Why become a member? ×

2x112 or 212 cab

frazerjt

Hi all,

I've read a great discussion on Talkbass (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/2x12-vs-two-1x12-cabs-pros-and-cons.1319015/) weighing up the differences between 2x 112 or a 1x212 and was wondering if anyone on here ran a similar setup for comparison ,( even a 212 and 112). 

I've recently traded my SVT CL (still going through seperation anxiety) for a GK Legacy 500 and Darkglass 112 cab which I'm really happy with. The aim was to get something I could carry with one hand for  small gigs but still have something for louder rehearsals and gigs with my prog band. So, I still have an Ampeg 4x10 for this reason but is looking and feeling too heavy for me to hang on to. The modular cab approach mentioned above sounds appealing to me. I should mention the 112 is as light as a feather.. I honestly don't know how it's possible it's that light.

Taking price out of the equation, what are your thoughts on this?

cheers

Edited by frazerjt
Added text

3 hours ago, frazerjt said:

Taking price out of the equation, what are your thoughts on this?

IMO if you need to go light then a modular, building blocks approach to a rig is best way. I've done this for the last 10 years.

My main rigs have been 1, 2, or 3 112's. I even had a 212 and 112, but that was a little too heavy. I believe GK Legacy heads go down to 2 ohms so you can use any combination of cabs. My Ampeg 410 weighed 90lbs. No one needs to carry that much weight anymore.

I've tried 210's but they are heavier and the 112's on the market these days are very, very good and have no down sides.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

Assuming the same drivers, the same total internal volume, and the same port tuning in the case of a ported cab, this is a case where 1+1=2, pure and simple. What discussion on this simple concept could possibly take five pages I can't imagine, and life's too short for me to bother finding out. Arguing about minutiae ad infinitum is why I left Talkbass ten years ago.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Assuming the same drivers, the same total internal volume, and the same port tuning in the case of a ported cab, this is a case where 1+1=2, pure and simple. What discussion on this simple concept could possibly take five pages I can't imagine, and life's too short for me to bother finding out. Arguing about minutiae ad infinitum is why I left Talkbass ten years ago.

What five pages? You're the third post. 

I've had a Vanderkley 212 and 2x112. No real difference aside from portability and flexibility with the 2x112's. I used to take a single 12 to small café gigs and the two separate 112's to larger venues. To be fair, the Vanderkey neo cabinets are all quite light.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I've had a Vanderkley 212 and 2x112. No real difference aside from portability and flexibility with the 2x112's. I used to take a single 12 to small café gigs and the two separate 112's to larger venues. To be fair, the Vanderkey neo cabinets are all quite light.

Sweet, I think that's what I was looking to hear as that's how I'd imagine I would use the two.

7 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Working my way through them Bill but have a feeling I may remember your post once I get to the end whilst cradling my head in my hands.

I have only had one rig for the last 12 years, so the notion to deep dive and overthink where to go next is strong, but I'm guessing it'll mostly be fine wherever I end up (and of course price is going to be the main factor but that wouldn't get the discussion going very far would it!?) 

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO if you need to go light then a modular, building blocks approach to a rig is best way. I've done this for the last 10 years.

My main rigs have been 1, 2, or 3 112's. I even had a 212 and 112, but that was a little too heavy. I believe GK Legacy heads go down to 2 ohms so you can use any combination of cabs. My Ampeg 410 weighed 90lbs. No one needs to carry that much weight anymore.

I've tried 210's but they are heavier and the 112's on the market these days are very, very good and have no down sides.

Thanks Chris,

Out of interest what make were your cabs and amp for this set up? When would you use 2 vs 3 112s? 

3 hours ago, frazerjt said:

Thanks Chris,

Out of interest what make were your cabs and amp for this set up? When would you use 2 vs 3 112s? 

The cabs were Bergantino AE112's and the amp was an 800 watt Thunderfunk. I used 1 with an acoustic guitarist, 2 with my cover bands and 3 with a very loud blues rock trio. I liked the idea that every cab was a backup to the others.

In the end I replace the Bergs with 2 Barefaced Super Compact 112's. Loud and great tone in a very light weight box. These days my go-to amp is an Aguilar AG700, but the Thunderfunk still gets a gig now and then.

• Like 1

I've run dozens of different cabinet combinations over the years, from ridiculous tri-amp enclosures to quite simple 1x12 setups.

Personally, downsizing is the way to go; like you I'm running a Darkglass 112, which I figure I'll double to a 2 x 1x12 set up at some point (despite the fact that it's unlikely to be used in anger any time soon).  There's probably a ton of arguments for and against running a pair of 12s or a 2x12, but I find the Darkglass kit seems to do what I want, the high-frequency horn is wonderful, the cabinet is lightweight/portable, capable, pleasing on the eye and a pair would give me a degree of flexibility over a 2x12 (ie if I ever need to run a dual channel set-up); these points alone mean more to me than whether the frequency range of other cabinets extend a few Hz lower or higher.

We're just at the stage where bass doesn't necessarily require 15s or 18s to allow it to rumble.  I've got a Barefaced Big One as well if I needed it.

• Like 1

I’ve gone from traditional sized 410 & 210 (210 just for bigger gigs) to two lightweight 210s, which have diagonally spaced cones. Much easier to cart about, easier to place in the car, smaller footprint on stage, higher up than my 410 so easier to hear, all round makes life easier. Not overly expensive either, though they can now be had for much less than I paid, grr.

• Like 1

Well my vote goes with 2x112's. 

More convenient to only have to carry one for small gigs, and still easier to transport than a single 2x12 should you need a second one for larger gigs.

Plus the vertical stacking thing gives you a much better sound in your ears than a 2x12 firing at your ankles. 

That was my reasoning anyway. 

Which is why I just bought two 112's. 😁

IMG_20210823_112019.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well my vote goes with 2x112's. 

More convenient to only have to carry one for small gigs, and still easier to transport than a single 2x12 should you need a second one for larger gigs.

Plus the vertical stacking thing gives you a much better sound in your ears than a 2x12 firing at your ankles. 

That was my reasoning anyway. 

Which is why I just bought two 112's. 😁

IMG_20210823_112019.jpg

I can feel the punch from those two hitting me in the back from here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a test I did a couple years ago.  I owned a pair I'd Aguilar 1x12s for a short time and a tested these against a pair of a mate's Barefaced 1x12s and my Big One.  

Hands down the both Barefaced set-ups won that shootout on all counts; they had more if the tonal characteristics I was chasing and were just more exciting compared to the Aguilar units.  That said, there was little between the two Barefaced 1x12s and the Big One and not enough to for me to consider shelling out for a pair, so I sold the Aguilars and stuck with the Big One until last December.

The Darkglass (IMO) suits me better than Big One, but there's not much in it.

20190406_102855.jpg

• Like 2

Modular all the way for me.  Right now I use a 1x10 combo and when I need more oomph I take an extra 1x10 with me and stack them.  Might get a second cab (or more likely 2 matching shiny new ones) so I have the option of using the removable head + 1 or 2 nice, lightweight cabs because the combo is a bit of a lump.  But for now what I have works great for me.  The 250W 1x10 is more than enough for rehearsals and small gigs, lifting up the combo and bumping up to 500W is useful for bigger gigs.

Edited by neepheid

36 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I know it's deeply unfair of me, but I see those cabs, I see where it says Ashdown, and I just assume they'll each weigh a ton! 😂

The older ported cabs were / are heavier .. these have Neo Speakers making the cab light and they are a sealed cab too

Edited by BassAdder27