Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new rig. Needs to be as lightweight and powerful as possible!

binky_bass

So with the Mesa rig going out the door soon, I'm in the market for a new rig. 

I'm looking to go as lightweight as possible and with some good power behind it! 

Been looking at a GR Duel 1400 head plus a GR Carbon 410+ 1200w cab. Head is 3kg and the cab is 15kg. 

Any other suggestions before I commit to the above? 

Ta. 

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can’t think of much, if anything that can compete with those weights. Add in the power ratings and I’d say unless you find the sound truly hideous the gear selected looks to be the winner.

I suspect the GR set up will be what I go for, but I'm always interested to see what the Basschat collective has to say on such a subject before going forward!

2 minutes ago, eude said:

I personally would consider a more modular setup, maybe the GR head with 2 X 2x10s or 2 X 2x12s?

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to that? Two 210 carbon cabs would come in at £1800 and weigh 20kg total. The 410 carbon is £1175 and weighs 15kg. I get going modular to save weight, but the 410 is already a mere 15kg. Cheaper and lighter that two 210 cabs. 

11 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to that? Two 210 carbon cabs would come in at £1800 and weigh 20kg total. The 410 carbon is £1175 and weighs 15kg. I get going modular to save weight, but the 410 is already a mere 15kg. Cheaper and lighter that two 210 cabs. 

Purely just for more flexibility, but I take your point. When a big cab weighs in at 15kg, there's very little point going for 2 smaller cabs I guess.

Eude

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Depends why you are going for lightweight cabs.

IMO if you have a "problem" why would you carry two cabs at the same time? I have a bad back and usually gig 2 112 cabs. I never carry both, because that is twice the weight of carrying one. The number of trips to the car are irrelevant. Why would I want to lift more than the least weight for each trip?

I would always go for multiple 112's or 210's and build up the rig from there. Yes, it's more expensive, but each lift is better, which is the whole point if you have to go light for a physical reason. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

Depends why you are going for lightweight cabs.

IMO if you have a "problem" why would you carry two cabs at the same time? I have a bad back and usually gig 2 112 cabs. I never carry both, because that is twice the weight of carrying one. The number of trips to the car are irrelevant. Why would I want to lift more than the least weight for each trip?

I would always go for multiple 112's or 210's and build up the rig from there. Yes, it's more expensive, but each lift is better, which is the whole point if you have to go light for a physical reason. 

Absolutely valid point, you wouldn't carry two at the same time (in theory!) 

My spine is capable of some pretty heavy lifting, but I'm aware it won't be forever. Two 210s is a decent way to go for sure, but it does add significant expense. If I 'needed' the lightest of the light gear for medical reasons, then the need would outweigh the expenses for sure and I'd likely go for the two 210 option. 

I have, as of a few minutes ago, officially placed a deposit on a GR Duel 1400 and a GR Carbon 410+ which matching GR covers of course!

Let's hope it was the right move... 

• Like 1