Why become a member? ×

Baby sues dead man and chums over genitalia failure

upside downer

13 hours ago, Jason Karloff said:

I wonder if the relatives of David are contemplating sueing Michelangelo for the pain and suffering of portraying him with such small tackle. 

Is that considered small? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Wow!

I know we live in a very different world today. But how did they ever think that was a good idea, let alone get away with it? 

These were the days that a-holes like Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir signed the infamous letter about "love" relationships between adults and kids being OK, as again brought to the surface with the talk around the Vanessa Springora book.
Ya know, raping is OK if you do it in a responsible manner...

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

These were the days that a-holes like Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir signed the infamous letter about "love" relationships between adults and kids being OK, as again brought to the surface with the talk around the Vanessa Springora book.
Ya know, raping is OK if you do it in a responsible manner...

Just different times, I reckon. There's a very long list of child brides in the Wikipedia...

List of Child Brides ...

... from past and recent times. One may note, for an extreme example ...

Isabella of Valois (aged 6) was married to Richard II of England (aged 29) in October 1396, a little over a week before her seventh birthday. The marriage was never consummated. After Richard's death, Isabella married her cousin Charles, Duke of Orléans (aged 11), in June 1406, when she was 16.

... or, more up-to-date ...

Nujood Ali (age 10), an arranged marriage by her father to a 30-year-old man in 2008. Coverage of her self-presented application for divorce later that year led to the legal age of marriage in Yemen to be raised to 18.

I'm not condoning, just remarking. Times change, but slowly.

19 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Just different times, I reckon.

[ ... ]

I'm not condoning, just remarking. Times change, but slowly.

I appreciate your somewhat philosophical approach, but:

To start, and for clarity's sake, my stance is not driven by hate for the mentioned writers or their branch of existentialism. I believe both Sartre and de Beauvoir were fantastic thinkers and writers, and I've also accepted some of their thinking. However, as to the theme at hand, we're talking about:
- a cultural elite,

- in the 1970s,

- in an advanced Western society.

IMHO this cultural elite totally lost it.  I strongly disliked this back then, and still do.

The knowledge and insight were out there for everyone to pick up  -  especially for a French cultural elite who were way more educated and well-read than I've ever been, and probably more intelligent as well.
One just has to read the then available books on the subject.
I did.
They must have too.

Ha! With my experience of elite circles in Paris in the 70s, I'd wager a guess these people would probably look at me as someone unable to produce coherent thought (yes, I know they actually haven't said that about me, but I stand by my notion).
Yet they were adamant that young children had the ability to give informed consent.
It's not rocket surgery.

Sorry for the rant. 

Edited by BassTractor