Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L L2000E 1982

ped

37 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Having given this a great deal of consideration, I've decided that I will be modding my never-to-exist L-2000 thus:

neck – series / inner coil

bridge – series / inner coil

selector – neck / bridge

vol – neck tone – bridge tone

No active, no parallel, just one pickup or the other, the volume knob the only thing controlling both pickups

Why not have parallel single OMG like a L1000? 

On 24/08/2021 at 17:43, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I've played an ASAT many moons ago.

I recently acquired an SB-2 Tribute.

The ASAT had a glossier neck finish, but that's all I can remember. 

I can't fault the nut cutting, fret work and fit/finish on the SB-2. 

The bridge and pickups are the same as the American instruments. Not sure about the tuners, though. 

I had the opportunity to play a Tribute L2K at a rehearsal one time when the battery in my SS1 died and the nearest shops were closed. The drummer's other band left their gear there and he offered me the Tribute to play for what was left of the evening. Though it sounded basically the same as my US L2000 (bit of a mongrel, a mid 90's L2K body with an early 80's SB2 neck), the Tribute neck felt very different, to be honest, and the tuners were not the same, they felt cheap and had that brighter chrome finish characteristic of low cost Chinese hardware. There's potentially a really lovely bass in them but, for me, there's a lot of fettling and finishing required to make them feel the same as a US one. I'd definitely look to replace the tuners.

edit-> lovely looking bass, Ped, I hope it meets your expectations. I'd love a pickup blend pot, rather than a 3-way switch but, other than that, it's hard to fault them. I have one of the switches to do the K mod on mine but the thought of that soldering job is quite intimidating so I have put it off for years 😂

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

Now released from customs and due at my local depot tomorrow... I might go and pick it up/pay. I tried to pay over the phone but she said better to wait until it's arrived at the York depot 'in case something happens to it' on the way 😄 I know what she means but it kind of sounded scary/threatening!

The fee sounds far too little so I'm trying to prepare for the worst but I'll be glad to pay the figure she quoted over the phone...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ped said:

Now released from customs and due at my local depot tomorrow... I might go and pick it up/pay. I tried to pay over the phone but she said better to wait until it's arrived at the York depot 'in case something happens to it' on the way 😄 I know what she means but it kind of sounded scary/threatening!

The fee sounds far too little so I'm trying to prepare for the worst but I'll be glad to pay the figure she quoted over the phone...

“We ‘ave yer bass, but there’s been some unforeseen costs, ain’t there, Reg?”

”Yeah, Ron. Ha ha!”

image.jpeg.6b7b6934480a1d41930d98b32619a2ef.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s here!!! Spent a little while getting her strung up and adjusted, pleased to report the neck is dead flat and I’m able to get my preferred super low action. I’ve been playing it in passive series mode whilst I get it set up. It’s so smooth sounding - and it does a great P sound, so I’ve got rounds on it to add to the P I have with flats. 

More later once I’ve had time to properly play it!!

9ECE0670-E55E-4061-9F8B-C4BCACD51CCE.jpeg

12DB1E99-09CA-43D0-A98B-EA332D2560A2.jpeg

6581A0A2-01BD-4E2B-BEFF-C8C1F7F527B8.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ped said:

It’s here!!! Spent a little while getting her strung up and adjusted, pleased to report the neck is dead flat and I’m able to get my preferred super low action. I’ve been playing it in passive series mode whilst I get it set up. It’s so smooth sounding - and it does a great P sound, so I’ve got rounds on it to add to the P I have with flats. 

More later once I’ve had time to properly play it!!

9ECE0670-E55E-4061-9F8B-C4BCACD51CCE.jpeg

12DB1E99-09CA-43D0-A98B-EA332D2560A2.jpeg

6581A0A2-01BD-4E2B-BEFF-C8C1F7F527B8.jpeg

Untill we see the critter on a tuning peg it hasn’t happened! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Do you have to turn down the treble and bass a bit to get a "normal" sound? I know they're cut-only, and am wondering how the pickups are seeming on this first day, before you've got used to them.

What kind of options do you have before you have the K mod added? Series and parallel?

