Why become a member? ×

Basses you regret flogging

Veils

[quote name='Johngh' post='47753' date='Aug 20 2007, 02:54 PM']Alembic Mark King, I bought it new for a very reasonable price, and then it sat in its case forever. It was very fiddly to set up but sounded great. Should never have sold it ![/quote]

and now i've just parted with the blighter,kinda missin it too.....................was a tough one to get set up just right though!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='47619' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:22 AM']I really regret selling my US Precision (went to marthebass so I know it will be well looked after). It was the best playing bass I've ever owned. It was just too thuddy for gigging in the 3 piece. It had to go (to fund my latest purchase) and I'm happy with what I got.

I've sold some beauties in my time (an 80's Status, Fender Jazz, Ric 4003) but the P-Bass was my fave.

Anyone know the way to the closest Foreign Legion Recruiting office?[/quote]

OHM, You'll be pleased to know it saw 'first light' with my [limited] playing last night. You're right about the playing - plays much nicer than I remebered my old (albeit 20 years ago) JV precision. Think the Sterling (though having more 'life' to it) might get left at home even more than it does already.

My 'mistake' was a Westone T3 fretless - px'd it for a G**tar, holds head in shame.....

QUOTE(Johngh @ Aug 20 2007, 02:54 PM)
Alembic Mark King, I bought it new for a very reasonable price, and then it sat in its case forever. It was very fiddly to set up but sounded great. Should never have sold it !

al embic wrote

and now i've just parted with the blighter,kinda missin it too.....................was a tough one to get set up just right though!!

Yes it was, too many switches and knobs........here she is though....

[attachment=1872:Alembic_Body.JPG]

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='TheRev' post='47748' date='Aug 20 2007, 02:48 PM']You numpty :)
All of the ones I've sold were 'starter' type cheapo basses so I don't miss them. I do wish that I still had my first fretless though. (Yamaha RBX) I suspect that with a decent pickup and bridge it'd have a better sound than my current fretless...[/quote]
I can only agree with you Dave !!! :wacko:

How's things with you BTW?

Nik

Moral of the story... don't sell your basses. :)

I regret my Warwick Corvette. Though after I got my Thumb, it wouldn't be needed so I sold it. Truth is, they are very different basses and I do miss the Corvette's look and what it offered tonally. My sister was upset I sold her too.

a very early Goodfellow...so early in fact it was serial no. 001. (I didn't know much about this bass but a friend of mine was in a band with Bernie a while back. He vaguely remembered that the whole thing was put together on his living room floor!)

I picked it up for a very good price in a local backstreet 2nd hand music shop and it was my main (only) bass for many years. Although a bit tatty round the edges this was by far the best bass ever! In a moment of madness I swapped it for a Jaydee (which I didn't get on with).

A year or so after I got rid of it I actually spotted it on some music shop's website where it was for sale once again but unfortunately there was just no way at that time that I had the funds to buy it back. Gutted. And of course, now it is long gone. Bah. Attached pic is from said music shop's website (complete with stuck on price tag!).

peace

c

I miss the J-Retro from my MIM 5-string Jazz, should've kept it for my cheap J copy :)

Miss a Dean Edge Q4 I had for about a year, that was a great bass for not a lot of money and I will eventually own another, just coz.

I have now made the decision never to sell again unless I *really* must, so I'll just get a big collection instead! Almost sold my fretless Groove a few years back, so glad I chickened out. It may not get loads of use but when it does I remember why it's so good.

[quote name='3V17C' post='48172' date='Aug 21 2007, 09:33 AM']a very early Goodfellow...so early in fact it was serial no. 001. (I didn't know much about this bass but a friend of mine was in a band with Bernie a while back. He vaguely remembered that the whole thing was put together on his living room floor!)

I picked it up for a very good price in a local backstreet 2nd hand music shop and it was my main (only) bass for many years. Although a bit tatty round the edges this was by far the best bass ever! In a moment of madness I swapped it for a Jaydee (which I didn't get on with).

A year or so after I got rid of it I actually spotted it on some music shop's website where it was for sale once again but unfortunately there was just no way at that time that I had the funds to buy it back. Gutted. And of course, now it is long gone. Bah. Attached pic is from said music shop's website (complete with stuck on price tag!).

peace

c[/quote]

Electromusic! I remember seeing that and drooling for hours.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='48094' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:14 AM']I can only agree with you Dave !!! :wacko:

How's things with you BTW?

Nik[/quote]

Hi Nik,

I'm good mate - you still got the Peavey amp or have you punted it on?

natural 2 band MM stingray, maple neck and fret board, black scratch plate and it had the old style bridge with mute pads
loved it, classic stingray sound.
think i had to sell it to get a washing machine or something like that for the house as we were broke.
if i had the money i'd hunt another one down.

