Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L L2000E 1982

ped

23 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Wait till you read Leo’s patent for the slot pole pieces…

AH yes the bit about the slot angle changing the tone? I think I can detect a difference depending on the angle of the hex hole too 🤣

21 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Wait till you read Leo’s patent for the slot pole pieces…

Will we need to have tissues at the ready?

Being slightly more serious, would the @ped-mod of turning the rear pickup's OMG mode into simply a single coil mode be really easy? Instead of going from back coil to cap-laden front coil, you would just bypass the front coil, yus? Leaving the cap intact, doing sod all.

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Will we need to have tissues at the ready?

Being slightly more serious, would the @ped-mod of turning the rear pickup's OMG mode into simply a single coil mode be really easy? Instead of going from back coil to cap-laden front coil, you would just bypass the front coil, yus? Leaving the cap intact, doing sod all.

I think any of the mods are fairly easy to be honest (not for me to do personally, you understand) but I don't know if it would sound any good like that. The nice thing about the OMG mode is that you get the frontal bass from the side of the pickup which you can cut and adjust to taste, a bit like adding too much chip spice to your chips and shaking the chips over a sink to remove the granules to taste, or something

9 minutes ago, ped said:

I think any of the mods are fairly easy to be honest (not for me to do personally, you understand) but I don't know if it would sound any good like that. The nice thing about the OMG mode is that you get the frontal bass from the side of the pickup which you can cut and adjust to taste, a bit like adding too much chip spice to your chips and shaking the chips over a sink to remove the granules to taste, or something

It's good to hear that you like it as it is, are satisfied with it as it is. It doesn't sound like you miss the straightforward series option available on the modern version, either 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It's good to hear that you like it as it is, are satisfied with it as it is. It doesn't sound like you miss the straightforward series option available on the modern version, either 👍🏻

I'll have to try a newer one to see what it sounds like, but I'm absolutely over the moon with the sound and feel of this bass. It's my 27th bass and although I'm in the honeymoon period arguably, it really feels both hugely flexible and a perfect mixture of everything I've loved about my favourite basses up until now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ped said:

AH yes the bit about the slot angle changing the tone? I think I can detect a difference depending on the angle of the hex hole too 🤣

Yeah, slot parallel to the string to have a fender jazz/precision type response, perpendicular for a musicman type response with stronger fundamental .

oddly enough it did work!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Quite! Have their never been pitchforks at the castle gates, demanding that their Oberschlapper appear on the balcony with a bb1200?

Nah the Yamaha craze is a recent thing, a few years back if you didn’t have an Celinder or John Shukers phone number on speed dial then you were doing something wrong

• Like 2

So glad I stumbled on this topic. I have a 2019 CLF L2K and an '89 SB2 and I recently put the L2K up for sale here. After reading all your comments on using different settings and spending time on it, I took it out the case tonight and really started to see what this beast can actually do and how to use the tone controls more effectively, rather than just crank it all up. 

Think I'm gonna take it off sale now as I loved having a noodle on it, and damn it plays so good. 

IMG_20210408_133648.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, longtimefred said:

So glad I stumbled on this topic. I have a 2019 CLF L2K and an '89 SB2 and I recently put the L2K up for sale here. After reading all your comments on using different settings and spending time on it, I took it out the case tonight and really started to see what this beast can actually do and how to use the tone controls more effectively, rather than just crank it all up. 

Think I'm gonna take it off sale now as I loved having a noodle on it, and damn it plays so good. 

That’s good to hear!! Yes the ore really does require careful consideration and it behaves very differently to what people are generally used to. I’d really like to try one of the new models and see how it differs. You’ve got a great matching pair there. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 10:25, Ricky Rioli said:

I found this little video entertaining - the guy uses his L-2000 to try to impersonate his P, J and Stingray

Very difficult to tell given the difference in player and so on but that sounds quite different to my bass I think. Certainly the front pickup P bass impression sounds like it loses something of the way a P bass blooms each note, for want of a better expression.

I used mine yesterday at a band practice and was super happy with how it sounded in the mix - the P sounded exactly like the SB1 with rounds, I think - and fully open in parallel the slap sound was full, punchy and clear - the keyboard player said it sounded like my Vigier, totally unprompted...

I found myself playing over the back pickup into my old FX25 quite a lot which was bang on. 

Before our practice we had a few hours to check out the Emergency Services Museum in Sheffield. I had my bass on my back so I reckon I have the only G&L that's ever been in a fire engine, although I might be wrong

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ped said:

Tried to record a clip today. Forgot to press record on the computer. 

This gives us a chance to make requests.....

Mine would be: your three favourite settings .... first demoed all playing the same music .... then demoed each playing something the setting suits best.