Why become a member? ×

5 string Jazz basses

Wil

Well, you may recall I was looking for a 4 string Stingray recently. I'd wanted one for ages, and went to try a few out the other week. Didn't get on with them at all! Just something about them didn't click with me. I don't know what it was, but they just didnt say "buy me". Well, one less thing to GAS about!

At the same time though I played a few USA Fender Jazz 4 strings - a Standard with S1 (I think) and a highway 1. Liked both, very much. So, of course, now I'm gassin for a Jazz! In my band though I really need a 5, which rules out the Highway 1 which I believe only comes with 4 strings...

There have been some lovely Lakland DJ basses for sale lately, but are they worth the extra scratch over a used USA Fender? Is there another maker I should consider (nothing too pricey)? Basically I want a 5 string Jazz with a great fingerstyle tone, a B that isnt too floppy, and nothing too "modern" looking (no lack of pickguard, spalted tops etc).

[quote name='Toasted' post='47614' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:20 AM']In your position I'd get a used Lakland skyline.[/quote]

Whats the quality of the Skyline basses like in comparison with a USA Fender? I was tempted by Muya's but seemed a bit on the pricey side for a used one.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='47616' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:21 AM']Silverfoxnik has got two for sale - a Yammy BB615 (no pickguard, but retro look) and a re-worked Sub 5. It's different to a normal SR5, so you might like it more. Both in for sale section.[/quote]

Not a fan of those Yammys, the looks are, er, not my bowl of blamange if you know what I mean. The Sub looks nice but I'm in the Jazz mindset now :)

Having had one, I'd buy a MIM Jazz V. Lovely quality, great sound & you'll save shed load of cash, too!

Played a few USA jazzes over the past few days & there's just something about them that doesn't quite fit (me) - Perhaps it's that my Geddy Lee Jazz's neck is so much thinner, but they just sound and feel 'wrong'. Curiously, after a v

Having had one, I'd buy a MIM Jazz V. Lovely quality, great sound & you'll save shed load of cash, too!

Played a few USA jazzes over the past few days & there's just something about them that doesn't quite fit (me) - Perhaps it's that my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz's neck is so much thinner, but they just sound and feel 'wrong'. Curiously, after a visit to Sound Control in Leeds yesterday, playing both Jazzes & Precisions - USA S1's, Highway One's & Mexican Standards - the bass that shone through in the store was a 'lowly' MIM Precision! It had fantastic finish & felt lovely to the touch. I was actually disappointed with the USA necks, especially the S! jazz with the maple board. It felt far too thick & half finished! Is the American quality control slipping?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

It depends quite a bit on the size of your hands. I once bought a Fender Jazz 5 on a whim and found that I physically couldn't play it as the neck was so wide.

In terms of performance, quality of build and value the Lakland DJ5 is it.

I had had 2 Fender JB"s V.

One MIM Deluxe and one MIA Deluxe.

Both were great basses, with great playablity and great feelings on the neck. I've found that the pres and B string was not very good but some great basses by the way...

And one day I discovered Lakland...

And with this brand I discovered playability, quality, comfort, build and especially sound ! Great sound !

I like so those basses that I'm wondering if won't sell or trade my 55-02 for a Darryl Jones 5...

If you like Jazz Basses go for a Lakland !

Personally, I've never been impressed with the Fender V's, whether MIM or USA made, mainly because the definition of the low B string on the ones I've played, hasn't been that good.

The Lakland DJ5 I've just acquired is noticably better than the Ken Smith Designs Proto Jazz V I had, and it's way, way better than the Fender Vs I've tried.

Firstly, the Low B is excellent, secondly, the playability is in another league entirely and most importantly of all, the tone is everything a good passive Jazz bass should be!

Yanks always talk about 'bang for the buck' when they buy and sell basses on Forums like Talkbass and IMHO, the Lakland Skylines are definitely the best bang for your buck that you can get.

