Why become a member? ×

Test your gear!

neepheid

We've got our first post-lockdown gigs this weekend.  At the last rehearsal I decided to make sure everything I would be using at the gig is working.

Extension cab - no sound coming out of it at all

Overdrive pedal - has developed a fault, I think it might be the switch.

I fixed the cab - a wire had come out of its internal connector.  It's back up and running.  I haven't got time to tinker with the OD pedal so I took the opportunity to experiment with a different one and it arrived today.

Moral of the story - in the excitement to get going again don't just rock up to your first gig back without checking ALL your gear, otherwise you might end up looking like a right berk :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, neepheid said:

We've got our first post-lockdown gigs this weekend.  At the last rehearsal I decided to make sure everything I would be using at the gig is working.

Extension cab - no sound coming out of it at all

Overdrive pedal - has developed a fault, I think it might be the switch.

I fixed the cab - a wire had come out of its internal connector.  It's back up and running.  I haven't got time to tinker with the OD pedal so I took the opportunity to experiment with a different one and it arrived today.

Moral of the story - in the excitement to get going again don't just rock up to your first gig back without checking ALL your gear, otherwise you might end up looking like a right berk :)

doesn't matter whether gear works or not, I still end up looking a berk! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a studio session just after everything opened up. Gear worked fine but when it came to pack down, I couldn't unplug the speaker cable from the cab, no matter how I twisted or pulled the plug.

....I'd forgotten that Neutrik connectors have a little slidey thing you have to pull back to unplug it.  

• Like 3

I can sympathise!

I've started rehearsing in earnest for my show on the 1st of October.

It will be 23 months since my last gig(!?!!!) and in that time one of my amplifiers has developed a fault, my pickup is on the way out and I need to make a whole heap of new reeds (the woodwind equivalent of strings).

Thankfully it's all showing up with a month to go...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

This should be on the landing page of this website, in a huge and luminous font.

My band have done a couple of shows since the end of house arrest and before the first one, I dragged all my gigging gear to a local rehearsal room to make sure everything still created the appropriate noises. Just me, without the band. Fortunately,  it all still worked, but I think it would be foolhardy to trust any gear that has been sitting still for eighteen months. Weird things can happen...

• Like 2

On 25/08/2021 at 18:17, Woodwind said:

I can sympathise!

I've started rehearsing in earnest for my show on the 1st of October.

It will be 23 months since my last gig(!?!!!) and in that time one of my amplifiers has developed a fault, my pickup is on the way out and I need to make a whole heap of new reeds (the woodwind equivalent of strings).

Thankfully it's all showing up with a month to go...

Where are you playing Thomas?

• Like 1