get the string tension calculator up and running again.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 4 weeks later...

I used Prosteels 5 for years before the price has stupidly gone up.

Honnestly, they were good strings but after triying others, the D'addario B string is just bad.

I always thought that my WW streamer jazzman 5 had a week and boomy  B string til the day I stopped using D'addario's and installed Sadowsky blue steel on it.

I've done the same thing on a MM Sterling with the same result. A fantastic B string where it was just good enough with Prosteels.

;)

Is that because they have a bit of a "scoopy" sound to them maybe? I found them to sound pretty decent on my Precisions, and felt very comfortable to play too, only downside was they lost a lot of zing very quickly and really didn`t like the sound after that.

On 06/01/2022 at 20:32, Ricky Rioli said:

Btw, how did you find the Pro Steels and their slightly looser feel? It's the one thing holding me from giving them a try.

I had forgotten about this reputation! Not floppy on on the 065 and 085, and very definitely not floppy on the 050 and 110! 😅

I know what people are getting at when they say the sound is scooped, but I'm guessing the Dimarzio is preventing them from hollowing out the sound. Having gone from Fender nickel-plated to these, I've no sense of having lost any stuffing from the sound, it's just that all the colours of the tonal picture are a lot more vivid. More obvious. More, er, steely?