It's a good way to balance the sound, and think I have found that turning each down about half way gives a naturally balanced tone. The sound is very smooth, using mostly both pickups in parallel currently. There's a nice bark midrange but it can get buried if you max the bass and treble. The sound is a little bit like the Smith sound in some ways, but with a more 'cocked wah' sound to it which I'm quite liking, although the pops on the G string aren't quite to my taste in this mode. I found EQing out some 2khz helped tame that but ideally I like everything to sound perfect flat. The front pickup in parallel is another great sound; very grindy and open sounding.

The current options pre-K mod are series/parallel (middle switch) affecting each pickup.

I still have a lot of experimenting to do; today I have spent so long adjusting and trying things out I have some ear fatigue and need to walk away and come back to it tomorrow or more likely tonight.

The neck feels exactly the same as my SB1 which is nice - I'm not particularly sensitive to different neck profiles but I was concerned it would be a bit wider.

It's not the lightest bass in the world but I mostly play sitting in my pants as you all know so that's fine. I think the body is mahogany, as all the chips show a very dark wood beneath.

The next and fretwork is perfect, action is bang on - so I'll see how I get on with finding 'my sound' over the coming days!!!

Cheers

ped

• Like 1

OK, back today with fresh ears. I've been having a lot of fun finding 'my' sounds. There's a lot to learn with this bass, it's not like normally when I get a bass and click with it right away, or realise it's not for me. This one has so much flexibility I feel it'll reveal it's secrets in time.

My fave 'go to' sound is like a 'dirty Ken Smith' - I sold my Smith basses as I felt they were a little too 'polite' for my style, and not very flexible. With both pickups selected in parallel, you get that Smith upper midrange, plinky G string and gnarly bottom end, paired with some lovely clank from the now beautifully setup neck (even if I do say so myself!). It has a growl and even output which I think will be fantastic in the mix. The G string popped in particular I spent some time getting right - it seemed too loud and too much Lowe mids - adjusting the pickup poles and heights has finely balanced this now to be a really clear 'plink' with a lot of girth at the same time. I think it sounds best in Active mode in this setting - it seems to shift the treble centre northwards, allowing me to roll off some using the passive control, leaving plenty on tap if required.

IMG_8637.jpeg

Next up is a P bass sound. Sometimes when selecting an individual pickup I feel like a bass loses something. Certainly I've never been able to coax a great P sound from any jazz I've had (including my Celinder). This felt like the case when I solo'd the front on the L2000 too, using the same settings as above. However after some playing around I have found the key. Passive mode, series, less treble rolloff, more bass rolloff. It gives some forth, tamed with the rolloff, and the crunchy full range of the pickup comes through with authority. I'd say a 'P on steroids which is what people generally say, however I think it sounds very P like, and in fact going parallel gives a more clanky aggressive steroids vice. In series, it's bang on.

IMG_8638.jpeg

Whilst I don't think the back pickup sound is really me, I do love my Stingray. The L2000 does an OK impression when played finger style, active, in series. I back off the tone control and turn up the bass a touch. It doesn't do the Stingray slap sound (at least I haven't worked it out yet) and suspect the pickup is too far back for that (K-mod middle coils is allegedly similar). It's a really punchy sound with plenty of definition - I will have to spend longer with this one.

IMG_8639.jpeg

..So that's how far I've got - I look forward to learning the instrument and allowing the tones to arrive in good time. 

What a beast!

I've backed off the vol about 1/3 on each setting, because I like having some boost on tap - unlike the MFD in my SB1, it doesn't seem to adjust the character of the output when you adjust the first half of the travel. If it did, I think that would throw another spanner in the works and give me a whole other variable to get my head around!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

BTW, if you decide that those knobs have a little too much mojo, G&L now do that style again, they're called CLF Research knobs, can be ordered direct from them iirc

That's a great idea. I actually ordered a replacement knob for my CLF Research L2K. The original one got damaged in transit when I bought the bass here in the UK. Not sure how that could happen but it happened. Even worse, it also happened before when I bought a CLF L1K, also from a retailer here in the UK. Not sure what these shipping companies are doing to the boxes. Maybe they don't like G&L. Anyway, I would recommend buying the knob from the G&L store but have it sent to someone you know in the US. This person can then send it to you in a small envelope for just a few dollars. Don't ask G&L to send it to you here in the UK directly as their shipping costs range are crazy and range from $55 (USPS) to $179 (FedEx, two days). The knob itself only costs $15.

Link: Knob - CLF Research - Bass - G&L Online Store (g-l-online-store.myshopify.com)

• ped changed the title to NBD - G&L L2000E 1982