Why become a member? ×

Genesis / Steve Hackett Manchester Fri 24th Sept

As some may know, Hackett and Genesis are playing the same night in Manchester (Hackett’s was rescheduled from last year, IIRC after we’d bought the Genesis tickets). We were initially told that, given the circumstances, the Genesis ticket would be good for either night, but my friend has just spoken to the venue and that isn’t the case, it’s definitely the Friday only. I’ll be going to see Genesis as it’s a once-in-a-blue-moon gig, but it’s pretty disappointing. I do wonder what the chances of a Hackett refund are. 

Anyone else with the same problem? 

If the hacket one was rescheduled to the same night as something else a refund should be possible, or you could just ship on to someone else.

If I was in that area I would go for it, never been to a bad hacket gig, and given the choice it would be which I would go for!

I’ve seen Hackett relatively recently and although I enjoyed it ironically found his band not authentic enough for me (I think we’ve discussed this before). I’d sooner see Genesis, regardless of what the performance may be like, simply because they’re one of my all-time favourite bands and this may - who knows - be one of the last opportunities to see them. So it’s no contest for me in that respect. 😉

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’d sooner see Genesis, regardless of what the performance may be like, simply because they’re one of my all-time favourite bands

Ironically, I would rather not see Genesis as they are one of my all-time favourite bands!

I was the same with the last Rush tour.

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

bittersweet why? I loved the Hacket shows I have seen, they are really well done.

Some people were saying in a different thread(s) they don't like Hacket's singer. Maybe that's not a viewpoint shared by all.

Why wouldn't you like to see the Genesis shows (out of interest)?

Edited by Nail Soup

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Some people were saying in a different thread(s) they don't like Hacket's singer.

Oh Nad? No I am not a great fan of him, but once the thing is started its ok. 

Maybe that's not a viewpoint shared by all.

Most people I think, but seemingly not Steve Hacket! To be fair his singing isn't that bad

Why wouldn't you like to see the Genesis shows (out of interest)?

Because Phil Collins can't sing the songs any more, and he can't drum.  Nad would sound better doing them.

I assume that the other two can do it, so the keys and guitars are fine although obviously they were never as good with the guitar as Steve Hacket anyway.

And I was given trick of the tail when I was 13 and it is still one of my favourite albums, I know that genesis probably wouldn't do it but just as well, i wouldn't want to hear it butchered.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So what was the problem with it? I know quite a few people who went to other gigs and were impressed.

Mainly the drummer. 

He’s clearly a monster musician, but his feel is as straight as hell. Every little bit of Collins / Thompson swing has been left on the floor in the rehearsal room.

Tempos are all over the shop (may have been deliberate, so I’ll not blame the drummer for that one) - Afterglow flew along and lost every bit of poignancy. Some songs jarringly leap forward.

The arrangement of I Know What I Like needs to be erased from history.

Some pivotal ‘Seconds Out’ moments are MIA (the dead-stop end of Cinema Show), the last notes of Los Endos (ends with a whimper).

Steve’s absolutely entitled to do what he wants, but he’s thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Lights & sound were great, tho.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Mainly the drummer. 

He’s clearly a monster musician, but his feel is as straight as hell. Every little bit of Collins / Thompson swing has been left on the floor in the rehearsal room.

Tempos are all over the shop (may have been deliberate, so I’ll not blame the drummer for that one) - Afterglow flew along and lost every bit of poignancy. Some songs jarringly leap forward.

The arrangement of I Know What I Like needs to be erased from history.

Some pivotal ‘Seconds Out’ moments are MIA (the dead-stop end of Cinema Show), the last notes of Los Endos (ends with a whimper).

Steve’s absolutely entitled to do what he wants, but he’s thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Lights & sound were great, tho.

I thought for a minute you were referring to the Genesis gig - which I know you really enjoyed - so was a bit baffled. 😂

When I’ve seen Hackett previously the above were also some of my issues. The feel and sonics - not just the notes - are extremely important to me, and I just don’t feel his band pays enough attention to that. That’s their prerogative, obviously; maybe they’re not interested in being faithful. But I want it to be faithful, so for me it doesn’t really work as well as it could. And the wrong drummer for the material - in any band - is a complete no-no. 

Quite honestly, although I haven’t seen Hackett on this tour, there is no comparison between the last time I saw him and the recent Genesis gig, even with Phil how he is and the shortage of older material. The Genesis gig was light years better.