Nik

If you really like that Jazz sound and feel I would get a 4 string.
The Fender 5s apparently have a slightly flabby B string although it may not bother you.
The drawback with a Lakland 5 is also it's plus point- the 35" scale makes for a good B string but you loose out on that funkiness on the other strings IMO- bear with me.
I have Homer's/ OBBM's old Skyline JO5- I think it's a great bass but there is extra tension in [u]all[/u] the strings.
When you dig in on a 34" neck you get a great funky feeling through your fingers which is slightly diminished on a 35" neck as there is more resistance there.

Try before you buy.

If you want a 35" 5 string I can recommend a well priced second hand Skyline if you can find one.

DJ has a chunkier neck than a JO5 too!

As has been said- it's well chronicled that the Lakland Skyline basses are some of the best value basses you can get.

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='chardbass' post='47913' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:10 PM']If you really like that Jazz sound and feel I would get a 4 string.
The Fender 5s apparently have a slightly flabby B string although it may not bother you.
The drawback with a Lakland 5 is also it's plus point- the 35" scale makes for a good B string but you loose out on that funkiness on the other strings IMO- bear with me.
I have Homer's/ OBBM's old Skyline JO5- I think it's a great bass but there is extra tension in [u]all[/u] the strings.
When you dig in on a 34" neck you get a great funky feeling through your fingers which is slightly diminished on a 35" neck as there is more resistance there.

Try before you buy.

If you want a 35" 5 string I can recommend a well priced second hand Skyline if you can find one.

DJ has a chunkier neck than a JO5 too!

As has been said- it's well chronicled that the Lakland Skyline basses are some of the best value basses you can get.[/quote]

On the necks of the DJ5 and JO5, it's been a while since I played a JO5, but I'm pretty sure the DJ5 isn't as chunky. Certainly the JO5 has a more pronounced C to the profile, which is perhaps where I'm getting the chunkiness from.

I think I know what you mean about the extra tension of the longer scale, but surely a good set-up and/or a slightly lighter gauge of string will brink the funk back! I don't feel what you describe in my DJ5 though, digging in gets me exactly what I want from it. The DJ5 which Nik bought from me I did feel was a little less responsive to digging in, but I always put that down to a rosewood board versus maple.

Tonally though I have to disagree on the "get a 4" suggestion. Both of the DJ5s I've owned and all that I've played have sounded exactly like I'd expect a jazz of their kind to sound. Both had well defined bottom end thump combined with zinging upper mids and highs on the maple boarded one or slightly softer highs but more pronounced mids on the rosewood boarded one.

I think generally though I'm in agreement with you and most people who've commented, the best non-vintage Fender Jazz you can buy without spending a fortune is one of the Lakland Skylines, doubly so if you're thinking in terms of 5 strings over 4.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='48124' date='Aug 21 2007, 02:22 AM']On the necks of the DJ5 and JO5, it's been a while since I played a JO5, but I'm pretty sure the DJ5 isn't as chunky. Certainly the JO5 has a more pronounced C to the profile, which is perhaps where I'm getting the chunkiness from.

I think I know what you mean about the extra tension of the longer scale, but surely a good set-up and/or a slightly lighter gauge of string will brink the funk back! I don't feel what you describe in my DJ5 though, digging in gets me exactly what I want from it. The DJ5 which Nik bought from me I did feel was a little less responsive to digging in, but I always put that down to a rosewood board versus maple.

Tonally though I have to disagree on the "get a 4" suggestion.[/quote]

What I mean is on a 4 string- when you play over the back pick up there is still an amount of give in the string which is less apparent on the 35" scale bass which offers a bit more resistance.
Likewise if you fancy a bit of double thumbing it's [i]slightly[/i] trickier on a 35" for the same reason.

A tauter B equals tauter E,A,D, and G strings too.

I'm not knocking them- both my basses are 35" Laklands.
I do fancy a maple necked jazz 5 tho- liking the sound of the brightness.

Edited by chardbass