I've owned some great basss but the only one I regretted selling - and by that I mean was kicking myself for weeks afterwards - was my Modulus Flea, and the keen reader will know that it came back to me via a rather circuitous route several months later. I do regret selling my Shergold Marathon but as it hasn't actually left Beedster Towers yet I'm not feeling the pain. The way I see it, the old ones were the journey that bought me to where I am now as a player and many simply wouldn't work for me now (specifically several EBMMs and several more active Fenders). Also, with limited resources, if I hadn't sold the old ones, I wouldn't have been able to buy the ones I have now, all of which I'm extremely happy with.
I should mention that although I don't regret selling any past basses, I certainly regret buying several, mostly - once again - active Fenders :)
Chris

[quote name='3V17C' post='48172' date='Aug 21 2007, 09:33 AM']a very early Goodfellow...so early in fact it was serial no. 001. (I didn't know much about this bass but a friend of mine was in a band with Bernie a while back. He vaguely remembered that the whole thing was put together on his living room floor!)

peace

c[/quote]
Deepest sympathies!!

I actually saw that bass for sale in the City Road pawn shop in Angel Islington in 1993, when I was hunting down a Wal bass that had been stolen from me. It was a brilliant bass and I kind of regret that I didn't buy it then, especially as it was serial number 001!

Nik

[quote name='TheRev' post='48318' date='Aug 21 2007, 02:02 PM']Hi Nik,

I'm good mate - you still got the Peavey amp or have you punted it on?[/quote]
Glad to hear it Dave.

Sad to say that the Peavey went to make way for my Hartke HA 3500A as I needed more volume.. Miss it though as it was so neat and functional! Still have my Peavey Mark IV head that I am definitely keping.. Thinking back, I should have bought another and bi-amped my rig...

Nik

My regret is a (what I found out years later) Satillite P-Bass copy

It was an Ash bodied through neck,weighed a ton,and naffed my back up for life,mapleneck and fingerboard,brass nut,and gold lespaul style volume and tone controls...Dark stain,20 frets,PHAT bridge saddles and Schaller style machineheads,it sounded Raw and aggro,it fitted the Goth thing I had going at the time.

I flogged it in College to some guy called Shane for an increased price,and bought an Aria Pro II fretless.

It needed a new fingerboard...I would love to have it again! At nearly anyprice.

Edited by ARGH

great thread!

I really regret selling my 82 mij ibanez blazer custom series..to this date there has been nothing like it!

regret though, not buying a lawsuit tokia...a fretless jazz for £80 in the mid 80's!! massive bummer and what a superb instrument.

I really regret selling my 1963 Framus Star bass in 1967 and giving up playing. I should have kept it and found another way to pay for a new roof for the car, but you can't turn the clock back. If ever I could find another at a sensible price I'd have it like a shot.

I had Chris and Martin at The Gallery put together a bass for me about 10 years ago - it wasn't a Sei (couldn't afford one at the time), but rather a custom reworking of a bass body I bought at Brandoni in Wembley. It went from a rather unpleasant-looking, Westone-style pine lump with a 21-fret rosewood fingerboard, to the sleek black bass you see below. It also got to wear a Kahler trem, a Bartolini MME pickup, a Schack active circuit and a 28-fret ebony fingerboard. I sold it back in 2002, as I'd been made redundant and needed to make the rent money. :) I've regretted it ever since - that bass had serious sentimental value, it got me through some very difficult times, not to mention that it was my first bass that was in any way custom, and was completely unique. Now I'm a man of means again, I would love to track it down, but I have no idea where to begin. I sold it to The Bass Cellar in Denmark St, but they don't have any record of who they sold it to.

This is it...

i think that'll be the Wal MkIII fretless that I probably should have kept on to, here's a pic (courtesy of R5R5 who was the previous owner)

edit: and why did I sell it? Because I already had a fretless bass, I thought I had *TOO MANY BASSES* and should get rid of it !!! LOL

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Russ' post='48484' date='Aug 21 2007, 07:23 PM']I had Chris and Martin at The Gallery put together a bass for me about 10 years ago - it wasn't a Sei (couldn't afford one at the time), but rather a custom reworking of a bass body I bought at Brandoni in Wembley. It went from a rather unpleasant-looking, Westone-style pine lump with a 21-fret rosewood fingerboard, to the sleek black bass you see below. It also got to wear a Kahler trem, a Bartolini MME pickup, a Schack active circuit and a 28-fret ebony fingerboard. I sold it back in 2002, as I'd been made redundant and needed to make the rent money. :) I've regretted it ever since - that bass had serious sentimental value, it got me through some very difficult times, not to mention that it was my first bass that was in any way custom, and was completely unique. Now I'm a man of means again, I would love to track it down, but I have no idea where to begin. I sold it to The Bass Cellar in Denmark St, but they don't have any record of who they sold it to.

This is it...

[/quote]

Looks pretty cool Russ - and the Mesa 1516BE Cabinet hiding just out of shot!