Why become a member? ×

Lightweight cabs - the definitive list (updated)

Friskydingo

5 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

If you REALLY cared about our needs you'd construct a bespoke algorithm to scrape data from all UK based sales sites and then create a mean, median and mode column of those prices. But clearly sir you are a slacker and are content with the bare minimum of effort! 😜

I really do things half-assed. Which is shown in my bass playing 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

I couldn't find the tc data on their site. They only do 2x8, 2x10 and 4x10 I believe? But I read they're massive. 

If you find a link I'll add them

They do a 210, 212, 112, 115 and 410.  At a glance the 210 and 112 defo come in under the other heaviest on your list.  You need to look at the RS range, the spec is on the 'specification' tab for each cab.  

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CJE

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Sorry for this suggestion, but a column showing which ones had a tweeter would be really useful. The slappers love them, but equally a lot of people don't want them or turn them off.

That's something I've been contemplating as a tweeter also adds weight and is a factor 

• Like 1

Nice piece of work, this ... very helpful.

One for the list, please:

Alusonic 112 with tweeter (well, compression driver)

24 lbs

300W

8 Ohms

And for your further consideration, perhaps a 'MISC' section for all the quirky, weird stuff that people like me end up owning. For example ...

Greenboy Crazy 8 1x8

18.5 lbs

200W

8 Ohms

Or even (and at the risk of attracting cries of "but that's a combo") ...

PJB Briefcase 2x5

28 lbs (or 35 lbs with a motorcycle battery inside)

100W

4 Ohms

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Maybe select a few cab nerds and give them editing abilities on the document?

Would cut down the workload for you.

I don't mind a couple of people helping out. I don't want everyone having access just in case there's constant edits or bickering or even worse someone deletes it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Nice piece of work, this ... very helpful.

One for the list, please:

Alusonic 112 with tweeter (well, compression driver)

24 lbs

300W

8 Ohms

And for your further consideration, perhaps a 'MISC' section for all the quirky, weird stuff that people like me end up owning. For example ...

Greenboy Crazy 8 1x8

18.5 lbs

200W

8 Ohms

Or even (and at the risk of attracting cries of "but that's a combo") ...

PJB Briefcase 2x5

28 lbs (or 35 lbs with a motorcycle battery inside)

100W

4 Ohms

I may add the misc section and let others do the work for me. If users post the details I need I can then copy and paste it to the spreadsheet. 

Also alusonic! Another one I missed, although the list was meant to have more common brands or easily available 

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

Great list, very useful!

Am I right in thinking the power/ watts ratings are ‘program’ rather than the more often used ‘continuous’ , if so maybe needs clarifying?

Thanks for taking the time to compile it. 🙂

Yes 'program' rated, some brands don't disclose continuous 

• Like 1

First of all well done for doing this, I'm sure people will find it helpful.

I hesitate to make too many suggestions which will make extra work for you but a couple of things to possibly consider.

I think anyone looking at this with a view to buying would want a comprehensive list of the lightest cabs. Would it be fairer to include all cabs below a certain weight?  In your 12's for example you have a cab at 14.9kg which is a bit of a middleweight, but you only have one Barefaced. All their 12's are lightweight and if I was looking for a light 12 I'd want to know the full list. I can't see a 33kg Ampeg as lightweight :)

Along a similar vein adding a horn, crossover and compression driver is going to add at least 2kg so target for designing a lightweight 12 might be 10kg for a single driver and 12kg for one with a tweeter. You could effectively end up excluding all tweetered cabs from your list. Maybe you could have a separate list for tweetered cabs?

Finally I'm concerned at the power ratings manufacturers give. I see one manufacturer is rated by you as 600W (their ads say use a 600W amp), but the speaker they use is a modified Eminence driver which is thermally rated at 400W by Eminence. Other manufacturers are using the same driver rated (correctly IMO) at 400W. The same speaker is rated as 97db per watt sensitivity but maximum output is quoted by the cab maker as 127db, it's actually nearer 121db and similar to nearly every other 12" speaker on your list. To get that output would take 1000W(+30db) It's all a bit of a minefield so maybe you could put in a note to say that the power handling figures are from the manufacturers and people need to take them with a pinch of salt. I wouldn't go near trying to find and list the maximum output/ sensitivity figures I don't think you'll find any objective figures.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

First of all well done for doing this, I'm sure people will find it helpful.

I hesitate to make too many suggestions which will make extra work for you but a couple of things to possibly consider.

I think anyone looking at this with a view to buying would want a comprehensive list of the lightest cabs. Would it be fairer to include all cabs below a certain weight?  In your 12's for example you have a cab at 14.9kg which is a bit of a middleweight, but you only have one Barefaced. All their 12's are lightweight and if I was looking for a light 12 I'd want to know the full list. I can't see a 33kg Ampeg as lightweight :)

Along a similar vein adding a horn, crossover and compression driver is going to add at least 2kg so target for designing a lightweight 12 might be 10kg for a single driver and 12kg for one with a tweeter. You could effectively end up excluding all tweetered cabs from your list. Maybe you could have a separate list for tweetered cabs?

Finally I'm concerned at the power ratings manufacturers give. I see one manufacturer is rated by you as 600W (their ads say use a 600W amp), but the speaker they use is a modified Eminence driver which is thermally rated at 400W by Eminence. Other manufacturers are using the same driver rated (correctly IMO) at 400W. The same speaker is rated as 97db per watt sensitivity but maximum output is quoted by the cab maker as 127db, it's actually nearer 121db and similar to nearly every other 12" speaker on your list. To get that output would take 1000W(+30db) It's all a bit of a minefield so maybe you could put in a note to say that the power handling figures are from the manufacturers and people need to take them with a pinch of salt. I wouldn't go near trying to find and list the maximum output/ sensitivity figures I don't think you'll find any objective figures.

I'll probably add other models for various brands soon, I just wanted to represent each manufacturer in case people want matching cabs or a particular sound. 

Can't do anything about the Watts stated by the manufacturer. I only put what they state. I hope people will do a bit more research into loudness/power. My list gives at least a ball park figure. 

I added an extra column if the cab has a tweeter, which is incorporated in to weight. If I have time I'll add what the crossover frequency is. 

I'll happily add you to have edit permission

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Can the Ashdown PRO-NEO ABM cabs be added - probably only a kg or two heavier than their Rootmaster cabs.

I'm going to get round to adding other models, I just wanted a representative of each manufacturer. At the moment on mobile which makes if far more challenging to edit! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Friskydingo changed the title to Lightweight cabs - the definitive list (updated)